PDA

View Full Version : Patient summary

Worriedwellornot
22-05-19, 19:00
Today I’ve been given patient access to my medical records at my GP surgery. There are literally hundreds of entries of numerous dr visits, blood tests and tests for so many different ‘illnesses ‘ . I must have cost the NHS thousands over the last 30 years. Over the same period my husband has only 6 records! I have again had a battery of blood tests today and waiting on the results. I’m not sure it’s a good idea to let those of us with HA access to these records. Does anyone else think the same?

AMomentofClarity
22-05-19, 19:30
The million dollar (or pound) question is, "what are you doing about it?"

nomorepanic
22-05-19, 19:32
I like having access to mine but I use it wisely as I don't have HA so it doesn't worry me what I can see.

You may be able to ask them to restrict what you see.

Worriedwellornot
22-05-19, 19:49
Hi thanks for your response. In January I had 3 months of online CBT and was doing well but unfortunately I’ve had a horrible relapse in the last few weeks.i think The older I get the more chance of some of these ‘illnesses’ coming to pass. I really wish I haven’t wasted 30 years on this horrible HA. Hopefully if all my tests are clear I’m going to re engage with my CBT

Worriedwellornot
22-05-19, 19:50
Thanks Nic. I actually like having access to it as I hope it can keep me accountable and reassured

Fishmanpa
22-05-19, 20:22
You could always have your husband re-set your password so you can't willy nilly go looking at it all the time ;) Then, he can wean you off and log in for you when needed.

Positive thoughts

Worriedwellornot
22-05-19, 20:24
True but I know I would badger him until he let me look. It’s so debilitating

Fishmanpa
22-05-19, 20:40
True but.....

There's that word.....:whistles:

Positive thoughts

pulisa
22-05-19, 20:47
What benefit would you get from having a look? You say HA is debilitating so why do you need access?

Worriedwellornot
22-05-19, 21:02
Hi Pulisa I’ve been using it for reassurance for example I had blood Liver tests today and I wanted to see what my results were and when I had the last test. Although I appreciate things might have changed or progressed in the intervening weeks. So I suppose it’s not reassuring really.....

pulisa
22-05-19, 21:16
It's good that you can see how this wouldn't be reassuring and obviously it wasn't as you are having more tests and seeking out your previous results to speculate and ruminate..

I'd give a lot of thought into what you actually get out of having access..Personally I think health records are best kept with the professionals when you have HA. There is so much scope for misinterpretation and needless angst so why put yourself through it?

AMomentofClarity
22-05-19, 21:18
It's good that you can see how this wouldn't be reassuring and obviously it wasn't as you are having more tests and seeking out your previous results to speculate and ruminate..

I'd give a lot of thought into what you actually get out of having access..Personally I think health records are best kept with the professionals when you have HA. There is so much scope for misinterpretation and needless angst so why put yourself through it?

I completely agree with this. It’s guaranteed to do much more harm than good.

RadioGaGa
22-05-19, 21:19
I don't think it's bad for people with HA to access their files... if anything, it might make them "waken up" and see how many times they were wrong. I can't talk here - my file wouldn't be much better.

Have you been given them in the Lloyd George folder - e.g. are you transferring practice?

Some doctors apparently use abbreviations about patients in their notes, which include the following (it's all a bit light hearted)

PRATTFO - Patient Reassured And Told To F**k Off
CNS-QNS - Central Nervous System - Quantity Not Sufficient
DIC - Death Is Coming
GPO - Good for Parts Only
PAFO - P*ssed And Felll Over
UBI - Unexplained Beer Injury

There are many many more :yesyes::roflmao:

Gee
22-05-19, 21:20
My surgery offer this and I’ve stayed away from it, it’s most definitely very dangerous in anyone with HA’s hands, I would go over and over every aspect and I expect I’d find some details of my operation I had as a child that would stress the hell out of me or stuff to do with my labor etc just a minefield of panic attacks waiting to happen! Bad enough having triggers at all ... don’t go looking for them xxx

Worriedwellornot
22-05-19, 21:54
Thanks Pulisa I totally agree but i can’t stop myself. It’s like picking at a scab...

Worriedwellornot
22-05-19, 21:55
lol ! We can now sign a form at our GPS surgery asking for access to medical records. A lot is written in code but all the blood tests are shown in detail

Worriedwellornot
22-05-19, 21:57
I know what you mean. I’ve been trawling through hundreds of entries and found one for an urgent referral due to suspicions of colorectal cancer...that would have sent me spiralling if I’d seen it at the time,

MyNameIsTerry
23-05-19, 01:36
I don't think it's bad for people with HA to access their files... if anything, it might make them "waken up" and see how many times they were wrong. I can't talk here - my file wouldn't be much better.

Have you been given them in the Lloyd George folder - e.g. are you transferring practice?

Some doctors apparently use abbreviations about patients in their notes, which include the following (it's all a bit light hearted)

PRATTFO - Patient Reassured And Told To F**k Off
CNS-QNS - Central Nervous System - Quantity Not Sufficient
DIC - Death Is Coming
GPO - Good for Parts Only
PAFO - P*ssed And Felll Over
UBI - Unexplained Beer Injury

There are many many more :yesyes::roflmao:

Imagine how worried some of them will be then as this catches up with how social media gets employees into trouble. :doh:

RadioGaGa
23-05-19, 15:33
I'm certain PRATTFO will have appeared on my file many times. I wouldn't put it past my doctor

There was a lot of publicity around this I think I remember reading, because the infamous Harold Shipman had been talking in this 'medical slang' (as its called) to a hospital consultant. However from what I have heard and read, its certainly not just used by Shipman!

MyNameIsTerry
24-05-19, 02:07
I'm certain PRATTFO will have appeared on my file many times. I wouldn't put it past my doctor

There was a lot of publicity around this I think I remember reading, because the infamous Harold Shipman had been talking in this 'medical slang' (as its called) to a hospital consultant. However from what I have heard and read, its certainly not just used by Shipman!

I bet it's everywhere. It's what happens when people think patients/customers can't see what is written. A disciplinary offence anywhere I have worked as customer records were always available via a request under the DPA. But the offensive wording is a disciplinary matter regardless and usually covered under contract. So, I wonder when we will see patients accessing their records and raising complaints against medical staff for such things?

I used to work with an IT guy who used to go out to pharmacies doing work on their systems (you will understand this better than me) and he mentioned Shipman was using some of those. :ohmy: Must have made it easier for the cops once they cracked his slang then if it was along the lines of "murdered and grabbed their money (MGTM)! :scared15:

RadioGaGa
25-05-19, 12:46
Yeah I'm certain my GP wrote something snotty in my records when I went regarding the melanoma fear last year and also when I went regarding the absent pulseo n my foot. She made it quite clear at the time she was telling me to "eff off" but without actually saying it. But no doubt had she written PRATTFO, she'd have explained it away as something else (as they're quite good at doing)

Re: Shipman / computer systems. I can't think what he would have been using in pharmacies as he wouldn't have had access to the computers in pharmacies... He did write rxs for patients who were dead/didn't need the diamorphine/or over-prescribed (e.g. patient needed it, but he "collected" the excess). He's the reason why doctors are no longer allowed to collect anything from pharmacies for patients.