PDA

View Full Version : myoclonus Jerks I’m so scared

Kitkat99
23-05-19, 17:23
I just learnt about what myoclonus jerks are. I always get these ‘twitches’ were my whole leg of hand will move. I thought it was just anxiety but now I’ve learnt it can be due to serious neurological conditions. Including epilepsy which is been a constant fear of mine for years.

I’m so scared, I feel like I’m gunna throw up right now.

AMomentofClarity
23-05-19, 17:28
I just learnt about what myoclonus jerks are. I always get these ‘twitches’ were my whole leg of hand will move. I thought it was just anxiety but now I’ve learnt it can be due to serious neurological conditions. Including epilepsy which is been a constant fear of mine for years.

I’m so scared, I feel like I’m gunna throw up right now.

Ummmm, epilepsy isn’t exactly discrete....I’d bet $1Million on anxiety

Kitkat99
23-05-19, 17:44
Forgot to say they only happen when I’m relaxed, like watching tv or something never when I’m walking or using my hands.

Kitkat99
23-05-19, 19:49
Has no one experienced this then?

AMomentofClarity
23-05-19, 20:39
Has no one experienced this then?

If you scroll to the bottom of this thread you will see a list of related threads posted by others.

Kitkat99
23-05-19, 21:11
If you scroll to the bottom of this thread you will see a list of related threads posted by others.

I can’t find that

Fishmanpa
23-05-19, 21:27
Scroll to the bottom and there's a heading of "Similar Threads"

Help, I'm twitching all over, jerks and scared of als. Freaking out (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?206484-Help-I-m-twitching-all-over-jerks-and-scared-of-als-Freaking-out)

Christian -new here-bfs-& myoclonus (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?73457-Christian-new-here-bfs-amp-myoclonus)

Myoclonus (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?174970-Myoclonus)

Myoclonus (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?86285-Myoclonus)

Anyone ever experience jerks or myoclonus (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?196900-Anyone-ever-experience-jerks-or-myoclonus)

Positive thoughts

ka123
23-05-19, 22:28
I used to get these at the height of my anxiety. Especially before I was going to fall asleep. They’ve gone away since I’ve calmed down

RadioGaGa
23-05-19, 22:38
I have these all the time. They are definitely more frequent following a heavy weekend of drinking or anxiety. But they never scared me, even in my darkest, worst HA days. Everyone gets them now and again. Perfectly normal.

Good luck

Kitkat99
23-05-19, 22:52
I have these all the time. They are definitely more frequent following a heavy weekend of drinking or anxiety. But they never scared me, even in my darkest, worst HA days. Everyone gets them now and again. Perfectly normal.

Good luck

Does that include while you’re awake? Because I get them when watching tv or sometimes at college. It says they are only normally when falling asleep.

RadioGaGa
23-05-19, 23:00
Yes

I had one last week where I was sat watching TV, and my entire abdomen jerked (that was quite a weird one, come to think of it, but still benign)
If you read into the research on it, one theory is that its from the days we slept in trees or other precarious places, and it was our body's way of making sure we were safe before sleeping (or something along those lines)

It's nothing to worry about

Midnight-mouse
24-05-19, 10:08
Yes, my partner and I both get twitches at times. Him especially so, he had one just last night making his thigh jump around, he doesn’t have anxiety either so it really can be just one of those things.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kitkat99
24-05-19, 11:27
So all last night while watching tv I kept getting these jerks. Mostly in my fingers and toes and around my knee which causes my whole leg to move. I am super tired today because I woke up having panic attack after having nightmare about them at 4am.

I didn’t even notice these before, the only reason I remembered them was from when I was worried about epilepsy a few months back and waiting to have seizure at any minute. Eventually they stopped when I stopped worrying about epilepsy.

I read that most twitches go un noticed but can this really be counted as a twitch? I thought a twitch didn’t happen just once but was like a flutter of movement like when your eye lid twitches. What I’m having is like my finger just moves once. I’m not sure I would even explain it as a jerk, it’s not like I’m sat there and my leg violently kicks and then I’m like “what the hell was that” it’s a very small movement and normally happens when my legs are sweaty and uncomfortable. I get the hypnic jerks when falling asleep sometimes and they aren’t nearly as intense as that. Even just sitting here now my legs feel all weird and keep moving slightly.

Does this sound like anxiety?

Midnight-mouse
24-05-19, 12:25
Does this sound like anxiety?

The way you are talking about it definitely is anxiety. Honestly the jerks or twitches just sound like normal body things, especially if your relaxing after being particularly tense (anxiety) but they happen to everyone, they just don’t focus on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RadioGaGa
25-05-19, 12:40
I have researched brain tumours (closely linked with epilepsy) for the last seven years. I honestly feel I could fill in for a Neuro-oncologist or Neurologist seeing brain tumour patients and nobody would know :roflmao:"Self-declared" expert on it.

NO! Your symptoms are not worrying and they are NOT suggestive of epilepsy or anything else!!!!

​Good luck

elitejcx
27-05-19, 18:00
As someone who had epilepsy, you don’t await for seizure to happen they just happen without warning. I still get myoclonus jerks when I’m about to fall asleep, but they’re nothing like the jerks I got with epilepsy. Epileptic jerks are violent convulsions. Anyway, even in the worst case scenario, epilepsy is not a life limiting illness (in most cases).

JustBenn
11-02-20, 22:15
Hi, I'm glad I found this thread,

I've been having dizzy spells and funny feelings in head, like a relaxed state and sometimes I feel like I'm gonna faint if I dont lie down and muscle thumps since before Christmas, theres an article online stating that seizure symptoms wait around for a few years before actually having a full blown one and I'm convinced I have myoclonic seizure or sensory seizure without being unconscious.

This is a quote from the article that has got to me.

"Some patients with Batten disease may experience warning signs for months or years before the first “full-blown” seizure occurs. These warning signs may include feeling “funny” or dizzy, or having jerking and twitching for several years"

https://battendiseasenews.com/seizure-warning-signs/

Alde
12-02-20, 00:19
Hi, I'm glad I found this thread,

I've been having dizzy spells and funny feelings in head, like a relaxed state and sometimes I feel like I'm gonna faint if I dont lie down and muscle thumps since before Christmas, theres an article online stating that seizure symptoms wait around for a few years before actually having a full blown one and I'm convinced I have myoclonic seizure or sensory seizure without being unconscious.

This is a quote from the article that has got to me.

"Some patients with Batten disease may experience warning signs for months or years before the first “full-blown” seizure occurs. These warning signs may include feeling “funny” or dizzy, or having jerking and twitching for several years"

https://battendiseasenews.com/seizure-warning-signs/

Ridiculous thing to post on a forum for anxiety issues

lofwyr
12-02-20, 15:48
I get them all the time, sleeping or awake. I have a friend who gets them so badly he will throw things he is holding, and he doesn't have anxiety OR a neurological condition. Also have to agree, don't post symptom triggers like that about Batten disease. Some people will leave here a lot worse off than they came.

Jujube
13-02-20, 00:01
JustBenn....unless your a small child, I'm not sure why you are concerned about Batten Disease. Not only is it exceedingly rare, the onset is typically around toddler age!