PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to take this seriously....

golddustgirl1000
25-05-19, 02:39
Okay guys... today I was at the beach... my family kept feeding this squirrel that kept hanging around.. she was really thin but had what looked like her mammary glands hanging down from feeding babies...

Anyway.. I tried to stay away but then gave in - she came up next to me and I began to motion my hand down to throw chips at her... my other friend had been feeding her from his hand.. yeah no not me...

Anyway... she got eager and lunges forward to grab the chip from me.. it all happened so fast but her little hands grabbed my fingers and then I pulled them away...not sure what part of her touched me.. I don’t think her mouth.. definitely her hands tho...

My friend who is a nurse checked me and said he saw absolutely no breaks in the skin.

Do I need to worry about rabies?

The cdc says it’s incredibly rare in squirrels... and so do most other sites... but then there’s a few websites that say it’s rare but could happen... again no visible marks whatsoever..

Lana
25-05-19, 03:04
Seriously? No skin breakage and you are worried exactly about what? Plus, animals which are rabid are not friendly taking food from human hands - they bite to the bone. C'mon, please. I still have a sneaking suspicion you are joking.

golddustgirl1000
25-05-19, 03:22
Uh no... I wouldn’t take the time to write all that if I was joking....

BlueIris
25-05-19, 05:12
No, you have absolutely no need to worry about rabies whatsoever.

Midnight-mouse
25-05-19, 07:59
No, nothing to worry about.

I used to love feeding the squirrels at a local park, I had one that would wait for me in the mornings. Never got to feed one directly by hand though so I’m jealous of that!

Positive vibes

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
25-05-19, 14:03
Thank you for helping out a hungry mama squirrel :yesyes:

Positive thoughts

Hypo84
25-05-19, 14:26
There is greater chance that little squirrel gets rabies from you :)

nomorepanic
25-05-19, 15:20
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

golddustgirl1000
25-05-19, 21:01
Thank you guys for your replies... I know... I’m really trying not to worry.. I’ve read that it’s very very rare and the cdc doesn’t even recognize them as carrying vectors, but to check with local agencies just in case...... I just need to keep telling myself that..

DustingMyselfOff
25-05-19, 21:16
Nope, go ahead and relax. I rescued a bunch of baby squirrels years ago and raised them to adulthood. Once they were released into my yard they would come visit me and take peanuts from my hand, and one day one of them bit my finger in the process. Broke the skin, I bled, but didn't bother having it checked out. I just cleaned it well and carried on, and I'm still alive. :)
Sue

golddustgirl1000
27-05-19, 16:59
Uhh thank you guys. Trying not to be nervous. I woke up this morning with tingling/ itching near the spot....I known that’s a symptom but trying to believe my brain is trying to scare me. I know squirrels generally dont carry it, but always worried I’m that 1%

golddustgirl1000
16-06-19, 17:48
Okay. So I spoke to the health department in my area. They told me it’s not a concern as squirrels have not been known to carry rabies.

I stopped worrying for a while but woke up this morning with a very scratchy hand/ arm- ( same hand squirrel went after) -

Comforting and helpful comments wanted... trying to stop my brain from whirling around

Fishmanpa
16-06-19, 17:49
Comforting and helpful comments wanted... trying to stop my brain from whirling around

Okay. So I spoke to the health department in my area. They told me it’s not a concern as squirrels have not been known to carry rabies.

Positive thoughts

BlueIris
16-06-19, 18:00
Here's a comforting thought: health anxiety can be very manageable with the right treatment and a little effort.

golddustgirl1000
16-06-19, 22:27
Uh I’m trying... I just feel sick! Itchy/ tingly arm... kinda nauseous...

BlueIris
17-06-19, 08:36
This is all stuff that anxiety can exacerbate.

dinsfire
17-06-19, 17:38
Hi, I've dealt with similar health anxiety recently (also about rabies), and I kept feeling like my arm was painful or tingling, and like I couldn't swallow. I've had those "symptoms" on and off for months now and I'm still fine, which obviously wouldn't be the case if they'd been rabies manifesting. Also, I haven't had any exposures that could reasonably have caused rabies, and it sounds like you haven't either.

What I'm trying to get across is that your mind is very good at manifesting symptoms like this when you're anxious about them. It doesn't sound like there's any way you could have come into contact with rabies if you haven't been bitten or scratched by an animal at all, let alone one that is likely to carry rabies or is exhibiting rabies symptoms. Try to remember that rabies in general is extremely rare, and it sounds like you'd be a medical "miracle" if you did get it without having had an obvious bite or exposure. And the same is true for me, as hard as it is to believe that sometimes.

We'll get through this!

golddustgirl1000
18-06-19, 17:27
You guys, I am a mess... I know I know... squirrels don’t usually carry rabies... this is anxiety... I get it... but for a week now I’m extemely fatigued... legs feel like jello, I always feel like I’m verging nausea and I’m so tired... I start to notice this wear off mid day..but from the moment I wake up it’s there. This is not helping the anxiety... 3 weeks ago I was running 4 miles every other day and lifting for 4 hours a week.... now I have to lean on stuff and can barely blow dry my hair..... please try to understand.... how can I feel this bad if “nothing” is wrong

Fishmanpa
18-06-19, 17:30
how can I feel this bad if “nothing” is wrong

Because you have a mental illness that is causing physical reactions and real physical SYMPTOMS. (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms)

Positive thoughts

DustingMyselfOff
18-06-19, 17:47
If it would lower your anxiety, go see your doctor or a walk-in clinic to get checked out.... perhaps you have picked up a virus or some sort of bug that's going around. If they tell you they've seen a lot of people with your same symptoms, it will make you feel better.
Sue