PDA

View Full Version : Nadiya: Anxiety and Me

Scass
25-05-19, 19:10
Did anyone in the UK watch Nadiya’s documentary on bbc1? It’s all about her journey to find methods and help to deal with her anxiety.

I already thought she was brilliant, but this was really good. I really recommend it for those in the UK who are able to access iPlayer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SarahNah
26-05-19, 00:32
I haven't! But it sounds like a interesting watch !

Carnation
26-05-19, 11:02
I did Scass.
Although I found it interesting viewng, I couldn't help thinking that her issues were not as debilitating as many of us. After all, she is appearing on live tv, travelling, dealing with crowds on a massive scale, communicating with strangers and so on. Where many of us are frightened to put a foot outside our front door or pick up a phone and talk to someone.
Maybe someone not a 'celeb' would be more realistic. After all, the general public need to know warts n all. :blush:

pulisa
26-05-19, 13:55
I must admit I'm not keen on these celebs and mental health programmes. My son watched it though.

I suppose having a warts n all anxiety documentary with a pleb would be considered "dull" whereas people relate to Nadiya and if she found a way to cope with her anxiety through baking then she'll have struck a chord with many people watching.

MyNameIsTerry
26-05-19, 14:33
I'm not keen either as many celebs think mental health issues are the old stereotypes. I do like Nadiya though and she seems like a lovely person. She's also still "one of us" compared to the zeleb lot who have xyz when it's fashionable. There are so many celebs I think talk nonsense about mental health but there are some who sound just like us on here such as Ian Pulestan-Davies, Owen the builder from Corrie, who also had a short programme I watched about his OCD and he came across very genuine. This is how I expect Nadiya would come across.

What did she say about how she suffers? I haven't seen it but when I read this thread did read a few articles about it to get an idea. She mentions panic attacks and the article stated severe anxiety. The severe anxiety just didn't tally for me for the reasons Carnation mentioned, from a GAD point of view I couldn't see myself getting on TV when I couldn't get out of the house, but then it can be very specific for some and the media do tend to hype stuff up and it might not have been her own words.