PDA

View Full Version : Worried about blood After coughing

Pigeon
27-05-19, 11:25
I had a bad cold recently. It was in my upper respiratory tract and didn’t affect my chest but did affect sinuses, throat, nasal passages and ears - like with any normal cold. I had nosebleeds too.
What has worried me was that when I coughed up some mucous from my throat, there were tiny streaks of blood on a couple of occasions. It looked like a little thread . This hasn’t happened before when I’ve had a cold.
My cold has all but cleared up now and no more coughing or other symptoms at all but I’m worried the blood and think it may be a sign of something sinister.
My husband says he has had this before and it’s nothing to worry about.
I used to smoke a little but haven’t for over 20 years.
I wondered if anyone has experienced the same before I trouble my poor GP again

ankietyjoe
27-05-19, 12:47
It's relatively common if you're coughing hard for a while, it happened to me couple of times.

I wouldn't worry about it, but I would also get it checked out. You could call 111 and talk to them about it there first.

Pigeon
27-05-19, 13:13
Thanks for your reply anxiety joe. It does make me feel better to hear others have had the same. I just thought my husband was making things up to reassure me. The 111 suggestion is a good idea - think I might give it a call.

BlueIris
27-05-19, 13:20
This happens to me any time I get a bad cough. If it's worrying you, certainly ask about it, but I'd really doubt there's anything to be bothered about.

atvmike
28-05-19, 11:25
I coughed up quite a bit of blood with my phlegm for a number of days just last week and it turned out to be from bleeding in my nose/throat from broken capillaries. Even had a chest x-ray to be sure. Don't worry, but get checked out if it will make you feel better.