PDA

View Full Version : Coughed up bloody phlegm, terrified this is lung cancer

atvmike
27-05-19, 19:56
So about two weeks ago I seem to have caught the flu that was going around the office. That night I ended up vomitting violently, and spent the next 3 days in bed with aches and chills. I had a mild cough during all this, and noticed on and off (particularly early in the day) that there was some blood in the phlegm I was hacking up.

It generally cleared up by mid day, but on the third day, when I went to see a walk-in doctor, I had a couple globs that were quite bloody mixed in with the snot/mucus. I also had bloody sinuses during this time, and have on and off all spring (the air is very dry and I sleep with a fan, happens most springs). I was hoping that the blood had run down my throat and settled since I was horizontal so much, and the walk-in doctor agreed, and wasn't concerned.

As of today, the cough is mostly gone, and the blood is long gone. But when I saw my family doctor on Friday, he was much more serious about it than the walk-in doc. He ordered a chest X-ray which I just had today and now I'm devastated waiting for the phone call that will tell me I have lung cancer. I'm so scared they are going to call right away, because that will be the sign that it's serious.

I've had so many scares over the years and each one feels like the one that will take me from my kids.

ankietyjoe
27-05-19, 21:34
There are multiple threads here about the same thing. You can cough up blood with chest infections, it's common.

Chest X-Ray is standard procedure.

atvmike
28-05-19, 11:23
For all those wondering, it came back clear. Of course it did...

Thanks for listening, and for others worrying about the same, it's probably nothing!