PDA

View Full Version : Hand symptoms - rheumatoid athritis worry

MrLurcher
28-05-19, 10:37
Here we go again, MS, Diabetes, Bowel Cancer, Crohns, Melanoma, Heart problems and now........Athritis.

Over the past few months ive noticed pains in my palm knuckle area and also sometimes in the first finger joints of my index and middle finger. But sometimes the pain can be really random on my palm, almost muscular. This pain doesn't happen if I move my hands or fingers but if I grab something tightly or if I grab the car steering wheel in a certain way for example. But it happens randomly, and affects both hands at different times - not the same symptoms in each hand at the same time, or even the same symptoms at all. For example today after grabbing the steering wheel using my right hand, I had mild stabbing pains in my index and middle finger knuckle on my palm and also on a section of the thumb joint. It hurts if if I press firmly on a part of the thumb joint. And I don't know if it's because I've been bending and prodding all morning, but my wedding ring finger on my right hand is feeling stiff and achy now.

Im worried these are symptoms of rheumatoid, because I've had knee stiffness and pain for 10 years at times after exercising, especially in the mornings. This includes crepitus, which my doc said it's nothing to worry about.

My job is mixed at the moment, a lot of laptop work, but also manual stuff like pot washing and cleaning - by pot washing I mean cleaning plates and cutlery for up to 80-100 guests, quite hard going on hands I suppose. I play guitar and drums, walk a dog which pulls on the lead. Dont know if those would have any effect on my hands. I used to have a habit of cracking my hand joints a lot too.

I didnt really think much of these symptoms when they began, but they haven't gone away.

Dunno whether to go to docs again, Im already on a waiting list for cardio referral because of heart worries and had lots of bloods done 3 months ago.

Maybe it could be gripping too tightly because of anxiety and stress? Hopefully but unlikely.

BlueIris
28-05-19, 10:45
Have you started on the antidepressants yet?

MrLurcher
28-05-19, 12:10
Have you started on the antidepressants yet?

Afraid not BI.

Anyone out there with experience of RA?

I've googled a bit but found quite a few frightening things so trying to refrain from doing that too much.

Fishmanpa
28-05-19, 12:44
My wife has a bit in her hands and and I get it occasionally in my wrist. Its nothing like you describe.

Positive thoughts

MrLurcher
28-05-19, 12:47
My wife has a bit in her hands and and I get it occasionally in my wrist. Its nothing like you describe.

Positive thoughts

Thanks for the reply FMP.

Just to let you know, I bought my new guitar last Friday and I haven't even felt like playing it because of these pains :-(

Fender Tele in tidepool blue btw.

Fishmanpa
28-05-19, 12:51
Thanks for the reply FMP.

Just to let you know, I bought my new guitar last Friday

Fender Tele in tidepool blue btw.

Nice :) You really should start the meds. When your illness takes the joy out of something you love, its time to treat it.

Positive thoughts

BlueIris
28-05-19, 12:56
Seriously, can you not see by now that the anxiety is the issue, not the symptom of the month?

MrLurcher
29-05-19, 11:26
Seriously, can you not see by now that the anxiety is the issue, not the symptom of the month?

Hi BI, yes I can see that anxiety is an issue and this probably looks insane to people reading my posts, but how else do I explain the pains?

I've also noticed another weird thing. I cannot bend my right hand fingers back as much as the left hand. They feel a lot more stiff. I don't know if this is normal with your stronger / preferred hand? If I push my hands together in the praying position for example, my left hand fingers bend back quite easily, but then my right doesn't.

Fishmanpa
29-05-19, 13:41
Dude... you're engaging in odd self checking behaviors, things that most people never do, micro examining every little natural inconsistency and making it something to worry about :doh: I can honestly say, I've not done 1% of some of the things I read about here (especially the poo and butt stuff :scared15: ). Again, I urge you to start the medication. At least give it a chance. As far as aches and pains? Welcome to life. As I've gotten older, I've made a really good friend named Ibuprofen and his pals Ben Gay and Aspercreme ;)

Positive thoughts

jojo2316
29-05-19, 17:36
Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Elen
30-05-19, 08:16
Here we go again, MS, Diabetes, Bowel Cancer, Crohns, Melanoma, Heart problems and now........Athritis.

Over the past few months ive noticed pains in my palm knuckle area and also sometimes in the first finger joints of my index and middle finger. But sometimes the pain can be really random on my palm, almost muscular. This pain doesn't happen if I move my hands or fingers but if I grab something tightly or if I grab the car steering wheel in a certain way for example. But it happens randomly, and affects both hands at different times - not the same symptoms in each hand at the same time, or even the same symptoms at all. For example today after grabbing the steering wheel using my right hand, I had mild stabbing pains in my index and middle finger knuckle on my palm and also on a section of the thumb joint. It hurts if if I press firmly on a part of the thumb joint. And I don't know if it's because I've been bending and prodding all morning, but my wedding ring finger on my right hand is feeling stiff and achy now.

Im worried these are symptoms of rheumatoid, because I've had knee stiffness and pain for 10 years at times after exercising, especially in the mornings. This includes crepitus, which my doc said it's nothing to worry about.

My job is mixed at the moment, a lot of laptop work, but also manual stuff like pot washing and cleaning - by pot washing I mean cleaning plates and cutlery for up to 80-100 guests, quite hard going on hands I suppose. I play guitar and drums, walk a dog which pulls on the lead. Dont know if those would have any effect on my hands. I used to have a habit of cracking my hand joints a lot too.

I didnt really think much of these symptoms when they began, but they haven't gone away.

Dunno whether to go to docs again, Im already on a waiting list for cardio referral because of heart worries and had lots of bloods done 3 months ago.

Maybe it could be gripping too tightly because of anxiety and stress? Hopefully but unlikely.

You have answered your own questions as to why your hands hurt. You use them a lot and you have been poking and prodding.

I have rheumatoid arthritis and this sounds nothing like it.

Your anxiety is looking for something else for you to worry about.

Have a serious think about starting your medication and also look at therapy that is available to you.