PDA

View Full Version : Saw doctor this week, should feel better...

wingo22
29-05-19, 18:18
everyone,

So been a long time health anxiety sufferer. I do plan on going for CBT, however the wait list in my area is quite long. But I feel like it’s a step in the right direction.

Ive been recently worried about MS. Well it started out as an ALS fear, then quickly moved to MS. My right arm for some time (months) has felt tired and gets fatigued quite easily when I an doing something with it. Recently I have been feeling dull aches in my right leg as well when climbing stairs or doing whatever. This leg pain moves around. It will be in my thigh then my calf etc.

I saw my doctor yesterday about it. She really focused on my arm issue and kind of pushed aside the leg one. We did a full physical, strength, neuro, reflexes test and blood work. Everything is good. I told her I was super afraid it could be something neurological and feared MS. She responded “I don’t think so” and “MS usually does not present itself that way”. She believes it’s thoracic outlet syndrome which can be fixed by a physio and proper posture.

I felt really relieved on the drive home. I do trust her but am still getting some occasional fears that she misdiagnosed me. She said my nerves and muscles are all responding well, if this is the case should i stop worrying about MS?

30 yr old male btw. I know the answer is yes, but I need some convincing 

Fishmanpa
29-05-19, 18:22
What can we say that the doctor hasn't said? Look back at all your threads and the reassurance you received. Nothing you feared came to be nor will this. That should be all you need. Besides, you said yourself you know what the answer is.

Positive thoughts

ankietyjoe
29-05-19, 18:40
Yup, asking or receiving any more reassurance at this point is pointless and a waste of time.

You either accept the diagnosis you have and get on with your life or carry on suffering. This is a learned behavioural issue, not a medical one.

wingo22
29-05-19, 18:41
What can we say that the doctor hasn't said? Look back at all your threads and the reassurance you received. Nothing you feared came to be nor will this. That should be all you need. Besides, you said yourself you know what the answer is.

Positive thoughts

I know man! I’m just so stressed!! I felt good the day after the appointment but now I am second guessing. I am trying to concentrate on how normal all my neuro tests were. If there were something up she would have sent me for a MRI right away. I guess I am on here to look for someone to explain things a certain way, using different wording. Idk I’m just down in the dumps now.

BlueIris
29-05-19, 18:55
You need to learn how to reassure yourself.

Fishmanpa
29-05-19, 18:59
Down in the dumps because you don't have MS or ALS? I would think you'd be jumping for joy! Ahhh... but such is the nature of HA :lac:

Positive thoughts

wingo22
29-05-19, 19:03
Down in the dumps because you don't have MS or ALS? I would think you'd be jumping for joy! Ahhh... but such is the nature of HA :lac:

Positive thoughts

So how do I change my thinking?

BlueIris
29-05-19, 19:04
Consider starting with the link in FMP's signature?

wingo22
29-05-19, 19:08
Consider starting with the link in FMP's signature?

I guess I am hoping to find someone who has gone through the same thing and compare myself to them. Unknown deep down that won’t help, but st the surface of my thinking I feel that is what I need.

It is true, I have had lots of medical issues over the past years that have turned out to be nothing, but I just need reassurance.

BlueIris
29-05-19, 19:15
So, you're saying you'd rather go on the exact same way you have been doing and living with the terror rather than trying to make a positive difference?

To each their own, I guess.

wingo22
29-05-19, 19:17
So, you're saying you'd rather go on the exact same way you have been doing and living with the terror rather than trying to make a positive difference?

To each their own, I guess.

No I’m saying I want to change but don’t know where to start.

ankietyjoe
29-05-19, 19:18
It is true, I have had lots of medical issues over the past years that have turned out to be nothing, but I just need reassurance.

No, you WANT reassurance, there's a difference. You will never get better by receiving reassurance. I can 100% guarantee that. It's almost exactly the same as a drug addict saying they need 'just one more hit'. It's never just one more.

wingo22
29-05-19, 19:30
No, you WANT reassurance, there's a difference. You will never get better by receiving reassurance. I can 100% guarantee that. It's almost exactly the same as a drug addict saying they need 'just one more hit'. It's never just one more.

Well yes in a way, but I don’t want to go on like this. It’s brutal. Can anyone steer me to a link or in the right direction

ankietyjoe
29-05-19, 19:32
Well yes in a way, but I don’t want to go on like this. It’s brutal. Can anyone steer me to a link or in the right direction

Stop seeking reassurance. There's no magic bean for this.

Yes it's hard, that's why it takes practice. Next time you feel you need reassurance, go do something else for 10 minutes. Then the next day go do something else for 20 minutes etc etc. You're basically giving up an addiction.

wingo22
29-05-19, 19:39
Stop seeking reassurance. There's no magic bean for this.

Yes it's hard, that's why it takes practice. Next time you feel you need reassurance, go do something else for 10 minutes. Then the next day go do something else for 20 minutes etc etc. You're basically giving up an addiction.

I know! I just want tot be like a normal person who goes to the doctors and then gets a diagnosis and moves on with their life. I am good for a day or two but after that it’s hard for me to stay positive. Like when I brought up the fact that I was worried about MS my doctor basically said “I don’t think so and MS doesn’t usually present itself that way”. I should see that as positive and be able to move on with my life

ankietyjoe
29-05-19, 19:56
Think of it this way. If you want to be like a normal person, you have to behave like a normal person. That means not seeking reassurance all the time for no reason. Unless you stop doing that, nothing will change.

This isn't something that's happening TO you. It's something you are doing to yourself.

Fishmanpa
29-05-19, 22:17

CLICK HERE! (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?211324-9-FREE-CBT-ebooks-for-Health-Anxiety) Look, healing from mental illness takes as much work as healing from the serious illnesses you fear. There are no quick fixes or magic words. Its hard work. I would talk to your GP about meds as well. Sometimes you need a crutch while you're learning to walk.

Positive thoughts

wingo22
30-05-19, 15:24
CLICK HERE! (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?211324-9-FREE-CBT-ebooks-for-Health-Anxiety) Look, healing from mental illness takes as much work as healing from the serious illnesses you fear. There are no quick fixes or magic words. Its hard work. I would talk to your GP about meds as well. Sometimes you need a crutch while you're learning to walk.

Positive thoughts

Thanks Fish, Ill try that. I don’t know why I need constant reassurance? I never used to be that way before. I remember a time I asked my doctor about my headaches and he blew off brain tumours instantly, I believed him and felt better. This reassurance seeking is something that really just happened a few years ago.

I understand that these things going through my head are just thoughts, but how do I change my thoughts and let symptoms come and go without obsessing over them

Fishmanpa
30-05-19, 15:27
how do I change my thoughts and let symptoms come and go without obsessing over them

CLICK. THE. LINK! (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?211324-9-FREE-CBT-ebooks-for-Health-Anxiety) Download the program and get to work. If you just can't mentally discipline yourself to do it, go to a professional. Some people need a kick in the rear and accountability.

Positive thoughts

wingo22
30-05-19, 15:48
CLICK. THE. LINK! (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?211324-9-FREE-CBT-ebooks-for-Health-Anxiety) Download the program and get to work. If you just can't mentally discipline yourself to do it, go to a professional. Some people need a kick in the rear and accountability.

Positive thoughts

I’ve downloaded it and will start!
I feel like I care better if I understand how others overcame this issue. We’re you a worrier as well, what did you do to overcome it? I have had enough of this.

Fishmanpa
30-05-19, 16:00
I feel like I care better if I understand how others overcame this issue. We’re you a worrier as well, what did you do to overcome it? I have had enough of this.

No, I'm not a sufferer. I dealt with some depression after my illnesses and "scanxiety" after my cancer, but no, I don't suffer. I found the forum by following HAers from the cancer forum I was part of to give them a piece of my mind. I ended up staying to help. I have a daughter that's a sufferer. That said, I dealt with my challenges with proven techniques of one on one therapy and meds. While there are a few here that overcame it on their own, most did so using the traditional methods.

Once you delve into the program, I'm sure questions will arise and there are many here that can advise but you have to start.

Positive thoughts

BlueIris
30-05-19, 16:07
Personally, after years of on-off therapy, I found meds were what I needed to make life properly bearable - they get me to a point where I can focus enough to actually apply the self-help techniques I've been taught.

wingo22
30-05-19, 16:37
Personally, after years of on-off therapy, I found meds were what I needed to make life properly bearable - they get me to a point where I can focus enough to actually apply the self-help techniques I've been taught.

Thanks guys!!!
Blue what were you worried about st your health anxiety peak? Illnesses, etc??

BlueIris
30-05-19, 16:46
Cancer, mostly, in myself and my husband. I'd freak out every month over, err, monthly stuff, and be a terrified wreck any time my other half caught a cold.

wingo22
30-05-19, 17:02
Cancer, mostly, in myself and my husband. I'd freak out every month over, err, monthly stuff, and be a terrified wreck any time my other half caught a cold.

Oh I see! I have had my share of cancer worries too. Did you develop symptoms that made your anxiety peak even more??

Fishmanpa
30-05-19, 17:06
Oh I see! I have had my share of cancer worries too. Did you develop symptoms that made your anxiety peak even more??

Most here have. That's why they're here. You're just feeding the dragon discussing symptoms and reassurance seeking now bro... :lac:

Positive thoughts

BlueIris
30-05-19, 17:20
Agreeing with FMP here. I'm not about to discuss my symptoms, because trust me, you don't have them. The only time I've been afraid of cancer and then had a cancer diagnosis, it was incredibly obvious for several years beforehand.

ErinKC
30-05-19, 17:23

For me, therapy has been a game changer. CBT techniques help me, but just straight up talk therapy where I can work through the anxiety and find my own techniques to help have been amazing.

It's not easy and it takes time, but it is absolutely possible to get through this. My anxiety began after my daughter was born 5 years ago and centered around a deep fear of dying and leaving her. It was overwhelming and debilitating. I bounced from illness to illness and doctor to doctor until I finally hit my breaking point and got therapy. I went on and off but found after a while that I really need to go continuously to keep the anxiety at bay, so now I see my therapist twice a month. Just knowing that I have that tool makes the small peaks of anxiety manageable because I know that I will be able to see her if I can't get past it myself.

I also have found that being consciously less alert (that sounds contradictory, but it works!) to every feeling or sensation is paramount in overcoming health anxiety. I am still working on this, but I am also getting to a place where I can trust my own judgement and know when I should see my doctor and when I don't need to.

Someone on here a while back recommended an app called Woebot. It's a bot that helps walk you through CBT techniques basically. I found it pretty helpful to get my thoughts under control during an anxiety peak last year. It walks you through all the thought processes that drive our anxiety. Definitely worth a download.

Also, I've started to feel/accept that there is no real cure-all for anxiety. One of the most important things I've learned is to treat it more like an addiction. I don't say that I'm cured of anxiety, but that I'm recovering from it. You kind of have to accept that it is part of you that you'll likely live with forever, but not something that has to control you. Having anxiety is one component of me, but it's not the defining component. It just means that I need to do certain things to keep it under control. If I feel anxiety coming on I don't have to get angry or defeated. I can say - ok, I feel anxious about this because I suffer with anxiety. It's not because I'm in danger or because I have some horrible illness. It's because I have a condition that makes my brain react differently to certain stimuli than other people. So, accept that, ride it out, and move on.

I have a 5 year old and I'm very conscious of not passing my anxiety on to her because I grew up with a health-anxious mother. So, I talk about my anxiety openly with her and I found a good metaphor to explain it that was also comforting to me.

I've explained to her that fear and anxiety are a natural part of being human. In fact, they are a major survival tool that have kept humans alive through history. When we're faced with danger our brains are designed to release certain chemicals and activate certain responses to protect us from harm (fight or flight). But, sometimes our brains activate this response when there is only a perceived danger and that can be much harder to deal with because we have nothing to fight and nothing to run from.

I compared my fear of being sick with her fear of monsters in the dark. I said, "sometimes when you're in bed at night in the dark you feel scared that there are monsters there even though you know for sure that monsters are not real." She agreed that she knows monsters aren't real. So, I said, sometimes - even though I know that I'm not sick, I still feel afraid that I am. It's the same as being afraid of monsters. But, the most important thing to do is understand that while the fear we feel is real - our brains are actually releasing chemicals and activating the fight or flight response - the danger is not. This, I think, is the key - learning to differentiate between fear and danger. And we can do this because we're human! The frontal lobe of our brain may not be able to tell the difference between a real danger and a perceived one, but we have the ability to reason beyond that cave man response and figure out when we need to run away and when we need to take a breath and stand our ground.

Fishmanpa
30-05-19, 18:26
I compared my fear of being sick with her fear of monsters in the dark. I said, "sometimes when you're in bed at night in the dark you feel scared that there are monsters there even though you know for sure that monsters are not real." She agreed that she knows monsters aren't real. So, I said, sometimes - even though I know that I'm not sick, I still feel afraid that I am. It's the same as being afraid of monsters. But, the most important thing to do is understand that while the fear we feel is real - our brains are actually releasing chemicals and activating the fight or flight response - the danger is not. This, I think, is the key - learning to differentiate between fear and danger. And we can do this because we're human! The frontal lobe of our brain may not be able to tell the difference between a real danger and a perceived one, but we have the ability to reason beyond that cave man response and figure out when we need to run away and when we need to take a breath and stand our ground.

Good analogy and learning to tell the difference is what therapy is for. Having the right weapons to fight those imaginary monsters is key.

Positive thoughts

wingo22
30-05-19, 19:57
Good analogy and learning to tell the difference is what therapy is for. Having the right weapons to fight those imaginary monsters is key.

Positive thoughts

Thanks! What a great way to explain it!! Even now I just got this intrusive thought about the appointment I went to Monday. I have kept trying to replay it to see exactly what she told me and trying to remember her exact words and body language. I have been trying to fight this feeling and just let the thought pass but it’s hard!!! I am trying to just let it come in my mind and then leave

Fishmanpa
30-05-19, 20:46
One thing to consider is being on here as well. While its great to know you're not alone and cathartic sometimes to write out your thoughts and fears, doing so puts those thoughts, fears and symptoms in the forefront of your mind and can actually prevent them from leaving.

Positive thoughts

AMomentofClarity
30-05-19, 21:40
One thing to consider is being on here as well. While its great to know you're not alone and cathartic sometimes to write out your thoughts and fears, doing so puts those thoughts, fears and symptoms in the forefront of your mind and can actually prevent them from leaving.

Positive thoughts

This is so ridiculously true. When I was recovering from HA, I made a point to avoid everything about it on the internet....medical sites, health sites, anxiety sites, everything. You’d be amazed how after a few days of keeping yourself distracted it’s like “oh wow, this doesn’t hurt, that feels better, I’m not worried about xyz anymore”

it just happens