PDA

View Full Version : Back to work

Lilmissanxiety
29-05-19, 21:28
Hi, so I've been off work for over 7 years, (I used to post on here many years ago but forgot username/pass) basically my parents have paid my phone and food, I now have got a job, I'm getting old and if I don't do something now, I never will get better, plus not entitled to benefits, it's only 2 hours work, so not like I'll be away from home for ages. I haven't been able to go any places on my own. The symptoms I get are mainly my stomach, it churns really bad and I have to try not to poop myself, 😆. I have read lots of my self help anxiety books, told myself the positives of working, money of course 😁. Not earned in so many years and I wanna buy so much. Plus 2 hours will go quick. Yet my anxiety is like nope, you're gonna have a breakdown. That's all the thoughts I get, even after thinking positive. I know it might happen as nearly did at interview which my mum came with, but I held it together. This time I'll be without her and people will help me if needed. Bonus - be no work in school holidays.
I've told myself all these years that I'm unfit to work cos I can't do stuff alone, yet I am physically capable of working as I've done it before, maybe my anxiety is making me lazy as so used to staying home. Although I can only do part time cos of anxiety and other health issues.
I really wanna do this job. How can I stop my anxiety and from having any breakdowns? Breakdowns as in get so anxious, I start panicking and then crying, which is embarrassing, it's happened a few times when not able to avoid things.
I'm excited about earning a living, but it's a big step especially as I can't even go shopping alone. I also suffer from depression and I get worse thinking I can't do anything.
I'm going in this week to get used to it.

I'm on no meds as they didn't work.

Humph
01-06-19, 11:01
Hi Lilmissanxiety congratulations on your new job. From not working for 7 years to going for an interview and getting the job is a huge achievement and I hope you are super proud of yourself! Your Mum might have been there for some support on the day of your interview but ultimately it was YOU who sat through the interview and YOU who held it together. I would say that, that is the hardest part over with and you smashed it. Interviews cause anxiety to the most laid back people so well done!! What type of work are you going to be doing? When I’m anxious I find that totally distracting myself with my work helps, like get really involved in it so that you literally don’t have time to think negatively and get anxious. Two hours is such a short time and I bet it fly’s by if you get really busy. Wishing you the best of luck!!!