PDA

View Full Version : Hard to talk? Hyperaware of tongue/voice?

Archaga
01-06-19, 17:38
I've been a fast talker and mumbler my whole life. I also have issues with voice going in and out my whole life, dry tongue, and cracky jaw and teeth grinding too.

Over a year and a half ago at work I tripped over a few words, got anxious about it, then was fine for awhile. Happened again a month later at a study group.

Last October same thing happened, i tripped or tongue tied up, got anxious thinking i was having a stroke, then was fine.

2 weeks ago i went out with a friend and we talked for an hour. After like 40 minutes I tripped over words, got anxious, was fine for a week, then did it again when I was arguing with my dad a week later.

It feels like theres a disconnect between my brain and mouth at times. Or maybe im subconsciously moving my tongue around.

For almost 2 years now ive been hyperaware of my tongue off and on, reading out loud, talking to myself to test it. Its annoying, and makes me fearful of talking.

Yesterday i had a job interview and was fine talking. But i can go a week without talking to someone, and its like I forget how to articulate.

This is really annoying. Ive feared stroke, MS, Parkinsons, all sorts of stuff from it. Does anyone else get the same?

Carys
11-06-19, 10:02
I don't get the same now, but in my decades past anxiety states I have had EXACTLY what you describe. I view speaking as one of the automatic functions (like breathing) which once you start thinking about and focusing on can feel unnatural and difficult. With the brain being the most powerful thing known to man, it can cause all sorts of stumbling, mumbling and difficulties when the anxious mind starts trying to 'manage' the super complex movements required in speech. The key is distraction !