PDA

View Full Version : Spot on skin under eye extremely itchy

CHELLEB1017
02-06-19, 23:10
Hey everyone! Just wanted to see if anyone may know what this is. I have an area under my eye that has been itching off and on for about 2 months. It doesn’t bother me one bit if I’m busy but if I’m just relaxing it itches like crazy. Every single day! It’s not red, doesn’t appear dry. I have tried a steroid cream that I have and also lotion. Anyone ever had a random tiny area constantly itch??

Fishmanpa
02-06-19, 23:51
Yep... on my back for over 5 years now. There's nothing there but it itches all the time. I asked my doctor and he said it was just a nerve thing. I have a back scratcher handy just for that reason ;)

Positively

CHELLEB1017
04-06-19, 17:10
I have seen what you have listed as a normal variant but only in the back. Anyone else ever had a localised itch that wouldnt go away?

WiseMonkey
05-06-19, 06:45
Hey everyone! Just wanted to see if anyone may know what this is. I have an area under my eye that has been itching off and on for about 2 months. It doesn’t bother me one bit if I’m busy but if I’m just relaxing it itches like crazy. Every single day! It’s not red, doesn’t appear dry. I have tried a steroid cream that I have and also lotion. Anyone ever had a random tiny area constantly itch??

Yes, I've had this, I have a tiny bump that comes and goes, some steroid cream usually helps.

CHELLEB1017
05-06-19, 14:40
Yes, I've had this, I have a tiny bump that comes and goes, some steroid cream usually helps.
WiseMonkey thanks for the reply! This area of skin doesnt even have a bump. My derm looked and says it looks like a normal patch of skin and doesnt look concerning to her. But it itches so bad. Of course google says a form of lymphoma of he skin and brain tumor. I said that to her and she says she has no idea what they are talking about. If I am out and about it doesnt even bother me so I wonder if its a weird nerve issue from anxiety? It has been like this for 6-8 weeks! The derm said to use a steroid for 2 weeks twice a day and also moisturize at night. So I am hoping it helps =(

Fishmanpa
05-06-19, 14:56
I wonder if its a weird nerve issue from anxiety?

Anxiety or not, as I said, its probably just some weird nerve thing and the fact it goes away when distracted supports that your anxiety is playing a big part in it. Use the cream and treat the real issue and you can avoid it happening in the future.

Positive thoughts

CHELLEB1017
05-06-19, 15:05
Anxiety or not, as I said, its probably just some weird nerve thing and the fact it goes away when distracted supports that your anxiety is playing a big part in it. Use the cream and treat the real issue and you can avoid it happening in the future.

Positive thoughts
I know you are right!

CHELLEB1017
06-06-19, 00:59
Well day two of steroid and spot still itches. So freaked out out there is a tumor somewhere pressing on a nerve or skin cancer. But there’s no spot at all on the skin that itches. Really panicking tonight.

WiseMonkey
06-06-19, 05:49
Well day two of steroid and spot still itches. So freaked out out there is a tumor somewhere pressing on a nerve or skin cancer. But there’s no spot at all on the skin that itches. Really panicking tonight.

Stop panicking it's likely to be nerve related (like a twitching nerve is) and is of no significance. I get this on my hand sometimes too and because I have autoimmune stuff going on the itching is likely to be a bit of peripheral nephropathy. Absolutely NOT skin cancer (I've had that) and NOT a tumor either. I totally agree with FMP.

CHELLEB1017
06-06-19, 17:53
Stop panicking it's likely to be nerve related (like a twitching nerve is) and is of no significance. I get this on my hand sometimes too and because I have autoimmune stuff going on the itching is likely to be a bit of peripheral nephropathy. Absolutely NOT skin cancer (I've had that) and NOT a tumor either. I totally agree with FMP.

I have discoid lupus which only affects my skin but doesn't do what this is doing. It will actually be a large inflamed red patch. Maybe that can mess with nerves too.. What doctor would I see for this?

Carys
06-06-19, 22:47
I had a patch on my leg with NOTHING there that itched for 5 years, it was about the size of a 50p piece.....this was a few decades ago. I remember it so clearly, as I scratched it so much over all those years that the skin became as thick as on the soles of the feet...thicker actually and I had to dig my nails in eventually to deal with it. There was NOTHING there at all, nothing, it was nerve dysfunction causing it. As quickly as it came, it also disappeared, for no reason I can fathom either!

WiseMonkey
06-06-19, 23:24
I have discoid lupus which only affects my skin but doesn't do what this is doing. It will actually be a large inflamed red patch. Maybe that can mess with nerves too.. What doctor would I see for this?

Discoid lupus is an autoimmune condition and all sorts of weird stuff happens when you have this (or any other AI condition). A rheumatologist deals with all things autoimmune but your itchiness is nothing to be concerned about, likewise any nerve irritation. This will likely clear up in a few months, it's NOT life threatening.

CHELLEB1017
07-06-19, 16:09
Thanks you guys! Still itching today of course but honestly only if I am relaxing or thinking about it. If I am out and busy it NEVER itches. I will continue using the cream as the derm suggested even though I know it isnt my skin but try and stop worrying as much. Thanks again!

CHELLEB1017
10-06-19, 14:38
I go see the derm again tmrw and this itching has not let up. It isn't constant but it is several times per day. Skin still feels and looks the same. In everyones opinions is this something I should book an appt with a neurologist for? Is that the kind of Doctor that would look into this?

Fishmanpa
10-06-19, 15:46
I go see the derm again tmrw and this itching has not let up. It isn't constant but it is several times per day. Skin still feels and looks the same. In everyones opinions is this something I should book an appt with a neurologist for? Is that the kind of Doctor that would look into this?

That nerve thing on my back isn't constant either. When it first started, it was unbearable. I saw a derm who saw nothing and told me it was a nerve thing. That was 5 years ago. Now, I could go weeks without it itching but for whatever reason, sometimes it acts up and I deal with it knowing its nothing. My previous post stands....

The best doctor IMO would be a mental health professional.

Positive thoughts

CHELLEB1017
10-06-19, 15:50
Thanks Fish! Would a neuro be the type of Doctor I should see for the itch? I do realize I need to go back to therapy also.

Fishmanpa
10-06-19, 16:51
Thanks Fish! Would a neuro be the type of Doctor I should see for the itch? I do realize I need to go back to therapy also.

I just don't (thanks KK) see the need to see a neuro doctor about this TBH. Its just an itch. People get them :shrug:

Positive thoughts

CHELLEB1017
10-06-19, 18:08
I just dont want it to be a tumor pressing on something and I dont find out until its tool late.

CHELLEB1017
10-06-19, 21:03
So this a the reply I got back from the Director of Neurology and Research here at the University. She is a long term practicing physician.
Michelle, the whole science of “itch” is poorly understood. I am unsure of the etiology of this localized itch, and am equally unsure if a neurology consult would be helpful. If you receive a consult from your MD, we will see you—but again, I am unsure if we will have any more answers than the other physicians.
Warm regards,
I don't even know what to make of that. Wouldn't you think they would want an MRI of the brain to see what could be causing this itch?

Fishmanpa
10-06-19, 21:26
So this a the reply I got back from the Director of Neurology and Research here at the University. She is a long term practicing physician.
Michelle, the whole science of “itch” is poorly understood. I am unsure of the etiology of this localized itch, and am equally unsure if a neurology consult would be helpful. If you receive a consult from your MD, we will see you—but again, I am unsure if we will have any more answers than the other physicians.
Warm regards,

I don't even know what to make of that. Wouldn't you think they would want an MRI of the brain to see what could be causing this itch?

It means while she doesn't know the background behind it, its just an "itch" and she doesn't see a reason for a neurological consult. She'll see you if your GP/Derm feel its necessary and give you a referral. It also means she wouldn't be able to give you an explanation beyond or different than what your doctors have given you.

Positive thoughts

Carys
10-06-19, 22:11
Wouldn't you think they would want an MRI of the brain to see what could be causing this itch?

No. Seriously, a brain MRI for a little itch under your eye, on and off, for 2 months?

KK77
10-06-19, 22:16
I just [don't] see the need to see a neuro doctor about this TBH. Its just an itch. People get them :shrug:

Positive thoughts

Fixed typo.

Localised or random, an itch is just an itch, and cannot be used to diagnose anything on its own.