PDA

View Full Version : Asbestos panic.. ugh.

RyanM1994
06-06-19, 17:11
So I thought I was doing really well, was really calm and my anxiety was calming down etc. Was chilled out on the sofa watching TV while my parents were talking next to me.

Out of nowhere I hear, 'you realise you exposed us to Asbestos when you got rid of the Artex ceiling' from my mum. This was done over 1 year ago

Ofcourse I heard that and immediately started panicking and haven't stopped since.

My dad has tried to convince me it was tested for asbestos and was skimmed by a plasterer with only a few bits removed, but I think I remember that they removed all of the 'bumps' themselves and painted over it

Either way, I was at work when they did it and came home roughly 3 hours after they finished and then it was painted at a separate point.

Now I'm stuck with this feeling of impending doom or like I've been infected. Occasionally I can concentrate on other things then go back to panicking immediately.

nomorepanic
06-06-19, 17:47
It is minute amounts in the ceiling and you have nothing to worry about - I already asked a plasterer about this.

You need to put this one aside and forget it as it is not an issue.

RyanM1994
06-06-19, 17:54
Thank you :)

ankietyjoe
06-06-19, 19:04
Asbestos doesn't infect you. Asbestos is dangerous if you inhale particles for years on end. Even if you were exposed, it poses almost zero risk.

lofwyr
07-06-19, 22:28
Just because asbestos has caused cancer in people, those people tended to be folks who worked with it day in and day out. Additionally, it is worth noting, that even out of those folks, it is hardly 100% cancer rates. It is still a small number. Asbestos dangers are real, but very overblown. There is a huge industry and legal business built around it, and both of those require a good bit of fear to be stoked.

Now if you were remodeling and knocking out cielings and walls, it might be worth worrying about, but only day in and day out.