PDA

View Full Version : Terry's nails? Please look at mine

Boosh
08-06-19, 18:16
I was drinking daily for the last 6 years and I'm scared I've given myself cirrhosis :( I have my blood work results back and they're fine, but I've read you can get normal results with cirrhosis. Now I'm panicking I have one of the symptoms of cirrhosis: Terry's nails.

Terrys nails - With the condition known as Terry's nails, most of the nails appear white except for a narrow pink band at the tip.

My nails look exactly like the ones on Wikipedia page :weep: Can you see that? Do you have similar nails or do I have Terry's nails?

https://ibb.co/LYSh6wp
https://ibb.co/1fFQ8kv

Fishmanpa
08-06-19, 18:45
I have my blood work results back and they're fine

There you go! I suggest you re-evaluate your drinking habits if you already haven't done so if liver issues are a fear of yours.

Positive thoughts

Midnight-mouse
08-06-19, 18:51
Seconding pass on the drink if it’s causing that much stress, not only can it be bad for your physical health it plays havoc with anxiety too!

Just to say I have pinker bands at the top of my nails too, and I’m teetotal.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boosh
08-06-19, 19:27
I guess I should have mentioned that, but yeah, I don't drink in excess anymore, just scared I might have done some damage before. I was diagnosed with fatty liver 3 months ago, that was a wake up call.

Carys
08-06-19, 22:08
I have similar nails, infact I noticed it a couple of year ago myself but wasn't concerned about my liver as I have been teetotal for 20 years. They are paler in the same areas as yours with the pink band nearer the end. I've realised since that the pink band is the area of the finger under the nail that is always moving and affected by being pulled and pushed by normal finger movements, it has freerer movement and the white area is the area that is fully protected by the nail and has little movement. I'm not sure I'm explaining this well, but it seems a normal anatomical issue for many people. Your bloods were fine, thats the important bit, if your nails were actually affected your bloods would be picking up something bad.

Fishmanpa
08-06-19, 22:21
do I have Terry's nails?

If you do, I don't think Terry would be all that happy about it! ;)

I think you can put this to bed as liver issues manifest themselves in much more obvious ways like in abnormal blood work.

Positive thoughts