PDA

View Full Version : Swallowed some mouth wash...

Kitkat99
10-06-19, 21:35
I was rinsing my mouth with mouth wash to refresh it up and I accidentally swallowed some. It was probably about a tea spoon full but when I looked on the bottle it says if swallowed seek medical help and now I’m freaking out.

I googled to make sure a small amount is safe or not and it came up with things like can cause convulsions, breathing difficulties and even coma...I’m freaking out and now I think I’m getting a stomach ache.

ankietyjoe
10-06-19, 21:39
Where do you even begin to look on Google that tells you swallowing mouthwash will put you in a coma?

Kitkat99
10-06-19, 21:43
Literally just typed in “swallowed mouthwash by accident” and in the questions area under the question “what would happen is you swallowed mouthwash?” It said that...apparently it’s from the oral b website.

I feel really ill now :/

Fishmanpa
10-06-19, 21:45
A small amount like that won't hurt you. The warnings are in place for someone that may accidentally drink a lot of it. Heck, I think we've all swallowed a bit in our lifetimes ;)

From the Oral B Site...

What to Do If You Swallow a Little Bit of Mouthwash

If you, or a child, should swallow a small amount of fluoride mouthwash (or any other type), there's no reason to panic.

It said just take precautions not to do it again.

Positive thoughts

Carys
10-06-19, 21:47
This is what I found -

Swallowing small amounts of mouthwash may leave you feeling a bit queasy or may even cause diarrhea, but these symptoms should pass.

Ring 111 if you are concerned and explain to them how much you swallowed and the type.

kivyt73
11-06-19, 01:27
I used to have a friend at work that would gargle several times a day in his office and then just swallow it. It won't hurt you...no worries.

Ivy

ankietyjoe
11-06-19, 07:37
I would guess that 10% of people that use mouthwash swallow a little bit all the time. It's a complete non-issue apart from maybe a bit of nausea if it's too much.

BlueIris
11-06-19, 07:43
Think about this logically. It's a product that's designed to go in your mouth; if it was actively unsafe to be swallowed (rather than drunk, obviously) it wouldn't be on the market.

Carys
11-06-19, 09:42
Indeed....and judging by the number of 'absolutely not dead' people who come up on a quick google search for 'accidentally swallowed mouthwash' ....I reckon it is an occurrence that happens fairly often!