PDA

View Full Version : Feeling a bit down and out

Janieb
16-09-07, 21:00
I have been feeling a bit down and out lately, looking for a new job I don't even think I need...trying to sell my house...man I am trying to do everything at once which I am sure is not good. But the way I see it is the busier I am the better. Less time to think!

Last night I couldn't sleep because I was getting these sharp pains on the left hand side of my head. Like sudden stabbing pains but they would come and go. This morning I was exhausted, I have an 8 month old son so can't really catch up on sleep in the morning. I went to go visit my mom just to chat and get reassurance, which is what you expect from a mother. Instead she actually took the mick out of me about it. I said to her I was scared that I was having a brain haemorrhage or something to that effect, so she just said to me to stop acting stupid, and carried on taking my son off my hands like I didn't exist and just suggested that I should go back to the doctors maybe there is something wrong.

Then half an hour later she says to me Janie, I have a headache to you think I have a brain tumour. So I said no mom then she carried on in this silly voice asking if she had a brain haemorrhage.

Sorry about the long sob story but I was rather unimpressed. No wonder I am a bit of a fruit loop my own mother makes fun of my anxiety! lovely. I left there feeling rather hurt and stupid.

I have read the section on stabbing pains it appears to be a common problem.

Smile72
16-09-07, 21:08
Have you had anxiety long? Perhaps you need to explain to your family exactly what anxiety is? I think unless you have suffered people don't understand and think it easy to pull yourself together but I know it isn't far from it! I know when my anxiety is bad I go to bed and fell very trembly get pains and think I am not going to wake up and feel scared to go to sleep! silly I know.

You just have to remember that the pains are anxiety and nothing serious. :hugs:

ItWillPass
16-09-07, 22:34
Hi Janieb

First of all, I have had the sharp stabbing pains also. I also get nervous that it could be something terrible. But, I think that pains that come and go can really not be anything except tension. I also wanted to reply to this post, because I know exactly how you feel about the lack of support from your mother. That is how it is with my mother also. In fact, she is always VERY concerned about my kids, and pampering them and always worried about them... but when something bothers me, its "tough up!" Its a terrible feeling. I have just come to terms with the fact that I cannot go to her for support.

clickaway
16-09-07, 22:43
Janie,

I am sorry you have been treated like this, but unfortunately it is all too common. You have to be in our situation to appreciate the difficulties.

My anxiety saps my strength so much so that I can't do gardening or housework beyond the bare essentials yet I am expected to do it all!

People on this site DO understand, but it seems that 90% of the population do not, however much they mean to you.

Take Care

:hugs:

nomorepanic
16-09-07, 22:51
We call these head zaps and they do not indicate a brain tumour so please be reassured.

People that don't suffer don't understand - not even our families - mine never did either!

breesmum
17-09-07, 01:04
oh gee i can so relate to this.

Generally my partner is quite supportive of my anxiety and generally is very calm and wont push me into doing things.Constantly i am asked am i ok.

Last night however after some discussions he starts telling me to get a grib of things, that i am not going to die, not going to have a heart attack, its all in my head and i have to just get over it.

Well der! of course it is in my head and no i can't just get over it. What i feel, the fear, the pains etc are all real for me.

Then this morning when he woke up he started hassling me about my heart. My greatest fear with my anxiety is of having a heart attack and i let it rule a lot of my life. So because i took great offence to it that started an argument.

I wish that anxiety was made known more to people. People tend to hide away from mental illnesses thinking that people who do have a mental illness are ones locked up in the psych ward of a hospital. Its not the case! how can we get the word out? How do we make people understand?

Janieb
17-09-07, 22:17
Thank you all for your replies. I like to know I am not alone this website has been the biggest help in my life!! I used to be anxious but never to bad but since I have had my son it appears to have made my feel 10 times worse. I think it's the fear of not being around to see my son grow up and the birth was terrible. I had to face one of the hugest fears of my life. But my mother feels that she has had everything 10 times worse than me and I am being pathetic. She knows how much I battle but yeah I am a bit tired of explaining. I relate to people a lot better here than with my family.

hedgebetty
18-09-07, 15:17
Sorry to hear your story. I am a newbie hear and can sympathise totally with your fears about not seeing your baby grow up. Of course you will! but I feel exactly the same. My son is 18 and about to go off to Uni. on Saturday. I can't believe how quickly the last 18 years have passed by. I am currently off work with dizziness, headaches, sweats, palpitations etc etc
I convinced myself that it is brain tumour although 4 doctors and an ENT consultant have not suggested this! am waiting for anxiety counselling sessions to begin.
Nobody understands how real the physcial symptoms can manifest themselves in these situations. My mum is great..but she just wants me to say "hey, suddenly I feel well again!". It adds pressure to realise that people want you to get better quickly too.
Good luck. enjoy you baby whilst still young too! Lovely. :)