PDA

View Full Version : worried i have a higher chance of getting schizophrenia because of....

devo343
22-06-19, 12:14
so i was watching a video on how people with high functioning autism{I have a Form form of this} have a higher chance of getting schizophrenia
i dont if this true because another article said because they happen in the same part of the brain they cant co exist. So i dont know but its making me worried.

ankietyjoe
22-06-19, 12:53
Autism is a blanket term for dozens of barely understood condition, and so is schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is considered by some experts to be a natural variation of brain function that we have as children (imaginary friends, intense imagination, varied personalities and acting out etc) exaggerated by significant stresses or life trauma's.

A study that says you have a higher chance of getting something is often misleading. For example the study could say your chances of getting X from Y is increased 50% if you do Z!!!!! In reality what that means is your chances go from 1 in a thousand to 1.5 in a thousand. It's a relative measure.

Also, nobody knows for sure, so don't worry about it.

ErinKC
22-06-19, 15:40
Autism is a blanket term for dozens of barely understood condition, and so is schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is considered by some experts to be a natural variation of brain function that we have as children (imaginary friends, intense imagination, varied personalities and acting out etc) exaggerated by significant stresses or life trauma's.

A study that says you have a higher chance of getting something is often misleading. For example the study could say your chances of getting X from Y is increased 50% if you do Z!!!!! In reality what that means is your chances go from 1 in a thousand to 1.5 in a thousand. It's a relative measure.

Also, nobody knows for sure, so don't worry about it.

I agree. I HATE when people sight the increased chances of something happening without quantifying the data. The statement means nothing without knowing the numbers involved. And, like ankietyjoe says, there are still way too many questions about the causes of both conditions to be able to say anything like this for sure.

I also just googled and read an article that said one study shows that schizophrenia occurred less often in autistic adults, one study found no difference, and one study showed an increase.... Sooo, I wouldn't worry about this. Schizophrenia only affects about 1% of the population world-wide, so even if being autistic increases your chances, those chances are still extremely small.

MyNameIsTerry
22-06-19, 16:15
I agree. I HATE when people sight the increased chances of something happening without quantifying the data. The statement means nothing without knowing the numbers involved. And, like ankietyjoe says, there are still way too many questions about the causes of both conditions to be able to say anything like this for sure.

I also just googled and read an article that said one study shows that schizophrenia occurred less often in autistic adults, one study found no difference, and one study showed an increase.... Sooo, I wouldn't worry about this. Schizophrenia only affects about 1% of the population world-wide, so even if being autistic increases your chances, those chances are still extremely small.

Erin, have a look at this website posted by one of our Admin's. It's an amusing take on statistics:

Btw and as a complete aside, those amongst who enjoy statistics (I'm afraid I'm in that category) might enjoy this site:

http://www.tylervigen.com (http://www.tylervigen.com/)

I particularly like the 'link' between cheese consumption and dying by becoming tangled in bedsheets. I wonder if this is where the Daily Mail gets some of its health stories from?

Pip

ErinKC
22-06-19, 16:42
Thanks, Terry! I love stuff like this! My husband is an economist and he's turned me into a complete statistics snob! We live under the banner of "correlation is not causation" !