PDA

View Full Version : amoxicillin scare. Tell me some good story's

josh1987
24-06-19, 15:01
Ok when to the doctors and have been given amoxicillin to take. But ofcouse I g
*Dr googled* now m so scared to take it. Who has taken it? What size affects did you get? How bad where them, how long did they last??? Having pannic attacks over it.

Fishmanpa
24-06-19, 15:16
Its the most widely prescribed antibiotic ever. I cannot even begin to count the times I've taken that in my life and never had an issue. I'm 60 and still here so.....

Positive thoughts

Midnight-mouse
24-06-19, 16:01
I second FMP it’s such a common antibiotic to be prescribed I would be amazed if someone hadn’t of taken it at least once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nomorepanic
24-06-19, 17:41
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

spectrum123
24-06-19, 19:58
I'm allergic to it, I was fine for years then suddenly reacted. All that happens is I get hives (urticaria), it doesn't actually make me ill, I just look very weird for 12 hours with huge red bumps radiating out from sweat points (most of your major joints). Then the centers go back to normal pink, so I'm left with red rings that grow out like a ripple effect. The cure is simple, a couple of over the counter hay fever tablets, all gone within 3-4 hours. As I said, during this I don't feel ill at all, just look a bit odd (well odder than usual), in fact, I've gone to the pub whilst having this allergic reaction waiting for the hay fever tablets to do their stuff!
Consequently, I'm not given amoxicillin, but alternatives, these give your guts a bit of a bashing and actually feel worse than the allergic reaction.
So, don't worry about it, allergic reactions are rare and usually mild like mine.

josh1987
24-06-19, 23:07
Have they ever made you feel sick or spewed?

spectrum123
24-06-19, 23:39
No, never spewed, just grumbling guts for a few days, soon passes.

josh1987
25-06-19, 01:53
As in the feeling of needing to spew?

MyNameIsTerry
25-06-19, 02:22
I've taken it many times since childhood. Havins asthma meant most colds ended up turning into chest infections and this was always the go-to med by the GP's at our practice. Being used to easily with kids my age 7+ you would expect it to be trustworthy. How many millions use it without a side effect? I think the most I've heard is some GI stuff but I've never had a problem even when I took it once I had anxiety.

Like spectrum says there are some that are more likely to have side effects and doctors use those less for that reason. They are often a more specific condition med or a 2nd line med.

The warnings have to be there because of the law. If they weren't the drug companies would be getting sued all the time for not telling us. But it's the probabilities you have to look at as many side effects are so rare they don't even have stats about them.

josh1987
25-06-19, 02:29
It's 500mg 3 times a day. I was think just take 2 aday.

MyNameIsTerry
25-06-19, 03:00
You need to take the prescribed dose or they may not work. If you need some reassurance to get you to take them then your pharmacist is easy to get hold of.

BlueIris
25-06-19, 04:52
Agreeing with Terry, pharmacists are usually brilliant people who sometimes have more time to explain things than doctors.

Also, not taking antibiotics in the prescribed way is a bad idea for any number of reasons that I won't detail here.

josh1987
25-06-19, 07:49
Well I'm worried about the side affects of them. Like so so scared

BlueIris
25-06-19, 07:54
That doesn't mean that your fears are rational.

Midnight-mouse
25-06-19, 09:36

If you want to get better take them as prescribed, side effects aren’t necessarily linked to dose... often it’s either you have a reaction or you don’t. Honestly most people are absolutely fine with amoxicillin, at worse maybe a bottom end tummy upset that can be helped by taking a good probiotic alongside as this is the case for taking any antibiotics really.

panic_down_under
25-06-19, 13:19

NO! Please don't do this. Amoxicillin has a short half-life, just a bit over an hour, so you need to take it exactly as prescribed to ensure enough of the med is in your system at all times. You don't want to give the bacteria any respite as that increases the chances of it developing resistance. Antibiotic resistance has become a real problem that could see the resurgence of terrible diseases that regularly devastated humanity until antibiotics became readily available in the 1950s.

Have you weighed the tiny side-effects risk against the potential far greater risk to your health from the infection the med has been prescribed for? You could be avoiding a minor issue only to be hit by something far more serious.

Would it be easier to take the drug if you were in a safe place such as your doctor's waiting room, or that of the nearest hospital ER? If anything seriously untoward is going to happen it most likely will within the first hour. Half the drug will have dropped out of your system by then.

josh1987
25-06-19, 15:51
O so it has a very short half life? So by right any side affects from them would be for ing a short time? People say you may get a upset guts and the runs. As in where you can't keep going on with you day?

josh1987
25-06-19, 16:07
NO! Please don't do this. Amoxicillin has a short half-life, just a bit over an hour, so you need to take it exactly as prescribed to ensure enough of the med is in your system at all times. You don't want to give the bacteria any respite as that increases the chances of it developing resistance. Antibiotic resistance has become a real problem that could see the resurgence of terrible diseases that regularly devastated humanity until antibiotics became readily available in the 1950s.

Have you weighed the tiny side-effects risk against the potential far greater risk to your health from the infection the med has been prescribed for? You could be avoiding a minor issue only to be hit by something far more serious.

Would it be easier to take the drug if you were in a safe place such as your doctor's waiting room, or that of the nearest hospital ER? If anything seriously untoward is going to happen it most likely will within the first hour. Half the drug will have dropped out of your system by then.

so it has a very short half life? So by right any side affects from them would be for ing a short time? People say you may get a upset guts and the runs. As in where you can't keep going on with you day?
Multi-Quote This Message

MyNameIsTerry
25-06-19, 16:15
Half life just means the point at which a substance starts to be eliminated. However there are different types of half life (e.g. distribution, elimination, etc) but it's the elimination one we tend to think of more. In the case of side effects both are relevant here but with such a short life drug both with be very fast in reaching their peaks (which will be earlier than the half life). Without checking the timings, I couldn't say but I'm sure Ian will know.

However when it comes to allergic reactions they come on much quicker than normal side effects. But not all allergic reactions are equal. For instance, my mum was found to be allergic to a form of antibiotic she hadn't taken before (not yours) and the reaction was the runs and being sick but nothing as bad as a stomach bug. Removal of the drug immediately stopped it.

I agree with Ian on this, take your earlier doses with a friend to give you reassurance. It's anticipatory anxiety and that fades the more you do things.

josh1987
25-06-19, 22:27
So even if you are sick of them it's not as bad as a tummy bug? God a hate anxiety

MyNameIsTerry
26-06-19, 02:02
So even if you are sick of them it's not as bad as a tummy bug? God a hate anxiety

In my mother's case I would say it wasn't. It obviously is unpleasant being that way but she didn't have the illness the bug brings with it that makes you feel even worse.

I only gave you this as an example to say just because something may have a side effect even then it may not be a full throttle affair as it may read. Like I said earlier I took this antibiotic many times as a small child without any issues. Like Mouse mentioned it can just be some slight change in stool (antibiotics kill the good gut flora as well and that's why you can experience constipation, bowel changes, etc but they are easily resolved and even prevented) and eating yoghurt helps with this anyway.

josh1987
26-06-19, 02:49
I'm not a yoghurt person is there anything else ?

MyNameIsTerry
26-06-19, 03:19
Probiotic supplements are available. Usually in pill form. They can vary though so it means doing your homework. A popular one is Biokult, if you can get it out there, but there are ones with more/better in for a better price if you do the research but it means looking at the strains in them. Plenty on the internet about them to help with that.

panic_down_under
26-06-19, 08:56
so it has a very short half life? So by right any side affects from them would be for ing a short time? People say you may get a upset guts and the runs. As in where you can't keep going on with you day?
Multi-Quote This Message

Most of the side-effects should diminish fairly quickly after stopping the med, but the gut ones don't always. This is because they are often caused by the antibiotic nuking beneficial gut flora and it can take a while for them to repopulate. As Terry has suggested, yogurt, Yakult, probiotic capsules/tablets/powders can help with restoring gut flora. Fermented foods such as sauerkraut - note: not all sauerkraut is fermented these days so read the pack label carefully, the fermented varieties are usually found in supermarket fridge aisles, or the delicatessen section - kombucha, miso, tempeh, etc, can also be beneficial.

Phill2
27-06-19, 02:25
No bad things for me either and I'm 66

josh1987
27-06-19, 05:11
Do you get the belly upset?

Phill2
27-06-19, 05:42
Do you get the belly upset?

No not usually

josh1987
27-06-19, 23:56
Still to scared to take this dam tablet

josh1987
28-06-19, 06:35
:( :( :(

BlueIris
28-06-19, 06:38
What do you want us to do?

josh1987
28-06-19, 07:14
Take it for me lol. I'm not sure just in one of them pannic moods

BlueIris
28-06-19, 07:44
It doesn't have to be a performance piece, Josh, just get a glass of water and swallow the tablet.

josh1987
28-06-19, 15:16
Can they make you worse? Sorry for the 10000 questions but I don't want to Google it

BlueIris
28-06-19, 15:36
I'm not an expert, but it should make you feel better - maybe once the infection reduces a little you'll be able to think more clearly.

josh1987
28-06-19, 23:22
It seems I'm really stuck

panic_down_under
29-06-19, 02:50
You're going to have to decide what is worse, Josh, the small risk of vomiting and diarrhoea versus the pain and potential risks of letting the infection run its course. I urge you do so soon as you've given the bugs quite a head start.

Luna night
29-06-19, 21:02
I suffer from anxiety when taking any drugs but amoxicillin didn’t give me any issues.

Dying_Swan
29-06-19, 21:33
How are you doing Josh? Did you take it yet? What's it been prescribed for? Sorry if I missed that bit. I've taken it lots of times, don't remember having any issues at all with it. I'm allergic to penicillin now so don't have it anymore, but even then it's hives, nothing too awful. As lots of people have already said, you can help protect your gut with probiotics. It should say on the pack whether to take it before, with or after food, and that's important too. Hopefully you've bitten the bullet and started them now, and are feeling ok.

MyNameIsTerry
30-06-19, 00:53
How are you doing Josh? Did you take it yet? What's it been prescribed for? Sorry if I missed that bit. I've taken it lots of times, don't remember having any issues at all with it. I'm allergic to penicillin now so don't have it anymore, but even then it's hives, nothing too awful. As lots of people have already said, you can help protect your gut with probiotics. It should say on the pack whether to take it before, with or after food, and that's important too. Hopefully you've bitten the bullet and started them now, and are feeling ok.

Here's another thread that explains it's for an abscess:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?230549-Massive-Toothache-panadeine-forte-SCARE&p=1882103#post1882103

He really needs to get them taken now the tooth has come out.

josh1987
30-06-19, 06:01
I got them for a infection in my foot. But a few days later I have a massive toothache and are 2days no sleep and the worse pain in my life I went and got it pulled out there's a infection in there allso. No still sitting in the box say nothing about taking with with or without food.

Phill2
30-06-19, 07:14
If you don't take em the abcess in your gum is going to get worse.
I take all tabs with food just to be sure.

BlueIris
30-06-19, 07:34
You do know what can happen if an infection gets out of control, yes? It doesn't happen often, but people can suffer serious harm from this sort of thing.

josh1987
30-06-19, 07:53
Yes and that scares me allso

josh1987
30-06-19, 07:54
Sick of feeling so yuck allso

BlueIris
30-06-19, 08:00
Grow up and take the meds so that you can feel better.

josh1987
30-06-19, 08:41
Well my mum just came out and said how you feeling I said yeah ok Ish. She said *see I tired you you will not get sick from amoxicillin I said what do you mean she said I broke the tab up and put it your noddles* pannic attack but that was hrs ago she did that so I think I should have side effects by now right???

josh1987
30-06-19, 09:04
With the side affects side of as you take more do the side affects get more as it's building up in your body?

panic_down_under
30-06-19, 09:26
so I think I should have side effects by now right???

Yep.

With the side affects side of as you take more do the side affects get more as it's building up in your body?

Probably not by much

Midnight-mouse
30-06-19, 09:32

Not by my experience, keep taking them! They will get you better.

Dying_Swan
30-06-19, 11:57
Here's another thread that explains it's for an abscess:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?230549-Massive-Toothache-panadeine-forte-SCARE&p=1882103#post1882103

He really needs to get them taken now the tooth has come out.

Thanks Terry :)

Josh, I think you know you need them, like others have said. If the leaflet and prescription don't mention whether to take them before or after food, it probably doesn't matter. With some things it's important, not with others. Well done for starting them. Just make sure you take them as prescribed. Get yourself some probiotics to protect your gut. Hope you feel better soon

MyNameIsTerry
30-06-19, 16:18
I got them for a infection in my foot. But a few days later I have a massive toothache and are 2days no sleep and the worse pain in my life I went and got it pulled out there's a infection in there allso. No still sitting in the box say nothing about taking with with or without food.

So, didn't your dentist want you yo treat the abscess? Or did they know you had this antibiotic and thought it would handle this too?

Midnight-mouse
02-07-19, 08:29
Hi josh, how has everything been. Have you been taking the antibiotics?

Hope you’re doing well.

Mouse

josh1987
02-07-19, 14:17
To be honest I still having taken them.