PDA

View Full Version : Fungus or melanoma

helenhoo
11-12-18, 17:48
https://ibb.co/hc9LRsv
https://ibb.co/zRPTjNQ

I'm terrified. If I press on it the line mark sort of fades. It's not really brown or black but is there all the same. I feel sick with fear the toenail next to has fungal nail infection and has done for past year and half.

Worrywart84
11-12-18, 17:54
I’m not even sure what I’m supposed to be looking at? Hopefully that makes you feel better.

helenhoo
11-12-18, 17:58
pale line down the bare toenail, thanks for your reply.

Phuzella
11-12-18, 18:07
Tea tree oil in water footbath for fungal nail :)

RadioGaGa
11-12-18, 18:13
Fungal infections of the nails commonly leave you with PERMANENT disfigurement of the nail. This never grows out.

However the pictures aren't clear (and I can't really see what you're worried about). Why not see your GP who can look at it with a dermatoscope and advise you further.

Kingdawson
11-12-18, 18:42
Ive had a visible line running down both my toenails for a long long time(both clearer than yours btw). My wife has a fainter one as well. Why do you care?

jojo2316
11-12-18, 18:48
It really is VERY pale, and you say it fades, neither of which are characteristics of melanoma. Even dark brown lines under the nail are not usually melanoma. My mum has one and has for years and the gp is completely not worried (and nor is she). I think 99% of people would never have noticed this line, which in my book suggests the HA monster is doing his work!
Ask a non HA friend or family member if they would bother showing it to the doctor and if they say no you should probably just work on your anxiety

Carys
11-12-18, 19:03
Welcome back Helen, I'd love to hear an update about your baby, which I think has been born fairly recently?

helenhoo
11-12-18, 21:03
my boyfriend doesn't know what I'm looking at but I see it! Coukd i see your photos please?

Hi Carys! I updated previously, all is well thank you minus the infection :/

pulisa
11-12-18, 21:13
Not a good idea to compare photos....

helenhoo
11-12-18, 21:31
I'm just worried that's all.

pulisa
11-12-18, 21:38
How will comparing photos help you though?

helenhoo
11-12-18, 22:19
because if it looks like mine it'll calm me down

utrocket09
12-12-18, 02:09
I have lines like that on my finger nails. They don't mean anything.

jojo2316
12-12-18, 07:03
Probably better to compare photos than GOOGLE (!!!!) though?

---------- Post added at 07:02 ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 ----------

Best of all though, if you are worried, show a gp

---------- Post added at 07:03 ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 ----------

And then BELIEVE what they say (hohoho!!)

Darksky
12-12-18, 10:26
I can't see anything at all.
Do you think you are climbing back up on the HA merry go round. Take a deep breath and consider this. You've been here before.
Try your best to get off it before it spirals. Take care xx

helenhoo
12-12-18, 13:29
the second photo shows it more clearly.

brucealmighty
12-12-18, 14:03
it looks exactly like what my mate had a few months back

Lola-Lee
13-12-18, 06:05
Absolutely nothing.You are lucky too have feet and toes.

Elen
13-12-18, 08:12
the second photo shows it more clearly.

Helen you are falling back into the HA cycle again.

You posted asking for re-assurance

You received re-assurance

You were asked about your anxiety

The reply " No but look at this next photo"

No thanks, no acknowledgement

Can you not see how we end up going round and round?

helenhoo
13-12-18, 18:21
I'm now worried I had a complex partial seizure because I was talking to my mom and sure I had someone say hello. Could be bells outside jingling. My mom would notice wouldn't see if I was standing opposite and talkong to her?

*i am on waiting list for CBT.

pulisa
13-12-18, 18:25
[QUOTE=Elen;1842718]Helen you are falling back into the HA cycle again.

You posted asking for re-assurance

You received re-assurance

You were asked about your anxiety

The reply " No but look at this next photo"

No thanks, no acknowledgement

Can you not see how we end up going round and round?[/QUOTE

Have you read Elen's post? If you haven't it would be a good idea to think about what she says.

helenhoo
13-12-18, 18:50
I did and I'm spiralling again

Toenail melanoma, kidney infection/appendicitis, schiz/Timor.

Carys
13-12-18, 18:53
I'm now worried I had a complex partial seizure because I was talking to my mom and sure I had someone say hello. Could be bells outside jingling. My mom would notice wouldn't see if I was standing opposite and talkong to her?

Thinking you might have heard someone say 'hello' or say anything for that matter, is not the symptom of a complex partial seizure. This happens to people all the time - I thought I hear a cat miaow earlier, we don't have a cat! There are MANY more things that would occur with a partial seizure. Not sure what you mean by the last sentence ?

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

I have no idea what a Schiz/Timor is, but if you do know its because you are looking things up online! Helen, how have you time for this with a new baby in the house? Thats an honest question.

RadioGaGa
13-12-18, 19:06
HelenHoo

I explained to you on another thread you posted what a partial seizure would feel like.

Nothing you've posted sounds anything like a partial seizure and I think you know that.

Believe me - if you ever experience a partial seizure, you will not be posting on here asking for reassurance. You'll be on your way to A&E.

To post on here, following any sort of seizure activity, would not even cross your mind.

pulisa
13-12-18, 19:39
I did and I'm spiralling again

The post is all the more helpful if you're spiralling though.

brucealmighty
13-12-18, 21:04
any updates on your new baby helen? I had crippling health anxiety for many years but found that having children utterly distracted me and gave me something and someone worthwhile to focus my attention on.

Violet Blue
14-12-18, 06:18
Could be bells outside jingling.

Santa come early!:wacko:

venusbluejeans
14-12-18, 10:57
Just remember folks that members do not need to give out any information about their families if they do not wish to... I am thinking that maybe Helen would rather talk about herself than divulging personal information about her child.

Members have every right to ask a member about such things but it is up to the member themselves if they chose to give the information out.

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=182032

Carys
14-12-18, 11:24
I am thinking that maybe Helen would rather talk about herself than divulging personal information about her child. I'm sure Helen would rather talk about herself, such is the nature of her anxiety. Venus I don't think people are expecting personal information at all (sorry on the need to respectfully disagree here) I think the point being made is that babies are the ultimate distraction, that is the default position of babies :)....and more focus on that (hence trying to distract her as Bruce did) might be more helpful to Helen?! It was Helen herself who brought up her pregnancy originally on the forum, and I think as although it is of course her right not to comment about anything she doesn't wish to, in order to give a 'holistic' response her new baby is relevant. It is especially relevant given the sudden and dramatic spiralling of Helen's re-ignited HA. Children always need to come first.

brucealmighty
14-12-18, 12:37
any updates on your new baby helen? I had crippling health anxiety for many years but found that having children utterly distracted me and gave me something and someone worthwhile to focus my attention on.

what personal information am I asking for here exactly?

I am 4 years medication free and living a happy productive life so stupidly thought I`d pop back on here after a long break to give a bit of help or guidance where possible. my main issue was health anxiety so again I aimed towards that particular board. Helen is still exhibiting her old patterns so I tried to switch her focus to something joyful and positive, i.e. her new child

please don`t misquote me or suggest I`m after personal details of a baby in any shape, way or form. I am clear on forum rules so don`t charge in and slap me down when I`m being sincere and helpful.

Carys thank you for your support, glad you could see what I was trying to do.

pulisa
14-12-18, 12:41
I agree with Carys. Her baby is especially relevant in this situation and needs to come first.

NancyW
14-12-18, 13:15
Helen is still exhibiting her old patterns so I tried to switch her focus to something joyful and positive, i.e. her new child

Yes!! Perfect!! I wish Helen would engage, I think it would surely get her mind on something positive even if it was just briefly.

Sadly, I tried this a few times while she was pregnant but got nowhere.

MyNameIsTerry
14-12-18, 15:54
I agree with Carys. Her baby is especially relevant in this situation and needs to come first.

I agree too. I would only say that we might be reminded because someone appears to not want to discuss something and we might be being pushy about personal information (which I've seen before on here, intrusive questioning, but that's not what I see here) but that's for Reb to state really. And for Venus to explain if she was gentle steering rather than how it appears to have been taken.

helenhoo
14-12-18, 23:12
baby is well and I'm loving motherhood just not loving my old ways. Turns out the hello o heard yesteday was my sister who I'd butt dialed. I'm back to worrying about appendicitis and this toenail mark which I just went off to inspect once more. Someone said TM is rare occurrence in Caucasians?

---------- Post added at 23:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:57 ----------

I'm also worried because same toe has a horizontal split now which signifies melanoma OR could be the trauma from me ragging it every day to look at the mark.

'Common Horizontal and Vertical Split Nails Causes. Nail splitting is often caused by repeated trauma or pressure which applied to the nail. Fingernails and toenails are made of a protein called keratin'

NancyW
14-12-18, 23:16
Helen how can we help support you?

I hate to see you spiraling, especially now with your baby to enjoy. Anxiety is a theif, it steals our happiness, our time and if we're not careful, our life.

Fishmanpa
14-12-18, 23:20
Reb, Respectfully, I've stayed off your threads because frankly it's been the....

https://media.giphy.com/media/euna4DA7PXW9MTE5Dq/giphy.gif

You owe it to your child as well as yourself to finally...finally get real life professional help.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts

venusbluejeans
14-12-18, 23:50
Not saying at all that Helens baby isn't an important factor and my comment was just a general comment and not aimed at anyone and was not saying that anyone had asked anything very personal. I said that it is ok for anyone to ask about things but was up to Helen what she replies with about her personal life..... sorry for any misunderstanding

MyNameIsTerry
15-12-18, 01:45
Not saying at all that Helens baby isn't an important factor and my comment was just a general comment and not aimed at anyone and was not saying that anyone had asked anything very personal. I said that it is ok for anyone to ask about things but was up to Helen what she replies with about her personal life..... sorry for any misunderstanding

Thanks Venus, that was what I was wondering about.

---------- Post added at 01:45 ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 ----------

Reb,

You must be very busy with a baby (unless women the world over have been lying to us men for eternity :sofa::biggrin:) and I'm wondering how you feel about these thoughts & symptoms during these times. Does it fade away as you get on with what is needed? When does it come back and what are you doing at the time, perhaps when it's free time and the mind starts looking for things?

Carys
15-12-18, 09:26
So, the 'hello' and voice was an accidental call on your phone. Well, that proves something doesn't it, there was no seizure....you jumped to a seizure and there was THE most benign/non-reason possible for hearing the voice. Stop looking for catastrophic reasons, look to the simple!

The reason why I personally bring up in discussion here the baby, again, is because at this point in time the baby will be none the wiser as to the crippling HA anxiety and obsessions his/her mother is facing. (Unless, of course, the HA obsessions are affecting his/her care or interaction already) As he/she grows up it will start to have greater impact, due to an increased awareness level. As a mother I wanted nothing about my behaviour or mental health problems to negatively affect my child and that is something Helenhoo needs to consider in getting quick treatment, and in the meantime following strong self-help measures.

---------- Post added at 09:26 ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 ----------

You must be very busy with a babyThats why I brought it up earlier in this thread and was surprised that time was even being found to be doing these internet searches about physical minutiae - like a 'line on a nail'. Terry it IS incredibly hard work those early weeks of a new baby, especially if its your first when it is a very steep and ever-changing learning curve. Mind, I guess if the baby is a content and 'easy one' then things could be more setled....the baby could be sleeping for many many hours a day and without external interaction for the mother, time can be found to obsess. There is no doubt that hormone changes and lifestyle/environmental changes can affect some women strongly, maybe Helenhoo is having a relapse into her anxiety because of those issues. I would hope that there is a health visitor still contactable and involved?

pulisa
15-12-18, 13:35
I know that Helen has admitted to boredom in the past as being a trigger for her HA.

Darksky
15-12-18, 14:09
[QUOTE=Carys;1843246]So, the 'hello' and voice was an accidental call on your phone. Well, that proves something doesn't it, there was no seizure....you jumped to a seizure and there was THE most benign/non-reason possible for hearing the voice. Stop looking for catastrophic reasons, look to the simple!

This is what I was thinking...read this again. There is a valuble lesson in here. You were convinced you'd had a seizure when in fact all it was was pocket dialling. Can't you see how your mind jumps to the most fantastical conclusions. It's going to be very hard but try to remember this phone/seizure episode.

MyNameIsTerry
16-12-18, 02:53
I know that Helen has admitted to boredom in the past as being a trigger for her HA.

Yes, I think she also said being occupied at work tends to keep it at bay. Given how busy I thought she would be with a new born baby I thought it would be very limited to the times she has free (and isn't knackered) and it's also notable how she isn't posting as much as before.

---------- Post added at 02:53 ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 ----------

Thats why I brought it up earlier in this thread and was surprised that time was even being found to be doing these internet searches about physical minutiae - like a 'line on a nail'. Terry it IS incredibly hard work those early weeks of a new baby, especially if its your first when it is a very steep and ever-changing learning curve. Mind, I guess if the baby is a content and 'easy one' then things could be more setled....the baby could be sleeping for many many hours a day and without external interaction for the mother, time can be found to obsess. There is no doubt that hormone changes and lifestyle/environmental changes can affect some women strongly, maybe Helenhoo is having a relapse into her anxiety because of those issues. I would hope that there is a health visitor still contactable and involved?

Yes, the body has gone through something major with big impacts on hormonal levels (remember, man here so no clue about things like that! :winks:) so some new mothers may be very busy and just collapsing too tired to be anything else but others may find their anxiety worsens due to the change in the body but also the enormity of responsibility that suddenly hits. And then there is the potential for depression.

It could mean this is a spike due to all that but obviously there is still the untreated anxiety under it all that won't go away. That might leak back into life as time is less demanded but also as the natural scares of childhood illness come like many a parent on here (and any parent surely struggles when their kids are ill without the added challenged of mental health disorders).

helenhoo
18-12-18, 06:52
Baby is fine, so in love. It's only wjen he's napping I have compulsion to check.

Im now anxious at 7am because I read that toenail melanoma is caused by trauma or injury and I HAVE been pressing and picking the nail and cuticle. Not an awful lot just occasionally but now I'm worried if it WASN'T melanoma that it could turn into it.

utrocket09
18-12-18, 09:06
Baby is fine, so in love. It's only wjen he's napping I have compulsion to check.

Im now anxious at 7am because I read that toenail melanoma is caused by trauma or injury and I HAVE been pressing and picking the nail and cuticle. Not an awful lot just occasionally but now I'm worried if it WASN'T melanoma that it could turn into it.

Helen if that was the case, we would all have it.

RadioGaGa
18-12-18, 12:40
My mother is an avid horserider. She's in her late 50s and has been riding from the age of 10.

In all those years she has sustained many injuries, namely from the horse standing on her toes. She's had broken toes, you name it. And no melanoma of the nail.

HelenHoo, try to stop the nonsense posting on here and seek help from your doctor. It's a very unhealthy situation to be in, especially with a newborn

Good luck

Carys
18-12-18, 13:02
Helen if that was the case, we would all have it.

Indeed !

Scass
18-12-18, 19:15
Hi Helen,
I had terrible anxiety after my new baby bubble had got into a routine. I was sat breastfeeding for ages & Googling all day some days and I don’t think it’s helpful.

So maybe you can be proactive & try to fill your mind with something else while you’re in maternity leave. For example, I watched 4 series of Modern Family in the first few months of motherhood. I loved it because it really lifted my mood from the tiredness and drain of being a new Mum. Regardless of how much I loved my daughter, mind did not like to sleep unless she was on me.

Also, make use of your health visitor, they are mostly lovely women who can help with so many things. Show her your toe if you like! They can also coach in anxiety.

I bet you’re rocking motherhood, don’t let your anxiety tell you otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helenhoo
20-12-18, 22:17
Still anxious about this toe line. Would you say I should see a doctor about? Certain angles in livby I can't see it but other times I can. I have painted it to hide it but left a gap to see if it darkens and spreads.

I am so lookong forward to Christmas. I am only worrying when I'm away from Baby like now baby is sleeping.

MyNameIsTerry
21-12-18, 02:54
This proves to you that distraction works and it's when you are not busy with something else that your mind wanders back. Obviously, distraction alone isn't enough to resolve anxiety as more work in therapy is needed but it's a start when you feel the obsession building and the need to complete compulsions.

Therefore why not try a stop technique. Something that means when you feel that need, you start an activity for a set amount of time (often 15 minutes) to see if your anxiety naturally reduces. Then you reassess whether you need to do the compulsion and hopefully you feel you can ignore it as you don't feel it as intense.

Glad to hear things are going well with the baby. Baby's first Christmas too! Will that keep you busy with doting relatives?

Double_Rainbow
21-12-18, 13:34
Still anxious about this toe line. Would you say I should see a doctor about? Certain angles in livby I can't see it but other times I can. I have painted it to hide it but left a gap to see if it darkens and spreads.

I am so lookong forward to Christmas. I am only worrying when I'm away from Baby like now baby is sleeping.

If you don't mind me asking Helen: what ethnicity are you? I am asking because these darker lines on the nails are very common, VERY common, in people of Asian and East Indian descent. When I had melanoma anxiety I recall looking at people's nails constantly looking for those lines, and I found that pretty much every other Asian person had them at least on one finger. Same for East Indians. This is normal for them and should not be a cause for any concern.

If you are white, it becomes slightly less common. You know, having as much HA as I do now, if I saw that darker line on my nails, I would show it to a derm. NOT because I thought it was melanoma, but to appease my HA. To cross the Ts so to speak. You saw something, you took action, a professional cleared you - DONE. We can sit there all day long trying to convince you that it's nothing, but nothing works as well (and is as valid) as reassurance from a professional. Just promise yourself that once a derm clears you, you will make every effort to put this behind you and move on.

brucealmighty
21-12-18, 18:41
Are posts being deleted on this thread by admin or not saving properly?

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:24 ----------

Just saw admin removal notes can I ask why?

---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

Bump

---------- Post added at 18:06 ---------- Previous post was at 18:05 ----------

Bump

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:06 ----------

Admin can you please explain why these posts were deleted?

nomorepanic
21-12-18, 18:48
The posts were reported to us. Please see this thread:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=182032

brucealmighty
21-12-18, 20:25
thank you. I`ve read the thread previously and I`m still not sure what the issue is this time to be honest.

Helen/Reb has a long standing pattern of repeated behaviours and is not likely to ever get anywhere near a recovery while she is being encouraged by yourselves to continue in her ways. I`ve not been offensive, triggered, upset or angry, i`ve merely agreed with a post that says trying to help helen with kindness or advice is unlikely to do any good

The forum surely has a higher purpose than patting people on the head and allowing literally thousands of similar posts? at some point it may be prudent to take a step back and decide is it helpful for people to metaphorically stroll in here, sh*t everywhere and walk out again, or is it truly a safe place to come for all parties where occasional good advice or tough love may be welcomed and received in the spirit it`s been given

I`ve had over 20 years experience of mental health problems personally. multiple bereavements, alcoholism, several suicides of close friends, self harm, unemployment, not nice but you can get through it with help.

the one thing I can guarantee won`t help anyone is censorship or pandering to some members while coming down hard on others.

don`t delete this. debate it, pull it to bits, question me, use my suffering as a way to get through your own or it`s all been a waste. we`re supposed to be here to help each other aren`t we?

have I got toenail melanoma? no idea. did I smell smoke? no idea. always questions that can`t be answered by anyone on here

have you got a new baby that needs you to grow up and modify your thinking patterns? Yes. Unequivocally yes.

Double_Rainbow
21-12-18, 20:50
Now it clicked. I remember Helen as "Han" from AZ back in the day. It makes me very sad to realize that things never got better for her. Hopefully one day.

---------- Post added at 15:50 ---------- Previous post was at 15:47 ----------

Helen: if I recall correctly, you are of Asian descent, right? If so, dark lines on the nails are 100% normal for you. They are not melanoma. See them as moles under the nail. I hope this helps.

Violet Blue
22-12-18, 14:09
thank you. I`ve read the thread previously and I`m still not sure what the issue is this time to be honest.

Helen/Reb has a long standing pattern of repeated behaviours and is not likely to ever get anywhere near a recovery while she is being encouraged by yourselves to continue in her ways. I`ve not been offensive, triggered, upset or angry, i`ve merely agreed with a post that says trying to help helen with kindness or advice is unlikely to do any good

The forum surely has a higher purpose than patting people on the head and allowing literally thousands of similar posts? at some point it may be prudent to take a step back and decide is it helpful for people to metaphorically stroll in here, sh*t everywhere and walk out again, or is it truly a safe place to come for all parties where occasional good advice or tough love may be welcomed and received in the spirit it`s been given

I`ve had over 20 years experience of mental health problems personally. multiple bereavements, alcoholism, several suicides of close friends, self harm, unemployment, not nice but you can get through it with help.

the one thing I can guarantee won`t help anyone is censorship or pandering to some members while coming down hard on others.

don`t delete this. debate it, pull it to bits, question me, use my suffering as a way to get through your own or it`s all been a waste. we`re supposed to be here to help each other aren`t we?

have I got toenail melanoma? no idea. did I smell smoke? no idea. always questions that can`t be answered by anyone on here

have you got a new baby that needs you to grow up and modify your thinking patterns? Yes. Unequivocally yes.

Thanks for the voice of reason, Bruce!

Just for the record, before the Feds decided I was being too mean to Princess Helen, all I said to Double Rainbow was that there was no point in being kind and understanding to her, and that trying to reason with her will get you absolutely nowhere. I merely said that just by leaving her to it with this toenail thing she'll soon get bored and move onto the next thing.

I did not even mention this baby of hers.

Anyone with any sense will now realise that by deleting posts such as these, you are DRAWING ATTENTION to their contents, in a way that leaving them be would not.

Bruce, if this is deleted too, I hope you'll defend me again.

Thanks.

pulisa
22-12-18, 14:19
I hope your post isn't deleted, Violet. I think the boredom issue is an important one for helenhoo. Nothing further really needs to be said.

Carys
22-12-18, 15:42
Helen: if I recall correctly, you are of Asian descent, right? If so, dark lines on the nails are 100% normal for you. They are not melanoma. See them as moles under the nail. I hope this helps.
Absolutely correct. My family are Asian and have these dark nail lines.

I can't comment on the post deletion.....didn't read them.....but I do think there is a strange feeling of 'protection' on this particular thread, for this user. As if anything even vaguely 'unsettling/challenging' for the poster won't be tolerated, it feels like a different set of rules here to other threads. Just an opinion, based on very little knowledge as I didn't read the posts LOL. The problem is that Helenhoo has a long history on this forum and previous forums, and as new people come along they start the process all over again as they don't know the background, and Helenhoo/Reb never moves forwards.

littlemissworry.x
22-12-18, 16:17
I was removing my nail varnish on my toes once and my big toe nail was black, I instantly freaked out! Then I realised I had been wearing work shoes that were too small and it had bruised my toenail

pulisa
22-12-18, 16:33
Absolutely correct. My family are Asian and have these dark nail lines.

I can't comment on the post deletion.....didn't read them.....but I do think there is a strange feeling of 'protection' on this particular thread, for this user. As if anything even vaguely 'unsettling/challenging' for the poster won't be tolerated, it feels like a different set of rules here to other threads. Just an opinion, based on very little knowledge as I didn't read the posts LOL. The problem is that Helenhoo has a long history on this forum and previous forums, and as new people come along they start the process all over again as they don't know the background, and Helenhoo/Reb never moves forwards.

I agree with you, Carys.

Double_Rainbow
23-12-18, 02:04
I *think*, from my observation of Helen's posting behavior, that posting in itself satisfies the "C" component of her OCD. She doesn't need the replies, advice, or anything of that sort, she posted about it and the vicious circle is complete. Until next time, when she posts another thread about the same thing. That's the typical OCD cycle. For most of us, "C" is going to the doctor or doing a medical procedure, but for her is posting. To each their own...

MyNameIsTerry
23-12-18, 02:51
I *think*, from my observation of Helen's posting behavior, that posting in itself satisfies the "C" component of her OCD. She doesn't need the replies, advice, or anything of that sort, she posted about it and the vicious circle is complete. Until next time, when she posts another thread about the same thing. That's the typical OCD cycle. For most of us, "C" is going to the doctor or doing a medical procedure, but for her is posting. To each their own...

The compulsion is so often reassurance seeking for HAers. Confession compulsions seem more prevalent in other themes e.g. ROCD, from my own observations on here.

It's a possibility though, that getting it out there helps. I'm less inclined to agree on this with Reb (now Helen) because of the bumping but it might be relevant to another repetitive poster who has said he uses the forum as way to deal with his feelings rather than in the real world.

From observing confession in other themes it's a build up of feelings that are released in the compulsion but it's tied in with reassurance seeking again as they feel the need for absolution, forgiveness, reassurance, etc.

brucealmighty
23-12-18, 11:42
Bingo. Wise words as always Gary. I stepped away too for the same reason. Hope you're well, all the best for the season

helenhoo
23-12-18, 11:59
I am not of Asian decent, so you think it is a dark line?

Carys
23-12-18, 11:59
ASk your healthvisitor, as suggested earlier. OR just forget it, and move on.

NancyW
23-12-18, 13:22
Bingo. Wise words as always Gary. I stepped away too for the same reason. Hope you're well, all the best for the season

Yikes! I got sucked back in too, her being a new mom and all I thought the pattern might have broken.
:-(

helenhoo
23-12-18, 13:28
I'm not asian, so you think it is a dark line?

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:25 ----------

https://ibb.co/cJLm4C8

WITH THE FLASH ON IT IS A LOT LIGHTER BUT STILL THETR.

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:26 ----------

I haven't sprouted any BS I've tried to hide my personal details so may have said I live in a different town but that's it.

MyNameIsTerry
23-12-18, 13:55
This proves to you that distraction works and it's when you are not busy with something else that your mind wanders back. Obviously, distraction alone isn't enough to resolve anxiety as more work in therapy is needed but it's a start when you feel the obsession building and the need to complete compulsions.

Therefore why not try a stop technique. Something that means when you feel that need, you start an activity for a set amount of time (often 15 minutes) to see if your anxiety naturally reduces. Then you reassess whether you need to do the compulsion and hopefully you feel you can ignore it as you don't feel it as intense.

Glad to hear things are going well with the baby. Baby's first Christmas too! Will that keep you busy with doting relatives?

Reb, please consider this. Look for ways to steer your mind away from thinking about your fears. If you can achieve this when you are forced to because you are busy then there is a very good chance you can do so (until you can work on your anxiety in therapy to resolve it) to reduce the intensity of this in your downtime.

Carys
23-12-18, 14:44
I think that is good advice from Terry. Allow yourself only a small set period of time to 'concern yourself' about these things, which really are non-things to be honest! When that time is up, move on, force yourself to do something else, anything, clean out cupboards, anything.....

There are things you can do whilst waiting for your therapy, but it will take effort, LOTS of effort. We can't solve this for you, only YOu can.

Scass
23-12-18, 19:52
I may not have been here for years, so can someone explain why some people so unnecessarily rude to the OP? This is still an anxiety forum where people who are anxious come to talk about their problems isn’t it? Is it anyone’s problem but the OP if they choose to ignore it?

I would be very hesitant to seek advice if this was the response I got. Luckily the OP has a thicker skin than me.

nomorepanic
23-12-18, 20:31
Totally agree Scass.

I will be removing some of the replies on here very soon.

We have said this many times - if a member annoys/frustrates/angers you then walk away from the post.

jojo2316
23-12-18, 21:42
I may not have been here for years, so can someone explain why some people so unnecessarily rude to the OP? This is still an anxiety forum where people who are anxious come to talk about their problems isn’t it? Is it anyone’s problem but the OP if they choose to ignore it?

I would be very hesitant to seek advice if this was the response I got. Luckily the OP has a thicker skin than me.

Very well said Scass. I find it perplexing. Hypo gets the same kind of response ..... Maybe I’ve missed something, but genuinely don’t understand....

venusbluejeans
23-12-18, 21:58
We have said this many times - if a member annoys/frustrates/angers you then walk away from the post.

There is also adding them to your ignore list where you don't see the members post in the first place https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/profile.php?do=ignorelist

pulisa
23-12-18, 22:05
I hate to see members' kindness and support exploited though.

jojo2316
23-12-18, 22:10
I hate to see members' kindness and support exploited though.

Yes but it’s surely not intentional. Rabbit holes are dark places.....

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:08 ----------

But I think the thing I particularly don’t understand, is that the posters who cause “annoyance” get the most attention!!!

pulisa
23-12-18, 22:12
Darker for some than for others And some have pretty accessible and convenient escape hatches..

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:11 ----------

Attention is what they need and crave so objective achieved

venusbluejeans
23-12-18, 22:20
Attention is what they need and crave so objective achieved

Exactly so removing that is sometimes the kindest and easiest way to stop the thinking......... and the frustration of the members replying.

Anyway back on topic for the thread I think ......

jojo2316
23-12-18, 22:24
Exactly so removing that is sometimes the kindest and easiest way to stop the thinking......... and the frustration of the members replying.

Anyway back on topic for the thread I think ......

So I think: if replying causes crossness, don’t reply. Then no more crossness. Objective achieved! :yesyes:

Double_Rainbow
26-12-18, 00:53
I am not of Asian decent, so you think it is a dark line?

Honestly Helen, there is no way for us to answer that. I do know that melanoma would be getting darker, not lighter. I've never had those lines myself, at least not that I noticed, but I know if I developed one, I would have gone to a dermatologist. So if you are truly concerned, go see one.

MyNameIsTerry
26-12-18, 01:03
Honestly Helen, there is no way for us to answer that. I do know that melanoma would be getting darker, not lighter. I've never had those lines myself, at least not that I noticed, but I know if I developed one, I would have gone to a dermatologist. So if you are truly concerned, go see one.

Unless you go private you can only get to a specialist through a GP referral. Then it can take many months to see some of them. When my mum has seen dermatologists it has taken up to six months.

And in our public system that also means pushing others back in the queue in a system bursting with limited resources & funding. So, unless your GP feels it's needed, that's generally the end of it as they are gatekeepers.

Double_Rainbow
26-12-18, 01:06
Yes but it’s surely not intentional. Rabbit holes are dark places.....

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:08 ----------

But I think the thing I particularly don’t understand, is that the posters who cause “annoyance” get the most attention!!!

Yes they are indeed dark places and yes, Helen's threads tend to be the longest. Just see this thread already going 8 pages and counting... :winks:

---------- Post added at 20:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:03 ----------

Unless you go private you can only get to a specialist through a GP referral. Then it can take many months to see some of them. When my mum has seen dermatologists it has taken up to six months.

And in our public system that also means pushing others back in the queue in a system bursting with limited resources & funding. So, unless your GP feels it's needed, that's generally the end of it as they are gatekeepers.

Sorry, I'm in the US so I forgot. That's fine though, GP is a good place to start. If GP doesn't feel that it is serious, this should be reassuring, I think. Plus Helen has already watched this for a few months. Melanoma would be getting darker and spreading. If it is getting lighter, that is very reassuring also.

MyNameIsTerry
26-12-18, 01:15
Yes they are indeed dark places and yes, Helen's threads tend to be the longest. Just see this thread already going 8 pages and counting... :winks:

---------- Post added at 20:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:03 ----------

Sorry, I'm in the US so I forgot. That's fine though, GP is a good place to start. If GP doesn't feel that it is serious, this should be reassuring, I think. Plus Helen has already watched this for a few months. Melanoma would be getting darker and spreading. If it is getting lighter, that is very reassuring also.

Yep, in your system you seem to obtain access much easier than we can.

Given Helen/Reb has been down this melanoma rabbit home several times before I suspect it's just another one of those occasions and they have resulted in multiple visits to walk-in clinics with very little effect on her anxiety so let's hope her therapy is coming soon. But that's not to say someone with training shouldn't be the judge but it's going to be a very fleeting form of reassurance, sadly, as is the norm for many on here.

NancyW
26-12-18, 02:29

So curious about how that works. Seems the GPs should be bursting at the seams and specialists would have a lighter load since no one can get to them without a referral.

We do get referrals too.. example, my son went for a physical, had a throat issue, his GP gave him the name of 3 ENTS to choose from. He called and got in the following week.

He could have easily called an ENT on his own and got in just as quickly.

There are plenty of GPs or specialists to choose from.

Why do you have "limited resources" ? Are there not enough drs? Not enough specialists? Why is there a "queue"?

It all seems so odd.

Several years ago I had female issues, I knew if I went to my GP, she'd send me to a gynecologist. So why go to 2 apts? I called my gyn and got right in, ran through a battery of tests (horrid for ha), and in the end it was minor and we were done. I wouldn't dream of fiddling with a GP over it, it was a gyn issue.

That course just makes sense to me, why go to 2 drs when only 1 is needed? (Ok babbling, must be all the sugar I had at our Christmas dinner lol)

MyNameIsTerry
26-12-18, 06:14
So curious about how that works. Seems the GPs should be bursting at the seams and specialists would have a lighter load since no one can get to them without a referral.

We do get referrals too.. example, my son went for a physical, had a throat issue, his GP gave him the name of 3 ENTS to choose from. He called and got in the following week.

He could have easily called an ENT on his own and got in just as quickly.

There are plenty of GPs or specialists to choose from.

Why do you have "limited resources" ? Are there not enough drs? Not enough specialists? Why is there a "queue"?

It all seems so odd.

Several years ago I had female issues, I knew if I went to my GP, she'd send me to a gynecologist. So why go to 2 apts? I called my gyn and got right in, ran through a battery of tests (horrid for ha), and in the end it was minor and we were done. I wouldn't dream of fiddling with a GP over it, it was a gyn issue.

That course just makes sense to me, why go to 2 drs when only 1 is needed? (Ok babbling, must be all the sugar I had at our Christmas dinner lol)

It's funded through our taxes. That constrains it since tax increases can be a vote loser even if it's needed.

The NHS have for decades recruited doctors and nurses from many countries but there are strict training requirements that mean anyone coming in has to match our standards. This slows down recruitment of doctors.

But recruitment is ultimately a matter of money. We don't have enough hospitals for the demand and governments have been closing support mechanisms (like our cottage hospitals which take pressure off as they were for recovery, they were especially useful in reducing the elderly in hospitals) and even closed hospitals or reduced their coverage e.g. closed A&E, maternity, etc.

The GP's are also struggling with numbers. Some surgeries have far more patients per doctor than is recommended.

These issues have also been affected by immigration policy. Governments haven't kept pace with population numbers hence the strain has increased. It was a key Issue of Brexit, for instance. People come here because of our social care as it's seen as free with it being out of tax and anyone on benefits or not working gets the same back as anyone who pays their taxes.

The demand is so great it's a political football for the two major parties. It also has issues with inefficiency in it's finances like any public service.

You can obviously walk into any A&E though. Everything else you go through your GP for. And with mental health being underfunded, since the NHS was set up for physical health originally, getting anywhere near a psychiatrist is difficult and more for those with complex mental health problems and not anxiety.

GP's can be blockers due to this. They can be reluctant to refer. Luckily with mental health we now have the IAPT framework which allows for quick referral and self referral but these are only therapists and any psychiatry remains at a higher level. The NHS is split into separate independent bodies e.g..NHS England. NHS Scotland, etc and IAPT was never introduced by NHS Scotland so they are stuck in the old system with referrals to psychiatry level only which can take ages to access with anxiety being a lower priority.

It's great if you aren't well off as you get the same care as anyone rich. But anyone with lots of money will go private to avoid it's downsides. . We have health insurance but other than it being a work contractual perk, again for those who earn a lot, it's outside what most can afford. Even then private services are limited by the very nature so few access them.

Due to all this referrals can take time. Doctors have fast track lanes for more serious things but the standard lane can take a while. Electives can take ages and get frequently bumped as priority work increases.

The GP acts as a filter. They treat what they can and refer when they need to. Otherwise they may get unnecessarily side stepped in favour of a specialist.

Another problem is the elderly are living longer and there isn't enough taxation to cover it properly.

NancyW
27-12-18, 01:29
Thank you Terry! So interesting!
Not sure there is a perfect healthcare, maybe somewhere between ours and yours.

The waiting would kill me, if I gotta go, I gotta go. We have virtually any and all drs and hospitals at our disposal... but... we pay for it.

I had a broken arm a few years ago, slip on the ice. Total cost $42,000
I paid $2,500 out of pocket. My insurance paid the rest.

Double_Rainbow
27-12-18, 23:48

The waiting would kill me, if I gotta go, I gotta go. We have virtually any and all drs and hospitals at our disposal... but... we pay for it.

As long as you have good insurance, the system in the US is better. But if you are uninsured, or have sky high co-pays or deductibles, then the system in England is better. You may need to wait longer but at least you won't be filing bancrupcy because of a medical emergency.

Back to the OP situation, I didn't know that she visited multiple clinics with it. Eh, nothing I can say then. From personal experience I know that if multiple disease related reassurance from Healthcare professionals don't work, it may be time for medication and therapy.

nomorepanic
28-12-18, 00:41
Helen has started a new thread about something else so I urge members to just move on and stop replying if it frustrates them.

MyNameIsTerry
28-12-18, 03:46

That sounds crazy to us. The trouble is we tend to look at things in isolation and forget there are big differences between our countries. Some areas of our economy disadvantage us over yours from what I've seen discussed around why Americans have more available money to invest into health care than we do.

I can certainly appreciate insurance though as we have to have it for our pets and it's a small industry with few players so it can be very expensive. We are with a company that doesn't factor is past claims into future premiums but others do and have upped them 8x and more in future years pricing people out and poor pets get put down :weep: Now our dog is over 10 we have to pay the normal excess plus 20% of he claim but his reventv eye ulcer would have cost us over 4k without this.

Australia have an interesting system that charges less. As do Germany who have a trust based fund system. They seem good alternatives.

I think you're right though, no system is ever perfect and there are always some poor people who suffer whether due to finances or some other factor. Our NHS is a massive drain that we can never fully prop up and we do see media reports about treatments the NHS won't pay for which include lifesaving ones. Crowd funding is helpful in raising money to cover some gaps. I've seen cases where the NHS do the most critical treatment for such as a child but then refuse another that would improve their quality of life..yet here we all are getting our antibiotics daily fir our colds :shrug:

helenhoo
25-06-19, 10:52
My left foot has foot fungus for two years in the toenails. I noticed a brown mark, clipped off and wasn't on otherdide of nail nor on the skin beneath?

nomorepanic
25-06-19, 11:20
Not sure what you are asking :shrug:

Elen
25-06-19, 12:08
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Pretty sure that you will find all the answers here

helenhoo
25-06-19, 18:26
If it was melanoma would it be under skin?

Elen
25-06-19, 20:06
have you read the previous replies?

Phuzella
25-06-19, 21:08
Treat the toenail fungus with either chemical stuff from the chemist or tea tree oil in water. I said that way back in this thread lol. It took about a year to get rid of mine with tea tree but I prefer it to chemicals. Get rid of the pesky fungus ! :yesyes: