PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty swallowing after pills - panic

LilyLabVA
26-06-19, 21:01
So my CBT techniques and therapy held me through the first 3 days but now panic is creeping in. I don’t usually get any heart burn, ingestion, etc. so this is all new to me. Is there reason to run to doctors or worry about a life threatening illness here?
Sunday- swallowed 3-5 pills together (daily meds and vitamins) with a swig of coffee per usual. Though my liquid intake was not enough bc I felt like the meds were sitting in a lump at the bottom of my throat.
Sunday- lump, tight throat feeling persisted despite water and regular meals
Monday- took one bite of garlic bread and it would barley go down without pain. Continued to eat slowly a spaghetti dinner with little pain.
Tuesday- vague feeling of tightness at bottom of neck where throat meets esophagus
Wednesday- same vague feeling plus fear that I won’t be able to swallow and it’s something deadly.
36 female. No gerd, reflux, don’t drink or smoke. Very scared I’m gonna need a scope get bad news and ruin my family beach trip in 2 weeks.
Please help me sort through this.

LilyLabVA
26-06-19, 21:45
I have also been burping a lot. Or possibly noticing burps that before never crossed my mind. Either way, I’m burping multiple times per day.

Fishmanpa
26-06-19, 22:14
I take it you're concerned a pill got stuck somehow. No way... it would dissolve within an hour. I have a 'pocket' in the back of my throat from cancer surgery. Occasionally, one of my meds get caught up in it. I can taste the bitterness. A good drink resolves it. I'm thinking globus and reflux due to anxiety and diet here.

Positive thoughts

LilyLabVA
26-06-19, 22:42
Hi fishmanpa- no not worried a pill is stuck. Gone straight past that to throat or esophagus cancer, sadly. I included the pill incident as the onset to symptoms.

Fishmanpa
26-06-19, 23:00
Hi fishmanpa- no not worried a pill is stuck. Gone straight past that to throat or esophagus cancer, sadly.

Well that's even more irrational and I'm sure you realize that :lac:

Positive thoughts

ErinKC
27-06-19, 01:01
The pills irritated your throat going down, you became super aware of it and probably cleared your throat or coughed more than usual, even if you didn't notice, and that led to reflux.

MyNameIsTerry
27-06-19, 01:34
Pills often touch the back of the throat or scratch so it leaves an irritated sensation. The additional problem is our focus on it.

Swallow things that may help soothe it e.g. milky/creamy things like yoghurt.