PDA

View Full Version : HELP with a question for school :(

eeyorelover
17-09-07, 14:43
Ok I have been trying to find a simple answer to this and still can't figure it out!!!
It's driving me crazy!!!
So I thought maybe some of you brainy friends of mine might have an idea :)

Here is the question...

If you have black socks and brown socks in your drawer, mixed in a ratio of 4 to 5, how many socks will you have to take out in order to have a pair of the same color?????

HELP!!!!:shrug::shrug::shrug:
xxx
Sandy

EebyJeeby
17-09-07, 15:09
Hi Sandy!

I'm guessing maximum of 3 on the basis that if the first 2 you take out are different, then the next one must match one or the other. Poorly worded question though - I could have misinterpreted it as my answer would work with any ratio. It's also not clear if the matching pair they're after should be in your hand or left in the drawer.

I'd complain about the ambiguous question if I were you!

Eeb x

mirry
17-09-07, 15:09
gosh , as a quick guess,...... 3 ???

by the way I was crap at maths at school , and still am.

mirry
17-09-07, 15:10
oh wow ebby , we posted at the same time and came up with the same answer ,lol.

mirry
17-09-07, 15:11
maybe i have a brain after all ?

honeybee3939
17-09-07, 15:44
Ohh Sandy

Thats certainly given me a headache !!:blush:

I have this problem with socks, but i cant ever work it out either..lol.i would just throw them all away and buy some more !!!:winks:

Sorry i wasnt much help !:ohmy:

Andrea
xxxxx

JulieAs45
17-09-07, 15:49
I've asked my son as he is brainy! His answer is 3 also :yesyes: My answer is only ever buy black socks then you don't have to worry :wacko:

Take care
Julie
:flowers:

eeyorelover
17-09-07, 20:06
Well we had 5 questions and this was the one that stumped me!!!

The other one I so far haven't figured out is ..
You have an 11 minute timer and a 7 minute timer and have to use then to cook something for 15 minutes!!!

I've say forget it and go out for pizza but guess that is just me!!
haha

I thought the same thing. 3 - cuz if you take out 3 you'd have to have 2 of one color or the other.

I hate this class!!!
LOL
xxx
Sandy

julieb
17-09-07, 20:25
I would say 3 working on the system that you take one out say brown, another if brown you have a pair.If not then black so you have one of each. therefore whatever colour you take out next has to make a pair?

Hope that makes sense? I'm a senior teaching assistant in a special needs school but the staff often say its us that have the special needs not the kids!!!! lol

Ju x

Panic1971
17-09-07, 20:43
The timer one - put both timers on at the same time. Once the first one has finished (the 7 minute one) - put your thing in to cook (this will cook it for the remaining 4 minutes left on the 11 minute one - then once that has finished - start the 11 minute one again. This will mean it cooks for 15 minutes. Impressed???

3 is the correct answer for the sock one.

nomorepanic
17-09-07, 22:02
Sandy

Do we get a prize??? :winks: :shades:

mirry
18-09-07, 07:57
lol , yes I have never got a complicated maths question correct before ,
what have I won ? lol.

SAMKIRMAN
18-09-07, 08:36
the timer one you basically have to set 11 minute one twice and the seven one once
22 -7 = 15
you set the 11 minute timer and the seven minute timer when the seven minute timer goes off you put food in to cook when the 11 min one goes off first time you reset it then when the 11 timer goes off the second time food is cooked

eeyorelover
19-09-07, 04:05
Nope sorry no prize cept my undying admiration for you people who can figure these things out - LOL
xxx
Sandy

mirry
19-09-07, 07:42
sany this is a great post , so many times I sit struggling trying to help my kids with home work , now I know where to come !