PDA

View Full Version : Son's hiccups- googled and scared

LilyLabVA
28-06-19, 20:26
I have a 10 year old son. He came to my room last night and said "Mom, I keep on getting hiccups! I had them yesterday morning, last night, this mornng and NOW!" I did hear him have them yesterday as well as last night when he told me. I thought zero about it jokingly said "BOO" to scare the hiccups out of him (old wives tale in case your not familiar) While trying to sleep it occured to me that this could be due to all the swimming he has been doing lately so I google "hiccups and swimming" not much came up but when I continued into frequent hiccups I scared myself to death! Lets just say different medical sites said hiccups are normal unless they occure fro 48 hours or for over a month in which case it would be this, that, this, that and of course the scariest thing of all, a BT. UGH Coundnt seleep last night!
No hiccups all day today, but I'm like waiting in fear for them to start. 48 hours does this mean continuous or off and on like he has had? This is really freaking me out and I have NOT allowed him to know. Everyone I mention it to says just either thats so dumb/crazy or keep an eye on it. Keeping an eye on it makes me obsessive. Like I said, no hiccups since 9pm last night and its now 3:30pm in afternoon.
Any advice to calm me down? UGH!

Fishmanpa
28-06-19, 20:47
Any advice to calm me down? UGH!

Stay away from Google!

Positive thoughts

LilyLabVA
28-06-19, 21:03
Yes, that was my first mistake. Cant undo it now though..... :(

always scared
28-06-19, 22:48
I think they mean 48hrs of continuous hiccups . I think he's fine. Try not to worry :) I know it's hard not to worry about our children.

Midnight-mouse
28-06-19, 22:54
I’m pretty sure it’s continuing hiccups, think more like can’t sleep or eat because they are interrupting everything.

I am one of these people that once I start I know they will be driving me mad for days, multiple times. I’ve always been that way and it sounds like the little lad is the same way, it’s not dangerous but it can be bloody annoying!

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyNameIsTerry
29-06-19, 01:43
I think they mean 48hrs of continuous hiccups . I think he's fine. Try not to worry :) I know it's hard not to worry about our children.

I’m pretty sure it’s continuing hiccups, think more like can’t sleep or eat because they are interrupting everything.

I am one of these people that once I start I know they will be driving me mad for days, multiple times. I’ve always been that way and it sounds like the little lad is the same way, it’s not dangerous but it can be bloody annoying!

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. My dad has days of it and it was non stop. He could barely sleep with it.

However, despite the scary stuff you have most likely read his was just dyspepsia and a med has sorted out ever since.

Liddy1993
29-06-19, 13:37
From what I know it has to be continuous hiccups not hiccups that come and go. I get and always have gotten a random bout of hiccups every few days or so and I’ve never had any problems. Stay off google.

itiswhatitis
29-06-19, 22:28
My grandpa apparently had continuous hiccups for many days once and he was (and still is) ok.

CanadianLady
30-06-19, 19:23
I just thought my 8 year old had melanoma due to a red bump on her arm. It took a month and 3 doctors to finally diagnose it as a wart. My advice is to stay off Google, and try to hide what you are thinking from others. The hiccups are most likely due to the swimming. Now when I hug my daughter, she feels warm, and I think it is a fever and leukemia. Then, I tell myself that she is hot because she was running around and it is summer. I know exactly what you are going through, though. My mind works the same as yours - I could have written your post! One of the doctors who saw my daughter told me I needed CBT. I probably do.