PDA

View Full Version : Did my mum just have a seizure?

Toby2000
05-07-19, 06:29
I’m typing this on my phone so I’m a sorry for any typos etc

My mum just got up, went outside for a cigarette, sat down, smoked it and I saw through the french doors as she was getting up she was shaking as if she was having a seizure and like jerking around and tremoring slightly

Of course I was freaking out and screaming that we need to call an ambulance, then she went over to the table and picked up her cup and I don’t know if it was just me overthinking it but I could’ve sworn her hand shook a bit

She said she seemed like that because she was looking up at birds that were fighting directly above as she was getting up (there were birds) I’m just terrified she has a brain tumour or something causing tremors and seizures

I could be overreacting but it just seemed ikea her body was involuntarily moving as she stood up

I asked her to show me her hands to see if they were shaking and they werent and everything was normal after those 30 seconds but I’m so terrified

Im also angry at her because she’s denying that anything ever happened and also it’s selfish but this is just another damn thing for me me to worry about

She is 51

Elen
05-07-19, 08:14
I could be overreacting
Im also angry at her because she’s denying that anything ever happened and also it’s selfish but this is just another damn thing for me me to worry about

She is 51

Toby you are totally overthinking it and please do not come back at me with a BUT.

She is not being selfish, she is a grown woman who realises that you totally over react to things.

This is your HA kicking off in yet another direction.

Did you speak to your doctor about how badly your mental health is impacting on your every day life and your family's life.

It would be great if she could find you some appropriate treatment, sooner rather than having to go through the process of queuing.

Please try very hard not to allow this thread to turn in a re-assurance seeking post.

I am not trying to be harsh here as I have every sympathy with you but us feeding your fears is not helpful.

BlueIris
05-07-19, 08:36
Agreeing with Elen here; I think your hypervigilance is an issue right now, and I think you need to realise you can't trust your instincts for the moment.

nomorepanic
05-07-19, 11:55
Why not start on the HA workbooks on here and do some self-help?

MyNameIsTerry
05-07-19, 14:32

But what actually happened? Someone older got up and had some shaking muscles for a very brief amount of time? Don't you think if she had a seizure she would be distressed by it? So perhaps she just had some muscle weakness?

You aren't objective about such things. She is. What would rushing for an ambulance achieve in such a situation other than an expensive drain on a much needed resource?

Toby2000
05-07-19, 21:10
Toby you are totally overthinking it and please do not come back at me with a BUT.

She is not being selfish, she is a grown woman who realises that you totally over react to things.

This is your HA kicking off in yet another direction.

Did you speak to your doctor about how badly your mental health is impacting on your every day life and your family's life.

It would be great if she could find you some appropriate treatment, sooner rather than having to go through the process of queuing.

Please try very hard not to allow this thread to turn in a re-assurance seeking post.

I am not trying to be harsh here as I have every sympathy with you but us feeding your fears is not helpful.

I know I probably am, and here's the but (I'm sorry), it really looked like she had a short seizure

I know it's HA, I've been worrying about my bowels, shoulder sensations, spots on my neck, spots on my chest, my mum's bowels and now this

But it just looked so real? She explained that she was looking at magpies directly above and reenacted what happened while she was standing up to reassure me and it did a little but it looked REALLY scary.

It was like she was doing some sort of subtle robot dance while standing up

There's nothing more I can do for myself other than come on here and beg for advice because I'm so set on thinking she had a seizure. Therapy is still pending. Besides helping my anxiety won't change what happened which is the problem and as always I'm the only one concerned :(

Toby2000
05-07-19, 21:11
Agreeing with Elen here; I think your hypervigilance is an issue right now, and I think you need to realise you can't trust your instincts for the moment.

Maybe, I wasn't even worried when it happened though it just looked REALLY odd

Toby2000
05-07-19, 21:11
Why not start on the HA workbooks on here and do some self-help?

I don't know is it worth it? My mum potentially had a seizure it feels a bit far past irrational worries :(

pulisa
05-07-19, 21:15
Advice has been given, Toby. You must try not to beg for unnecessary reassurance.

Toby2000
05-07-19, 21:20
But what actually happened? Someone older got up and had some shaking muscles for a very brief amount of time? Don't you think if she had a seizure she would be distressed by it? So perhaps she just had some muscle weakness?

You aren't objective about such things. She is. What would rushing for an ambulance achieve in such a situation other than an expensive drain on a much needed resource?

It was more like she was doing some sort of, as I said above, subtle robot dance while she was getting up

If she was looking up above the umbrella to see the magpies directly above which is close to the doorstep she was perched on and was maneuvering or whatever to track their movements that would explain it but it looked so strange and concerning to me, she was moving in random directions and it looked like her body was twitching slightly when she came in- I may be overthinking the last bit but it looked very strange

You're right about her not being concerned, she wasn't at all concerned but what if she was just hiding it so I didn't worry? I do think my mum is so dumb when it comes to her health, she doesn't like wasting doctor's time but she had a daughter who had stage 4 cancer, I would think she'd find these things more concerning but she really isn't phased by it. If you have a seizure then you'd be distressed by it as you say but what if she just brushed it off as "one of those things"

That isn't normal and it's reasonable to worry about even when you have HA

I just feel so doomed. If it's not me having bowel cancer then she could have bowel cancer (diarrhea) or a brain tumor (a potential seizure) or bowel cancer metastasized to her brain? My worry complex feels very multi-layered and inescapable right now

Toby2000
05-07-19, 21:23
I hope if it has to be anything serious it's something like multiple sclerosis rather than a brain tumor, the former of which isn't fun but is obviously preferable over a brain tumor which is the worst case scenario :(

BlueIris
05-07-19, 21:31
Your mother is a grown woman and knows how to take care of herself. Have a little faith in her to know what's happening with her own body.

Toby2000
05-07-19, 22:21
Your mother is a grown woman and knows how to take care of herself. Have a little faith in her to know what's happening with her own body.

I would like to think she does but I'm doubting it

BlueIris
05-07-19, 22:30
Okay, next question: why do you (with a track record of catastrophising) know better than your mother does? What makes you the expert?

nomorepanic
05-07-19, 22:54
Toby you are doing it again and catastrophizing

You never answered my comment about starting the HA workbooks

nomorepanic
05-07-19, 22:56
I don't know is it worth it? My mum potentially had a seizure it feels a bit far past irrational worries :(

Toby you are doing it again and catastrophizing

You are being silly now to be honest and it needs to stop.

Sort yourself out for goodness sake and do the workbooks then you wouldn't be like this.

MyNameIsTerry
06-07-19, 02:28

What have you got to lose. I have you links to them and more over a year ago.

You are about to start therapy where there could be homework. If you don't do it, you don't get better. Take it from someone who often do the homework like many anxiety sufferers...Until you find the point you start fighting back, a rut is where you are. Therapy is hard work, it's the opposite of what anxiety wants us to do in people who are struggling to commit to doing anything on a regular basis. Try building up now with the workbooks and the therapy won't have as many brick walls.

MyNameIsTerry
06-07-19, 02:33
It was more like she was doing some sort of, as I said above, subtle robot dance while she was getting up

If she was looking up above the umbrella to see the magpies directly above which is close to the doorstep she was perched on and was maneuvering or whatever to track their movements that would explain it but it looked so strange and concerning to me, she was moving in random directions and it looked like her body was twitching slightly when she came in- I may be overthinking the last bit but it looked very strange

You're right about her not being concerned, she wasn't at all concerned but what if she was just hiding it so I didn't worry? I do think my mum is so dumb when it comes to her health, she doesn't like wasting doctor's time but she had a daughter who had stage 4 cancer, I would think she'd find these things more concerning but she really isn't phased by it. If you have a seizure then you'd be distressed by it as you say but what if she just brushed it off as "one of those things"

That isn't normal and it's reasonable to worry about even when you have HA

I just feel so doomed. If it's not me having bowel cancer then she could have bowel cancer (diarrhea) or a brain tumor (a potential seizure) or bowel cancer metastasized to her brain? My worry complex feels very multi-layered and inescapable right now

My GF suffers from a disorder from childhood that causes minor seizures in a certain circumstance. She is well aware of it and it is frightening even after decades of putting up with it. I doubt your mother would not be concerned by it. However, she wouldn't be the other end of the scale (like you) either. Her reaction might be to book in to talk to he GP about something strange that happened whereas your reaction was to ring an ambulance.

A work colleague once had a seizure and collapsed in a supermarket. He was off in an ambulance. He was well aware of it as was everyone else around him. Nothing wrong with him, it was a stress reaction and he doesn't suffer from anxiety. It never happened again. Anyone can have harmless seizures anyway for a variety of well recorded reasons but people, especially on here, will rush to the worst cases.

Why is it binary? Putting it down or amping it up. Life is about balance.

Why can't it be a matter of her being in her fifties, a smoker, maybe not the best of physical health and the impacts of that onto things like daily aches & pains that resulted in her being stiff as a board when she got up? That's just part of aging.

Elen
06-07-19, 17:59
Toby we are back to reassuring replies. You are not in a position to rationalise things. Go look at any of the links that have been provided to you and start helping yourself

Toby2000
20-07-19, 05:51
Sorry I forgot to check this thread after I stopped worrying a couple of weeks back- I’ve read all of the replies

Now I’m worried because I just saw my mum go out for a cigarette again and her hands started shaking slightly

I know you probably think I’m seeing things but it really looked like her hands were shaking slightly as she was picking her nails or something as she was sat outside smoking

What do I do? I feel like right now I have a big long list of problems

BlueIris
20-07-19, 06:05
You don't need to do anything, if slightly shaky hands in the morning were a big thing, we'd all be doomed.

Your only problem is your faulty thinking patterns and your stubborn refusal to help yourself.

Carys
20-07-19, 09:50
Nothing, you do NOTHING.

You are not responsible for your mother, and she can make her own decisions about her health problems or LACK of them. Toby, as a woman of the same age as your mother, I have assorted things that have changed in my body, none of them are sinister and they are just part of being older. Your mother isn't concerned. Let it go and stop watching her and projecting your own hyper vigilance about health matters onto her.

Toby2000
21-07-19, 21:41
I know it's problematic but I just can't stop worrying about her and she has an endless list of problems in my eyes.. diarrhea (if she still has it), shaky hands that look twitchy in the mornings/possible seizures, a cough from smoking although I'm not worrying about that right now.

I just care about her so much, her well being is so important to me

Coming on here to complain about it won't really help I guess, no one can wave a magic wand and fix me or her. I'm just feeling so down right now and I'm going on holiday Tuesday morning, I'm really dreading worrying about both her and myself