PDA

View Full Version : Breathlessness, wheezing, cough

Wezzo
05-07-19, 11:00
Background: I'm 28, obese but physically active, I have asthma and bad allergies.

My asthma was previously well-controlled, but a few months ago I started feeling like I couldn't breathe in quite as deeply as I wanted to. It felt like I was gasping for breath a bit. I had a slight wheeze too. Since then, I've also had a cough that comes and goes - sometimes a bit wheezy-sounding, sometimes a bit mucus-y - occasionally a hoarse voice too, and a wheeze that's sometimes not there and sometimes fairly prominent.

I've had a couple of doctors appointments, in which they've shifted my asthma/allergy meds around a little, but nothing seems to have made a real difference. The latest appointment, they prescribed me a new nasal spray, as they believed that mouth-breathing could be causing me to inhale more pollen/allergens, and a nasal spray would help me breathe through my nose better. No real change yet, though.

It's usually worse when exercising, which has me fearful it could be something major, like heart failure.

I had a general anaesthetic last October for a urethral stricture op, which I recovered from super quickly with no complications, and a 24-hour ECG three years ago for random heart pains, which didn't reveal any concerns.

I guess I'm looking to hear whether anyone else find difficult-to-control asthma/allergies can cause such consistent problems? Or should I be pushing for more tests?

ankietyjoe
05-07-19, 11:12
Sounds like a reaction to reflux, in combination with your other conditions.

Wezzo
05-07-19, 11:36
Sounds like a reaction to reflux, in combination with your other conditions.

That is something that's crossed my mind - acid reflux and/or post-nasal drip working in tandem with asthma and allergies in a conspiracy to ruin my life. :) I have tried some basic OTC antacids but perhaps I should try something a little stronger.

ankietyjoe
05-07-19, 12:29
Not a massive fan of antacids personally.

I use Apple Cider Vinegar twice a day, which pretty much negates any reflux over time. And of course, watch what you eat. Find out what triggers your reflux, and don't eat that.

If my reflux flares up I have the same thing, heavy chest, wheezing, can't catch my breath, coughing...and if it's really bad I'll get a hoarse voice too.