PDA

View Full Version : Had my first CBT session today

Panic1971
17-09-07, 20:51
Well I had my first Beating the Blues CBT session today.

It is a computerised therapy 8 week course. It involved a load of questions on how I have been feeling for the last week and then some background information on anxiety and depression (stuff we already know really). I had to come up with 3 problems that I currently have and then I have homework to do all week to monitor my problems, how I am feeling, what I am doing etc.

I also have to do 1 pleasureable activity.

I came out of the session feeling really positive.:yesyes:

Keep your fingers crossed for me that it works.

AngieJ
17-09-07, 21:23
Well done....lets hope it does the trick for you :D

xxx

nomorepanic
17-09-07, 22:04
Great news - post here each week so you can keep a blog going on.

Good luck!

Panic1971
18-09-07, 06:52
Thanks Nicola and Angie:hugs:

I will post here each week - if thats okay. Just hope it works :yesyes:

Take care

manmoor
18-09-07, 08:25
Well done Ann and good on ya for staying positive hun thats the spirit. xxx

honeybee3939
18-09-07, 20:27
Hi Anne

Great to hear the CBT went well:yesyes: :yesyes: and lovely to hear you are feeling so positive !!:yesyes: keep up the good work hun !:)

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

Panic1971
24-09-07, 21:20
I had my second CBT today. I had to review how I was last week - which was about the same as normal (very anxious/panicky).

Today I looked at my automatic thoughts and how thoughts affect my feelings. I have to record my negative thoughts this week when I am feeling anxious and then record the situation, and how much I believe each thought. in a percentage - then note my feelings.

I also have to complete an activity schedule which is like a diary for every hour of the day. I have to note what I did in that hour and rate my anxiety out of ten. I can then hopefully see some sort of pattern.

I also have to perform a pleasureable activity again.

Fingers crossed x

honeybee3939
24-09-07, 21:26
Hi Anne

Glad your session went well, i remember when i started CBT having to do home-work wasnt my strongest point, but do stick with it as it does help and its always good to look back on things, especially progress.:)

Keep us posted on your next session too.

Love
Andrea
xxxx

nomorepanic
24-09-07, 22:05
Glad it went well

Keep at it and keep doing the homework as there is a reason for it.

Great news.

mat74
25-09-07, 13:24
Does CBT work? I have read about it and want to discuss this with my GP as I feel it may be useful for me. Anyone know how long a waiting list on the NHS is for this sort of therapy or if you can pay for private sessions?

Mat x

thedood
25-09-07, 13:57
I waited about 6 months the first time round. I had actually moved flat by the time the appointment arrived and the letter was eventually forwarded to me. When I called to say I still wanted the appointment she said I could no longer attend as I was living in a different catchment area.

So I got my new doctor to put me on the list again. Fortunately it was only a couple of months before I was able to attend sessions with a therapist who practised at my actual GP clinic.

Waiting lists vary depending on where you live. I know there is a longer wait in most North London catchment areas, South London is less of a wait. Out of London might be better still...

Panic1971
25-09-07, 14:17
Mat - I waited for about 6 months for this. You can buy it online - but would be very expensive I think. The CBT I am doing is called Beating the Blues and I do it on the computer at my doctors surgery with a therapist there if I need her.

Ask your GP as my therapist said they are doing it nationwide. It is designed to help with both anxiety and depression. There is a bit of homework to do - like keeping a record of what you do, how you feel, your automatic thoughts etc - but if you put the work in - it can only help in the long run.

Hope you dont have to wait too long for it.

Let us know how you get on.

saintdee
30-09-07, 22:06
hiya,

where did you get this course from please?

Panic1971
01-10-07, 07:02
Hi Saintdee

It was offered at my doctors surgery. My therapist works at the surgery and I had heard about it - and asked if I could do the Beating the Blues CBT. I have my third session today.

She has said that it is available at most surgeries now.

Panic1971
02-10-07, 07:41
Hi everyone

I had my 3rd CBT yesterday. This time we looked at distraction techniques. I have to focus a lot more on my breathing for 3 or 4 minutes at a time to try and calm myself down.

We also looked at common thinking errors.

My homework this week - is planning my week ahead. I need to slot in things that I enjoy and prioritise jobs in order of importance so I am not so bogged down with everything.

I also have to catch my thinking errors and count how many of each of them I have on a daily basis.

It is quite a lot of work - but is worth it.

I felt so anxious before my appointment as I had to wait for over half an hour in the waiting room. When I came out all the anxiety/panicky feelings had gone.

Wish me luck for this week.

honeybee3939
02-10-07, 09:38
Hi Anne

GOOD LUCK for this week hun!:) All that hard work will soon be showing its benefits, so stick at it hun !:)

Love
Andrea
xxxx

pips
02-10-07, 11:58
Well Done your doing Really Great.

Good Luck,

Take Care,

Love Pip's X X

lildutt
04-10-07, 11:28