PDA

View Full Version : Political correctness

phil06
08-07-19, 21:09
Lately I have feel feeling anxious about how political correct we are in society these days? :blush: I dislike how every occasion is forced down your neck on social media?

jojo2316
08-07-19, 22:05
Elaborate? Like what?

phil06
08-07-19, 22:14
Elaborate? Like what?

Everyone to politics to marriage or freedom of speech.

jojo2316
09-07-19, 08:51
I’m not sure what I feel about all this. I have some sympathy with both sides. At the extreme end, political correctness becomes a sort of Orwellian thought police..... you cannot even harbour the wrong THOUGHTS about someone’s chosen gender, say. It is very oppressive, anti libertarian and rather sinister. But at the other end of the scale, I think it is important to be kind and tolerant of people’s life choices (so long as they do no harm to others). And that is especially true if the people in question are vulnerable or have a history of oppression. It is a difficult path to tread and has caused great divisions

ankietyjoe
09-07-19, 13:27
Nature balances itself out though. There has also been an exponential rise and acceptance of racist a55holes.

BlueIris
09-07-19, 14:34
I heard a lovely phrase the other day:

"It's not political correctness, it's militant politeness."

Why not avoid hurting people's feelings if you're capable of doing so?"

ankietyjoe
09-07-19, 14:57
Only it doesn't! Two or two million wrongs won't make a right.

I might have been facestious

phil06
09-07-19, 16:00
I often read the actors say they couldn’t make a Little Britain or American pie movie in today’s climate. I read a film magazine which said just that in today’s political correctness we can’t have these movies. Makes me feel sad.

I feel sad in general about a lot of stuff for example Concorde is no longer in service and we go across the Atlantic slower. Also we have never been back to the moon.

Sure we have great technology these days but I feel everything is restrained or technology gets held back. I find this very sad

phil06
09-07-19, 16:03
For me I find it fantastic we can talk so openly about mental health these days I find this a positive and progress. Perhaps going though it means I can relate to others more.

BlueIris
09-07-19, 17:20

Why not avoid hurting people's feelings if you're capable of doing so?

Also, Little Britain contained grossly offensive portrayals of disabled people and working class teenage girls. I wasn't comfortable with it at the time, given that it was made by a couple of posh white blokes, and I love that today there's room for comedy that punches upward rather than downward. The alternative is just bullying.

jojo2316
09-07-19, 21:14

Why not avoid hurting people's feelings if you're capable of doing so?"

I love this - and its also how I choose to interpret political correctness. On the whole.
But I do think sometimes there is more to it than that. I think sometimes the hard-core politically correct turn indignation into a sport and that’s just...... annoying (although presumably the righteous indignant gain some pleasure from it).

An example. My husband’s cousin is a college student at a very left-wing right-on university in America. Her room mate identifies as gender neutral. The thing is, “they” (they’s chosen pronoun) is both genetically female and dresses female (makeup, dresses bla bla bla). So people are constantly calling they “she”, which causes great and enthusiastic offence and indignation. Official complaints get made etc.
I can’t help but feel that, while it’s perhaps fun be so cross and righteous, it damages the overall culture of tolerance (which is SO important). It pushes people the other way.

BlueIris
09-07-19, 21:51
I can definitely see what you're getting at, JoJo, and it's a tough balance to strike.

I do have my worries sometimes, but the absence of a Little Britain movie isn't one of them.

jojo2316
09-07-19, 22:04
I can definitely see what you're getting at, JoJo, and it's a tough balance to strike.

I do have my worries sometimes, but the absence of a Little Britain movie isn't one of them.

Such a hard balance to strike.... generally speaking; be kind, be polite and don’t take yourself tooooo seriously are pretty good rules of thumb.
There just seems to be so much anger about. Remain v Brexit; PC v PC-Gone-Mad; extreme Left v extreme Right. It’s so EXHAUSTING, don’t you think? (I still think Brexit is a bad idea, mind!!)

BlueIris
09-07-19, 22:12
Exactly, yes, there's too much hating going on.

Fishmanpa
10-07-19, 00:21
There's being blunt and being PC. There are some that can be both and say FU and do it in a PC way but the vast majority of people cannot. Put the internet onto the equation and the skews heavily toward the 'not'. Frustration has a lot to do with it and its not unlike most internet forums. Like here, there's tea and sympathy and as I'm often accused of "too blunt". It is what it is and its not changing anytime soon. In fact, it will escalate IMO. I recall the protests when I was young. Sometimes millions would gather to protest. Nowadays, you get your rocks off posting a tweet from the comfort of your easy chair. Anonymity plays a big part too. It's far too easy to hide behind a screen name. I suggest you get used to it or just disconnect. You can't react to what you can't read or see.

Positive thoughts

jojo2316
10-07-19, 07:06
There's being blunt and being PC. There are some that can be both and say FU and do it in a PC way but the vast majority of people cannot. Put the internet onto the equation and the skews heavily toward the 'not'. Frustration has a lot to do with it and its not unlike most internet forums. Like here, there's tea and sympathy and as I'm often accused of "too blunt". It is what it is and its not changing anytime soon. In fact, it will escalate IMO. I recall the protests when I was young. Sometimes millions would gather to protest. Nowadays, you get your rocks off posting a tweet from the comfort of your easy chair. Anonymity plays a big part too. It's far too easy to hide behind a screen name. I suggest you get used to it or just disconnect. You can't react to what you can't read or see.

Positive thoughts
Are you often accused of being “too blunt” FMP? I’d say you are “pitch perfect “

pulisa
10-07-19, 08:20
Is anyone allowed to be "blunt" these days though? And isn't this the problem? "Blunt" isn't a negative thing in my opinion and i'd welcome anyone telling me to "get a grip" if I needed to.

ankietyjoe
10-07-19, 08:53
I think what a lot of people are missing here is that the disgusting Trump/Brexit fanatics have become used to calling any kind of empathy 'snowflake'.

There is a growing tendency for people to feel self righteous about their casual racism and disdain for anything that isn't white, because to oppose that view is somehow negating their freedom of speech.

People are being trained to hate, and embracing it. They feel that it somehow empowers them. The irony is stunning.

BlueIris
10-07-19, 08:59
Agreed, Joe. For anything that isn't white, straight, able bodied and preferably male, in fact. The gradual removal of women's rights in the US terrifies me.

ankietyjoe
10-07-19, 09:05
Agreed, Joe. For anything that isn't white, straight, able bodied and preferably male, in fact. The gradual removal of women's rights in the US terrifies me.

Don't even get me started on how America does things. This is a country that dresses 14 year old girls up as hookers and parades them on the Disney channel as aspirational figures.

BlueIris
10-07-19, 09:08
Did you hear about the woman who was shot in the stomach recently and is being prosecuted for the death of her own unborn child? You couldn't make it up.

The "political correctness gone mad" trope is just a more socially acceptable symptom of a general insularity and lack of empathy.

ankietyjoe
10-07-19, 09:19
Did you hear about the woman who was shot in the stomach recently and is being prosecuted for the death of her own unborn child? You couldn't make it up.

The "political correctness gone mad" trope is just a more socially acceptable symptom of a general insularity and lack of empathy.

I try not to look.....but I did hear about it.

And this is not to denegrate American people. I come into contact with people all over the world through my job as a lot of it is online. I have at least 20-30 American friends on Facebook that I'm in contact with regularly, and without exception they are all clued up, accepting individuals. There are redneck beer fanatics, plumbers, biochemists, students etc etc. A large cross section from all over the country. Not one of them supports the HUGE negative aspects of how America is portraying itself right now, so I really have no idea what is propping up the farcical circus that is Trumpmania.

BlueIris
10-07-19, 09:21
Agreed, yes, some of the nicest, most accepting people I know live in the States, and they're being betrayed.

FrankT
10-07-19, 11:58
There's no such thing as political correctness.

Fishmanpa
10-07-19, 13:40
I think what a lot of people are missing here is that the disgusting Trump/Brexit fanatics have become used to calling any kind of empathy 'snowflake'.

There is a growing tendency for people to feel self righteous about their casual racism and disdain for anything that isn't white, because to oppose that view is somehow negating their freedom of speech.

People are being trained to hate, and embracing it. They feel that it somehow empowers them. The irony is stunning.

Its happening big time here in the States. If you're a liberal, you're coined a snowflake and if you're a conservative, you're a racist. Things were mildly PC until Trump came into office but having a president that is the total opposite of PC has normalized it and encouraged the discord seen daily.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
10-07-19, 14:26

I have along with all the abortion law stuff. Certain US states are obviously using the current political atmosphere to try to bring about change to fit their beliefs. These states are the more religious ones. None of these laws mean much of anything with the exception they add up to having the ability to challenge the long established federal one about abortion. The way the US rigs it's court system by putting in their own judges means there is now a swing away from the brick wall they thought was there before and now they believe they have a chance to overturn the federal abortion law allowing them to attempt to being in their "pro heartbeat" laws.

I can only hope it all fails. It tells you a lot about those states. But even within them not everyone agrees and even though someone may vote for someone doesn't mean they support everything they do. Many times in our voting it's about picking these least of two evils, both bringing policies we think are nonsense.

Have you seen how women are treated in El Salvador? If you have a miscarriage you are on the end of highly religious Christian law making that may throw you in jail for decades if you can't prove you didn't do anything to endanger the baby. The funny thing is, in all cases it's women who take the full force of the law. Even in cases of rape the woman can end up in jail far longer for losing the baby, or aborting, than the guy who raped her! Even children, young girls, are sent to jail.

It's not just Christianity that does this though. Look at women's suffering under other religions.

MyNameIsTerry
10-07-19, 14:37
I often read the actors say they couldn’t make a Little Britain or American pie movie in today’s climate. I read a film magazine which said just that in today’s political correctness we can’t have these movies. Makes me feel sad.

I'm not sure David Walliams blacking up would be taken as well these days :ohmy: The funny thing is, in this current climate of finding something in someone's past to bring up to discredit or attack them some people seem immune.

As mentioned before, it's social media. What used to be a discussion in a pub or a person standing on a soapbox ranting until the police got there has now turned into a web of connected big mouths shouting their views across the net with the media looking for lazy ways to create a quick article because a few people on Twitter say something.

Just another good reason to avoid social media. It's a magnet for people who want to fight or rubberneck the drama. Is it new? Nope. It's often the same mentality of those who would turn up to watch a public execution. So many exist to jump on anything even if it's innocent and labelling people is the norm.

It's a downside of technology. However you have to be careful trying to reign it in too or you end up like China & Russia.

If you took social media to be representative of real life it would be a massive mistake. So few are willing to walk around being so abrasive for the very real reason real life brings consequences. For some reason people took the internet for being a place so free they could do & say what they wanted and stopped acting as they would in real life.

It's not even a left vs right thing either. Just look at those on the left tearing into each other. The same surely on the right between those more fair minded and those further down the far right spectrum. And there is the key word - spectrum.

MyNameIsTerry
10-07-19, 14:46
I love this - and its also how I choose to interpret political correctness. On the whole.
But I do think sometimes there is more to it than that. I think sometimes the hard-core politically correct turn indignation into a sport and that’s just...... annoying (although presumably the righteous indignant gain some pleasure from it).

An example. My husband’s cousin is a college student at a very left-wing right-on university in America. Her room mate identifies as gender neutral. The thing is, “they” (they’s chosen pronoun) is both genetically female and dresses female (makeup, dresses bla bla bla). So people are constantly calling they “she”, which causes great and enthusiastic offence and indignation. Official complaints get made etc.
I can’t help but feel that, while it’s perhaps fun be so cross and righteous, it damages the overall culture of tolerance (which is SO important). It pushes people the other way.

Perhaps something we forget, and perhaps in the heat of the moment or after ages of facing certain attitudes making it easier to generalise about someone making a potentially innocent mistake, is that life is very complicated and none of us get a manual about what to say. It's a flawed attitude that thinks we should just be xyz about everything and the proof against that is taking yourself out of your own culture and seeing how easily you can offend someone in a very different one.

So we all have to accept we have our ignorance and hypocrisies. I think this is where many of the more vocal go wrong. They expect rather than try to remember not everyone is equal. We learn from our surroundings and if you don't have much diversity you can be forgiven for being ignorant of issues outside of them. That doesn't mean you can act like an unpleasant ar5e though.

Pronouns are a good example of this. You can be forgiven not knowing until someone tells you. You can be forgiven an innocent mistake. Even outside of LGBT+ we make the occasional mistake calling someone he or she. But when you know it's also used as a way to denigrate it makes for you feeling guilty once you realise and others to question your true attitude.

If you don't keep up you can be forgiven not knowing the latest social changes.

ankietyjoe
10-07-19, 15:29
Its happening big time here in the States. If you're a liberal, you're coined a snowflake and if you're a conservative, you're a racist. Things were mildly PC until Trump came into office but having a president that is the total opposite of PC has normalized it and encouraged the discord seen daily.

Positive thoughts

I don't think it's polar around the middle axis though. These days you're portrayed as being a liberal for not wanting to snatch children from their parents or denying climate change or not wanting some drunken white trash loser to own an assualt rifle.

Being right wing (quite a lot) is now apparently being 'normal'.

jojo2316
10-07-19, 16:07
I don't think it's polar around the middle axis though. These days you're portrayed as being a liberal for not wanting to snatch children from their parents or denying climate change or not wanting some drunken white trash loser to own an assualt rifle.

Being right wing (quite a lot) is now apparently being 'normal'.

I think I am probably a “snowflake”, but I am also in my 40s now, and find it hard to keep up with all the rapid cultural developments. I think tolerance is important- crucial in fact. But I think tolerance needs to go both ways. I would never intentionally hurt someone’s feelings by referring to them with the wrong pronoun, but if I got it wrong because I am old and clumsy, I hope I would be treated with tolerance.
What I am saying is, from where I am sitting, it looks like fault is on both sides. And like oil and water, those sides are pushing each other further and further apart. It’s scary!

MyNameIsTerry
10-07-19, 16:30
I think I am probably a “snowflake”, but I am also in my 40s now, and find it hard to keep up with all the rapid cultural developments. I think tolerance is important- crucial in fact. But I think tolerance needs to go both ways. I would never intentionally hurt someone’s feelings by referring to them with the wrong pronoun, but if I got it wrong because I am old and clumsy, I hope I would be treated with tolerance.
What I am saying is, from where I am sitting, it looks like fault is on both sides. And like oil and water, those sides are pushing each other further and further apart. It’s scary!

Like in politics though, don't forget about the moderates. Aren't they going to view both sides, the fringes, and think "what a bunch of morons" and dismiss them? Whilst opposites are attacking each other both sides just put off those nearer the centre and at the end of the day...shopping, paying bills, watching TV, going down the pub, etc all rumble on and the world is largely forgotten.

Fishmanpa
10-07-19, 16:48
This was my Positive Thought for today... speaks volumes to the subject at hand.

"What we need to discover now in the social realm is the moral equivalent of war; something heroic that will speak to man as universally as war does, and yet will be as compatible with their spiritual selves as war has proved to be incompatible."

- William James (1842 - 1910)
American Philosopher and Psychologist

Positive thoughts

jojo2316
10-07-19, 16:49
Like in politics though, don't forget about the moderates. Aren't they going to view both sides, the fringes, and think "what a bunch of morons" and dismiss them? Whilst opposites are attacking each other both sides just put off those nearer the centre and at the end of the day...shopping, paying bills, watching TV, going down the pub, etc all rumble on and the world is largely forgotten.
Do you think “moderates” are just as prevalent as they always were? It feels to me we are becoming an endangered species!!

MyNameIsTerry
10-07-19, 16:59
Do you think “moderates” are just as prevalent as they always were? It feels to me we are becoming an endangered species!!

Perhaps we are just not seen? Social media is a massive boon to those who rant on soapboxes on either side of any issue.

I expect more are being drawn to the fringes, often just by feeling disenfranchised (it's Fight Club!) but I think most people are more bothered about who might jump into bed with who on Love Island than they are half of what we see in the media.

If you look at political voting how many people are true believers? How many are willing to join a party? I can't recall ever meeting someone who said they had. This is not to say they are all moderates but it's more likely the believers are going to join up I would have thought?

I think the media play a big role in this too. They are driving a narrative of everything being shite. They often base reporting on the worst case, just look at how hate crimes are skyrocketing (based on reporting) yet prosecutions aren't keeping pace. I accept this can be because of a lack of evidence or willingness (and money) to do so but also reporting has been pushed to make it more accessible and worthwhile. So, aren't we just seeing what was already there?

There is also a lot of nonsense about reporting too, no doubt as it can be manipulated. Certainly you will see one biased media outlet reporting a spike without reporting no spike in prosecutions to cover that period in the same way you will see another blame it all on immigrants or tell us xyz causes cancer without giving the conflicting information behind them.

P.S. I'm 43 so approaching auto enrolment into the Gammon club by some standards :ohmy:

ankietyjoe
11-07-19, 15:12
How far can an individual expect other folks to acknowledge he or she’s gender identity or any other aspect of their ‘preferred’ status? Or how far can society be expected to tolerate the demands of the individual?

Why does it matter?

Using language like 'how can society be expected to tolerate' implies that there is some kind of unbearable burden on people to try and understand the choices or instincts of others.

If somebody identifies as part way between male or female, how does it affect another person in any way?

BlueIris
11-07-19, 15:22
If somebody identifies as part way between male or female, how does it affect another person in any way?

Exactly. I can understand how people might forget, but what's the harm in referring to a person in the way they wish?

MyNameIsTerry
11-07-19, 17:06
The 6ft bearded male mentioned is one that needs more information. There are going to be piss takers, and they make it harder for LGBT+ people, and this was within the role of assessing benefits claimants.

However, religious people need to remember that laws trump ideology. If they believe their adherence to that higher code can't be sacrificed then they will need to accept they are the Christians and the law is the Romans.

Are the definitions clear enough? Are they distributed to everyone who needs them? Going back to my management days I would say no. Diversity training was fluffy stuff telling you to be open to others (which should go without saying) and focussed more on traditional gay roles and race. I hope such courses have greatly improved because it's hard to keep track of everything and most of us reading specific LGBT+ literature aren't going to be aware of it all. I would hate to ever upset someone by not using the correct terms but when under stress it can happen.

Going back to rules for a moment. Religion doesn't trump work rules either. Like the law they are inclusive of religion (to a point) but not when they infringe on others.

I doubt the doctor will get as much support by allowing the Christian Legal Centre into this as they back people who truly do discriminate. Remember the teacher who wouldn't use the correct pronoun...but he was also bullying with sly digs and waffling about things not even supported by the curriculum as well as trying to convert people.

ankietyjoe
11-07-19, 21:23
“A society is a group of individuals involved in persistent social interaction, or a large social group sharing the same geographical or social territory, typically subject to the same political authority and dominant cultural expectations.” My underlining but not my words; they are those of the Wikipedia definition (which is broadly in line with any other definition of the same word).

Then a broader set of definitions needs rethinking.

It was once expected that women shut their stupid fvcking mouths and did what they're told. In fact, it still is in some parts of the world. Luckily, things can change and people can become less judgemental and idiotic. Hopefully. Fingers crossed.

My ironic overtly judgmental reaction at judgemental people is not lost on me....

FrankT
11-07-19, 21:58
Interesting observation, Frank. Would you like to elaborate on what you mean?

Simple - the term is just a means to an end. Why should I sugarcoat my words to avoid offending someone who needs to be told something bluntly? If I have to tell it like it is, I have that right. So does everyone else.

BlueIris
12-07-19, 05:00
Simple - the term is just a means to an end. Why should I sugarcoat my words to avoid offending someone who needs to be told something bluntly? If I have to tell it like it is, I have that right. So does everyone else.

Yes, you have that right. That doesn't mean it's always necessary to exercise it. I don't think it's often strictly necessary to be blunt to the point of causing upset.

Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly capable of flat-out rudeness myself, but I try to be honest with myself about my own frustrations rather than kidding myself I'm doing it out of some sort of higher moral imperative.

MyNameIsTerry
12-07-19, 14:10

In 43 years, real life and online world, I am yet to find a single person who can "tell it as it is" who doesn't get all butthurt when you do it back to them.

Isn't life like this anyway? If your partner asks that question all men dread "does my bum look big in this" you are hardly going to reply "yes, because you are fat" are you? :shrug:

Of course you have the right to complete free speech but it comes with consequences. That may be arrest, a smack in the mouth or being told to F off. :biggrin: Imagine how horrible the world would be if we all blurted out everything that was in our heads?!!! :ohmy:

MyNameIsTerry
12-07-19, 14:18
“A society is a group of individuals involved in persistent social interaction, or a large social group sharing the same geographical or social territory, typically subject to the same political authority and dominant cultural expectations.” My underlining but not my words; they are those of the Wikipedia definition (which is broadly in line with any other definition of the same word).

But part of the hypocrisy is skirting around the elephant in the room with articles like this biased towards certain groups and the studies behind them trying not to expose themselves to backlash from other minority groups :whistles:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/jul/11/acceptance-gay-sex-decline-uk-first-time-since-aids-crisis

Fishmanpa
12-07-19, 19:15
Its funny.... The comment section of news sites is probably the most politically incorrect forums of all. Check out Fox news and the comments. Holy $*&#! I've found that replying to that nastiness is an art form ;) I could lower myself and be just as nasty but one of my favorite retorts is "Somewhere out there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen so you can breath. I believe you own it an apology." ... I have a ton of them :)

Positive thoughts

Noivous
13-07-19, 01:29
Hmm... political correctness... I might just have an opinion or two on this...I wonder if that makes me a racist?

MyNameIsTerry
13-07-19, 03:05
How could I not post some relevant bits from Ben Elton police comedy, The Thin Blue Line :nicked: :roflmao:

Post 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmTEzItfrDc

MyNameIsTerry
13-07-19, 03:06
Post 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuPb1zoEzlU

:roflmao:

MyNameIsTerry
13-07-19, 03:10
Post 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOZB5T8hOWo

Lencoboy
18-02-22, 09:02

Why not avoid hurting people's feelings if you're capable of doing so?

Also, Little Britain contained grossly offensive portrayals of disabled people and working class teenage girls. I wasn't comfortable with it at the time, given that it was made by a couple of posh white blokes, and I love that today there's room for comedy that punches upward rather than downward. The alternative is just bullying.

'Little Britain' was of its time (mid 2000s) and was at the height of our obsession with c*@v culture and all things 'Broken Britain'.

But like you said, said show was already non-PC and met with derision at the time of its original airing.

As for the concept of PC-gone-mad in general, I don't necessarily agree, as over the past 30-odd years for example, explicit content in entertainment (films, TV dramas, popular music, books, etc) has increasingly become more commonplace with relative impunity, and often in the name of free expression.

Even as recently as the 2000s a Top 5 festive novelty hit single whose title called our PM a FC would never have been allowed; now it seems that anything goes in that respect, even though I kind of agree with the basic sentiment behind that song title.

Even Boris himself never seemed to bat an eyelid over it!

spectrum123
18-02-22, 13:27
In the building industry, if someone calls you a cxxt, it's usually a term of endearment. If they call you by your formal name, they are generally lining you up for a row/bollocking!

Lencoboy
18-02-22, 13:44
In the building industry, if someone calls you a cxxt, it's usually a term of endearment. If they call you by your formal name, they are generally lining you up for a row/bollocking!

So shall I go and call someone else at my day centre a cxxt and/or tell them to eff off next week, and see if they lecture me on zero tolerance and read me the Riot Act?

After all, it's a serious offence for people with LDs to utter profanities isn't it?

(All said mostly in jest BTW).

MyNameIsTerry
18-02-22, 14:33

Same in Glasgow.

Not so much around here though. Good chance of getting punched.

But language in such circles is like locker room behaviour and no offence is taken. It just gets called toxic masculinity though.

spectrum123
18-02-22, 15:05
So shall I go and call someone else at my day centre a cxxt and/or tell them to eff off next week, and see if they lecture me on zero tolerance and read me the Riot Act?

After all, it's a serious offence for people with LDs to utter profanities isn't it?

(All said mostly in jest BTW).

Certainly the ones with LD's in the offices and factories I've worked in and dealt with have been more than capable of dishing a bit of verbal out as well as take it.

ETA - Almost all have found work life a lifeline to sanity compared to day centres.

Lencoboy
18-02-22, 15:18
Same in Glasgow.

Not so much around here though. Good chance of getting punched.

But language in such circles is like locker room behaviour and no offence is taken. It just gets called toxic masculinity thought.

I'm sure somebody said the same about Belfast too, but I could be wrong.

MyNameIsTerry
18-02-22, 15:47
I'm sure somebody said the same about Belfast too, but I could be wrong.

It's more w@nk*r. The c word is still used more in anger here but some people use it. They will get judged as dog rough though by even we liberal swearers.

Edit: sorry, meant the w word around my way.

Lencoboy
18-02-22, 15:59
It's more w@nk*r. The c word is still used more in anger here but some people use it. They will get judged as dog rough though by even we liberal swearers.

Strangely, I wouldn't be particularly fazed if someone was to call me a 'sp@z' to my face.

I would respond with 'I know you are'!

Likewise, if someone told me to eff off, I would respond with 'And you'!

fishman65
18-02-22, 16:42
In the building industry, if someone calls you a cxxt, it's usually a term of endearment. If they call you by your formal name, they are generally lining you up for a row/bollocking!Indeed spectrum. I worked as a brickie for 14 years and know just about every swear word that exists. There was one foreman (site agent) that used the F word so much it took him three times as long to say something.

MyNameIsTerry
18-02-22, 17:16
Strangely, I wouldn't be particularly fazed if someone was to call me a 'sp@z' to my face.

I would respond with 'I know you are'!

Likewise, if someone told me to eff off, I would respond with 'And you'!

Me neither but if I had someone connected to me who was born with a condition referred to that way, I might think differently. You can't help being born or how.

Things like chav though are totally different. Calling someone a chav is no more derogatory than calling someone a toff. If you act like a w@nker I may call you one. You can choose how you act. But this doesn't mean using words like sp@z which are offensive to a completely innocent section of society who never did anything to warrant a derogatory label.

MyNameIsTerry
18-02-22, 17:19
Indeed spectrum. I worked as a brickie for 14 years and know just about every swear word that exists. There was one foreman (site agent) that used the F word so much it took him three times as long to say something.

I think my mum said something similiar about her time as a primary school dinner lady (before we called them yard supervisors)...the others, not my mum :winks: She said the primary school kids repeating rude words their parents used sometimes made them smirk once they told them off.

Reminds me of this seen on Mock The Week with Fred McAuley:

https://youtu.be/mVSXgU6HLHw

Warning: rude language.

Lencoboy
18-02-22, 19:23
I think my mum said something similiar about her time as a primary school dinner lady (before we called them yard supervisors)...the others, not my mum :winks: She said the primary school kids repeating rude words their parents used sometimes made them smirk once they told them off.

Reminds me of this seen on Mock The Week with Fred McAuley:

https://youtu.be/mVSXgU6HLHw

Warning: rude language.

Contrary to popular belief, school kids using bad language is nothing new, at least not since the mid 80s, which is my earliest recollection of such phenomena.

F and C-bombs and all, sometimes even in front of, and at the staff, especially the at the (primary age) residential school I attended, also including the terrifying incidents of pupils and staff members brawling with one another in the corridors at night after bedtime!

pulisa
18-02-22, 19:38
Did you have any say in this placement at a residential school or was it the only option which was thought suitable at the time? It sounds to me as if this was a completely inappropriate environment for you at this young age?

Lencoboy
18-02-22, 19:55
Did you have any say in this placement at a residential school or was it the only option which was thought suitable at the time? It sounds to me as if this was a completely inappropriate environment for you at this young age?

No I didn't have any say, as I was 8 1/2 when I first started attending there in Jan 86, and not many persons of that age do have such a say.

My parents did check out other residential schools for me prior to then but they were all far worse than the one I ended up at, and even further away from home.

In fact, my parents said to me some years back that one of the schools they checked out (just outside Wolverhampton) was very borstal-like, with very shouty and aggressive staff members, despite it still being for primary-aged children, and I would never have coped at that particular school.

But then again, I don't think such places have ever been suitable for persons like me, and even today I believe many are still far from ideal and leave a lot to be desired.

pulisa
18-02-22, 20:33
I wonder who thought that residential school would be an appropriate placement for you? This would never happen today although that's no consolation to you, of course

Lencoboy
19-02-22, 10:26
I wonder who thought that residential school would be an appropriate placement for you? This would never happen today although that's no consolation to you, of course

Good question Pulisa.

The main reason why I was admitted to said school (according to my dad) was because I had a severe eating disorder at the time, caused by a traumatic experience at a previous school back around June 84 involving a staff member forcing me to eat something I hated and threatening to pull my trousers down and smack my bum if I vomited, as I was gagging like hell, and I already felt a bit sick that day anyway. I also went on to become quite emetophobic for many years after.

Although my eating disorder virtually disappeared during my first two months at the residential school, ironically due to having to eat everything given to me regardless of whether I liked it or not (and basically 'learning' to like foods), it was an advantage that most of the food at that residential school was much nicer and tasted different to that at my (then) previous place of education, which obviously helped, plus of course the change in environment, as I was conditioned to food anxiety in the environment of my previous school with the usual associations, habits, etc.

As for my residential schooling in general, back then in particular it was obviously de-rigueur to try to cure persons like me with ASD, which often involved harsh and punitive measures, some of which seemed extremely arbitrary and unreasonable looking back on them.

Plus there were certain staff members there who used to get quite personal and tried to guilt-trip me about my 'inappropriate' behaviours, saying they were making them feel ill, which was as non-PC as one can get (hence the title of this thread)!

Lencoboy
19-02-22, 10:29
'Little Britain' was of its time (mid 2000s) and was at the height of our obsession with c*@v culture and all things 'Broken Britain'.

But like you said, said show was already non-PC and met with derision at the time of its original airing.

As for the concept of PC-gone-mad in general, I don't necessarily agree, as over the past 30-odd years for example, explicit content in entertainment (films, TV dramas, popular music, books, etc) has increasingly become more commonplace with relative impunity, and often in the name of free expression.

Even as recently as the 2000s a Top 5 festive novelty hit single whose title called our PM a FC would never have been allowed; now it seems that anything goes in that respect, even though I kind of agree with the basic sentiment behind that song title.

Even Boris himself never seemed to bat an eyelid over it!

Also what about the word 'oik'?

Is that mega offensive?

BlueIris
19-02-22, 10:52
No, but it's pretty outdated and tends to be class-related. It's not really a word you hear these days from anybody bother than older white males.

Lencoboy
19-02-22, 11:29
No, but it's pretty outdated and tends to be class-related. It's not really a word you hear these days from anybody bother than older white males.

Thank god for that then!