PDA

View Full Version : Doctors words.....

Noworryjonny
13-07-19, 08:49
So I’ve had mri and blood tests for AS and the doctor has said to me “you haven’t got AS there is absolutely no doubt”

Why on earth can I not believe him :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nomorepanic
13-07-19, 13:57
Because you have HA so why aren't you treating that as a real illness?

adamden
13-07-19, 15:37
Because you have health anxiety. We sufferers can’t trust their word. But you must learn to. There is no point in doubting those that went to school for this kind of thing.
You don’t have ALS. No way.

Noworryjonny
13-07-19, 16:58
It’s not ALS I’m worried it’s AS (ankylosing spondylitis) but I spoke to my doctor today who said it’s not even that bad and many people live with it and live normal life’s it just causes back pain and stiffness, and famous people have it and they live perfectly normal life’s

adamden
13-07-19, 17:20
Never even heard of that condition until just now. But even still, I think you’re fine :)

Fishmanpa
13-07-19, 17:21
But you don't have AS either or any other physical illness. The sooner you accept that and treat the illness you do have as well as incorporate common sense life styles, the sooner you can begin to move on with your life.

Or.... you can continue to doubt and live in this horrid cycle of worry and fear and posting on anxiety forums.

Positive thoughts

pulisa
13-07-19, 17:45
Earlier on in the week you had Crohns...

Why AS specifically now? How would that change your lifestyle?

Noworryjonny
13-07-19, 21:47
I’ve always been worried about AS because I have back pain and a few other symptoms linking to AS but I have done a lot of research on AS today and to be honest I could still lead a normal life but I would have to make changes lifestyle wise like change my diet exercise more and take medication

adamden
13-07-19, 22:34
But your symptoms can also be linked to stress and anxiety. Trust your doctor's word, and don't keep wasting your money for procedures that aren't necessary anymore. Spend your money on seeing a therapist.

pulisa
14-07-19, 08:40
You've had an MRI scan which would pick up anything out of the ordinary. MRIs can also flag up structural problems which cause no pain so the fact that your MRI was normal and there are no inflammatory markers in your blood rules out AS and anything worrying.

Noworryjonny
14-07-19, 09:55
You've had an MRI scan which would pick up anything out of the ordinary. MRIs can also flag up structural problems which cause no pain so the fact that your MRI was normal and there are no inflammatory markers in your blood rules out AS and anything worrying.

Thank you, i had a full blood count and various tests done for inflammation and again nothing came back, the doctor has put it down to mechanical

I don’t know why I have worried so much about it I know plenty of people with it and they live normal lives, bloody health anxiety

ankietyjoe
14-07-19, 11:53
but I have done a lot of research on AS today

This is what you need to stop doing, period. Doesn't matter what the reason is, it doesn't matter what you think you might have. Just stop googling. Period.

Noworryjonny
14-07-19, 12:38
I know it’s just so hard, it’s hard to accept this backache is just normal back paik

Fishmanpa
14-07-19, 13:40
I know it’s just so hard, it’s hard to accept this backache is just normal back pain

You keep saying this regardless of medical doctors and dozens of replies of reassurance. What do you hope to gain by doing so? :shrug:

Positive thoughts

Noworryjonny
14-07-19, 13:47
I don’t know fish, I’ve tried counselling I’m back on sertraline I don’t know how else to accept it

ankietyjoe
14-07-19, 13:47
I know it’s just so hard, it’s hard to accept this backache is just normal back paik

Backache is the single most common complaint that Doctors see. It's benign 99.5% of the time. You know this.

So, you say not checking is hard, but it's the cause of your suffering.

You have a choice here. Do that hard thing and NOT check, or keep suffering. There is no way you can keep doing what you're doing (self checking, googling) and recover at the same time. It's like trying to give up smoking but still smoke cigarettes. Once you accept that, you might find it a bit easier.

Noworryjonny
14-07-19, 14:16
Thanks for the replies guys, means a lot your right I need to accept it

pulisa
14-07-19, 16:42
You have had a whole string of tests saying there is no sinister reason for your backache. Be pleased and relieved about this? Many are not so fortunate and would be delighted to have received your results. "But they don't have HA", you will respond but believe me, having HA gives you the luxury of choice...Be satisfied with the results or choose to remain in a self-inflicted HA cycle of indeterminate length.

adamden
14-07-19, 17:04
Like pulisa said, you’ve had a battery of tests done and they have found nothing. You must learn to accept what the doctor’s tell you, because if you don’t, you’re going to continue to stay in this vicious cycle of “what if”, and that’s not healthy for you.

Seymour
14-07-19, 17:15
I have AS. If you have a clear MRI and no elevated inflammatory markers, you don’t have AS. Or that would be very rare. MRI would pick up active inflammation and erosion to bones.

Not sure what area your doctor scanned but if you have no inflammation or erosion of the SI joints, you’re 100% clean.

Uncontrolled AS isn’t just back pain. It’s also accompanied by fatigue and a general sense of feeling ill. I’m sure you’re fine.

I’ve had AS for 10 years and work full time, have no active inflammation and you wouldn’t know I have it. It’s definitely treatable and most people live a perfectly normal life.

Feel free to ask any question. I know a lot about AS

pulisa
14-07-19, 18:00
Not sure whether that would be a good idea, Seymour..

Seymour
14-07-19, 18:22

Just offering support any way I can. Sorry.

pulisa
14-07-19, 19:37
Don't apologise. You've already given Jonny great support by your words alone. He doesn't need to ask you anything about AS because he doesn't have it.

Carys
14-07-19, 19:48
I think you have been fab in the words you've already written Seymour, but I entirely agree with Pulisa - he really doesn't need to ask anything from you at all, he has clear test results and doesn't have AS. You do have AS and have given a good account of how it affects you and your life, and with the genuine words you you've written and the complete reassurance he has had from doctors, there really should be no more questions. It isnt a condition he has, so doesn't need to ask questions about it.

ankietyjoe
14-07-19, 20:01

Don't apologise. You've already given Jonny great support by your words alone. He doesn't need to ask you anything about AS because he doesn't have it.

I think you have been fab in the words you've already written Seymour, but I entirely agree with Pulisa - he really doesn't need to ask anything from you at all, he has clear test results and doesn't have AS. You do have AS and have given a good account of how it affects you and your life, and with the genuine words you you've written and the complete reassurance he has had from doctors, there really should be no more questions. It isnt a condition he has, so doesn't need to ask questions about it.

+1

There is no benefit in offering added detail into a condition he doesn't have. There is no upside to this at all.

adamden
14-07-19, 20:42
+1

There is no benefit in offering added detail into a condition he doesn't have. There is no upside to this at all.
+1 on this too. It won’t be worth telling him about a condition he doesn’t have. The knowledge doesn’t serve him.

Noworryjonny
14-07-19, 20:42
Thanks everyone including Seymour, I appreciate all your words and advice

ankietyjoe
14-07-19, 21:16
Jonny, do you have a go to game app or something similar on your phone? I would suggest that when you start to feel like you need to check something or overthink something, flick something on that diverts your attention for 5 minutes. Doesn't have to be a phone app, could be anything. It's time to start retraining those neural pathways that encourage you to seek reassurance.

Noworryjonny
15-07-19, 09:57
I went back to docs to get signed off for a week as my anxiety is all over the place at the moment.

He confirmed AGAIN it’s not AS I really should start believing but I need to work on my actual illness of anxiety

pulisa
15-07-19, 12:52
So now you have a lot of time on your hands which can be unhelpful with HA.

How do you plan to work on your anxiety? What about having a read of Joe's suggestion for starters?

Seymour
15-07-19, 14:07
I went back to docs to get signed off for a week as my anxiety is all over the place at the moment.

He confirmed AGAIN it’s not AS I really should start believing but I need to work on my actual illness of anxiety

What’s not to believe? You’ve had tests done. I was diagnosed with AS from a simple X-ray. You’ve had a MRI. MRI would detect inflammation even BEFORE actual damage to the joints. Your doctor would have seen inflammation. Not "maybe". Absolutely.

AS is very easy to diagnose once you actually do the tests. If doctors say you don’t have AS after doing an MRI then you don’t have AS. You just don’t.

Be happy you’re clear of this disease and wipe it from your mind.

Noworryjonny
15-07-19, 14:15
Yea I have downloaded various games, I plan on going to the gym this week. The MRI was 1 and half year ago so I’m worried more damage has been done.

I had blood tests to test for inflammation for collitis and other inflammation about 9 months ago which came back clear though

Seymour
15-07-19, 14:45
Damage from inflammation can’t happen magically. If there was no inflammation on your MRI a year ago, then there was no inflammation. If you had blood tests a few months later that also came back clear, then you don’t have inflammation. Inflammation is something real, measurable. It’s either there or it isn’t. In your case, it isn’t.

Let me be blunt. When I had my first symptoms of AS, it hit me like a truck almost overnight. Within months I had excruciating pain, had to get up an hour earlier just so I could walk around my appartement holding the walls and waiting for my joints to loosen up. Cringed in pain when turning in my bed at night. Could barely get up from a chair in the evening. My feet hurt like hell and my fingers were swollen from the peripheral arthritis that sometimes comes with AS. My neck could barely turn.

THAT is an initial AS flare. Then I got tests done and it showed CLEAR inflammation. No but’s or maybe’s. Then I got on meds and have been pain-free for seven years. Got my college degree, found a job, work full time, girlfriend, child, all that Jazz.

I think I’ve spoken my piece. You have back pain like a lot of people get from tension or other reasons but there isn’t anything mechanical or inflammatory. MRI are super sensitive. They would have picked up any trace of inflammation or mechanical damage.

You don’t have AS. 100% certain you do not.

Carys
15-07-19, 15:34
Yup, I don't think being signed off was a good idea at all. Instead, jump for joy and celebrate that your tests are 'all good' and get back to normal life.

adamden
15-07-19, 17:09
Nothing would change in that span of time Jonny. Do what your doctor says and get a grip on your anxiety and take care of that issue.
You don't have AS. And it won't develop that quickly. You are medically healthy.

Noworryjonny
15-07-19, 17:34
Nothing would change in that span of time Jonny. Do what your doctor says and get a grip on your anxiety and take care of that issue.
You don't have AS. And it won't develop that quickly. You are medically healthy.

Well I had the same symptoms then as I do now but I’ve been ok for year and a half with the odd back ache but never not been able to get out of bed or anything.

A clear MRI and no inflammation in my including a CPR level of 1 would indicate no inflammation

ankietyjoe
15-07-19, 18:12
Dude, let it go now.

Take that week off and go sit in the park in the sun. You need to break this cycle.

You are standing in a hole whilst digging, moaning about the hole you're in.

Noworryjonny
15-07-19, 18:16
Dude, let it go now.

Take that week off and go sit in the park in the sun. You need to break this cycle.

You are standing in a hole whilst digging, moaning about the hole you're in.

You’re right joe, thank you

Seymour
15-07-19, 20:18
Well I had the same symptoms then as I do now but I’ve been ok for year and a half with the odd back ache but never not been able to get out of bed or anything.

A clear MRI and no inflammation in my including a CPR level of 1 would indicate no inflammation

And that would indicate no AS. Just as you can’t have cancer without cancerous cells, you can’t have AS without inflammation. AS IS inflammation. No inflammation, no AS.

Noworryjonny
16-07-19, 12:41
Ok so even though it was year and half 2 years ago it would of shown something then?

BlueIris
16-07-19, 13:15
Learn to reassure yourself, or you'll never get past the anxiety.

Noworryjonny
16-07-19, 13:27
I just can’t my back aches so much I can move absolutely fine it’s like a constant nagging ache that’s there and I feel it all in my shoulders and upper back

BlueIris
16-07-19, 13:45
Focusing on it obsessively won't help.

MyNameIsTerry
16-07-19, 16:48
I just can’t my back aches so much I can move absolutely fine it’s like a constant nagging ache that’s there and I feel it all in my shoulders and upper back Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkBut what if you still felt pain and thought "meh, stupid back, who cares" and just continued with your day? Wouldn't that be worth working towards?

Noworryjonny
16-07-19, 16:56
I wish I could do that

BlueIris
16-07-19, 17:03
Wishing doesn't help. Working at it does.

Carys
16-07-19, 17:20
This ^

Noworryjonny
16-07-19, 17:28
I get that, I just feel so alone, I’ve been to the doctors so many times and they’ve told me it’s not AS, but I don’t get why I’m feeling this pain, I wake up feeling fine but then within 30mins I ache

Seymour
16-07-19, 17:32
I get that, I just feel so alone, I’ve been to the doctors so many times and they’ve told me it’s not AS, but I don’t get why I’m feeling this pain, I wake up feeling fine but then within 30mins I ache

That alone tells you it’s mechanical and not AS. With AS, you feel like crap when you wake up and feel better after moving around, not the opposite.

Focusing on AS will only delay the discovery of the real cause, which can very well be muscle knots or something absolutely benign like 95% of back pains.

pulisa
16-07-19, 17:50
I wish I could do that

I have to do that and I have burning pain in my upper back all day, no let up. And I'm a carer.

Come on, Jonny. It's just routine back ache.

BlueIris
16-07-19, 17:55
I have to do that and I have burning pain in my upper back all day, no let up. And I'm a carer.

Come on, Jonny. It's just routine back ache.

Something like 90 percent of people suffer from backache at some point.

I think there's this mindset with a lot of HA people that pain equates to danger, rather than a blasted nuisance. Pain is a sign we're alive.

Carys
16-07-19, 18:03
I have bugg**ed scaroiliac joints on both sides of my pelvis, have done for 30 years. If my posture is wrong, if I sit an odd way at the computer without my feet flat on the floor, if I lean back in a sitting position in bed, if I lift something the wrong way, if I lie on my stomach flat (this one irritates me the most) and a variety of other physical activities, it is set off. When it is set off I can barely walk, stand or sit without pain, particularly down the left of my back and left leg. It can last for a week at a time in its highly inflammed state, I can't bend down to put my clothes on, I can't turn on the toilet (I know TMI lol), I hobble using the right leg mostly and it is agony no matter what position I am in down my thighs and front of leg also. I don't say all this because I deserve or want any attention or congratulations - I tell you that many people (like Pulisa above) have long-term BENIGN conditions that they just have to live with. MAny many people suffer from back problems, day in and day out, far far more severe than my own condition and are just trying to get on with it.

Regarding your back - why not start looking for mechanical reasons; adjust the actions you do, think about how you stand/sit and what you lift. Determine if you are doing anything that could be giving you the back pain, really start assessing your life-style in detail and change some of your current habits! I, and many others, have to do that and find ways to make symptoms manageable on a daily basis. I have learnt the actions that make it trigger, I have learnt positions that ease the stress that causes the joint dysfunction, and exercises that help open the joint and free the nerves. There could be lots you could do to help your aching back once you really assess possible causes, and find exercises or different positions that help.

Ultimately, it is an aching back.

I think there's this mindset with a lot of HA people that pain equates to danger, rather than a blasted nuisance.

This is a very good point! Pain IS nature's way of telling us, you have hurt something/are doing something that is stressing muscles/joints, but often it is natural, normal and expected and part of the human condition. WHo hasn't overdone digging in the garden and suffered the next day ?

Noworryjonny
16-07-19, 18:11
Your right, my hamstrings are very very tight and I have read that could be a signal for back pain, I am also 6ft 4 and I work on my feet for 9hours a day

Carys
16-07-19, 18:20
OK, now we get somewhere...... LOL

So, you are on your feet for 9 hours a day, are you doing lifting, carrying, leaning over a lot, manual handling ? Start assessing.....

Noworryjonny
16-07-19, 18:21
Nothing too drastic no, I’m a retail manager so always folding, the till is for people who are an average height my doctor seems to think my height has a big part to play

jray23
16-07-19, 18:26
I volunteer the idea that your back pain may not even be mechanical, but rather caused by all of your anxiety and stress. There is starting to be a lot of evidence coming out that various common chronic head, neck, and back pains with no identifiable structural damage are "self-made".

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Noworryjonny
16-07-19, 18:27
That’s something I’ve thought about jay, back pain is one of the main symptoms in depression

ankietyjoe
16-07-19, 18:55
Whether it's mechanical, mental or caused by poxy aliens it doesn't matter. It's not dangerous OR serious.

Wishing you could do something is ridiculous, it's a choice, not a magic game of chance.

You have a choice to keep wittering on about the same old thing (you've been talking about being on your feet at work for how long?) or just accept it for what it is and get on with your life. I've been suffering with back pain for 14 years (since I last worked in construction) AND have two kids AND I'm overweight. If I followed the same mental patterns as you I'd be in a very bad place.

Back pain is THE number one medical complaint on the planet, fact.

Let it go.

MyNameIsTerry
17-07-19, 01:57
Something like 90 percent of people suffer from backache at some point.

I think there's this mindset with a lot of HA people that pain equates to danger, rather than a blasted nuisance. Pain is a sign we're alive.

I have bugg**ed scaroiliac joints on both sides of my pelvis, have done for 30 years. If my posture is wrong, if I sit an odd way at the computer without my feet flat on the floor, if I lean back in a sitting position in bed, if I lift something the wrong way, if I lie on my stomach flat (this one irritates me the most) and a variety of other physical activities, it is set off. When it is set off I can barely walk, stand or sit without pain, particularly down the left of my back and left leg. It can last for a week at a time in its highly inflammed state, I can't bend down to put my clothes on, I can't turn on the toilet (I know TMI lol), I hobble using the right leg mostly and it is agony no matter what position I am in down my thighs and front of leg also. I don't say all this because I deserve or want any attention or congratulations - I tell you that many people (like Pulisa above) have long-term BENIGN conditions that they just have to live with. MAny many people suffer from back problems, day in and day out, far far more severe than my own condition and are just trying to get on with it.

Regarding your back - why not start looking for mechanical reasons; adjust the actions you do, think about how you stand/sit and what you lift. Determine if you are doing anything that could be giving you the back pain, really start assessing your life-style in detail and change some of your current habits! I, and many others, have to do that and find ways to make symptoms manageable on a daily basis. I have learnt the actions that make it trigger, I have learnt positions that ease the stress that causes the joint dysfunction, and exercises that help open the joint and free the nerves. There could be lots you could do to help your aching back once you really assess possible causes, and find exercises or different positions that help.

Ultimately, it is an aching back.

This is a very good point! Pain IS nature's way of telling us, you have hurt something/are doing something that is stressing muscles/joints, but often it is natural, normal and expected and part of the human condition. WHo hasn't overdone digging in the garden and suffered the next day ?

That's the thing, if you didn't care you wouldn't be bothered by it. And your subconscious wouldn't even look to bring it up. It's the old issue of what is important to you. Anxiety seeks out the Achilles Heel, what will evoke the greatest reaction to keep itself alive. It thinks it's saving you from the slavering growing bear when there is actually a cute fluffy bunny in front of you (but not the one out of Monty Python And The Holy Grail :ohmy::roflmao:)

For the HAer that strange sensation becomes a "what illness if this?". As a GADer, who has always struggled with symptoms, this isn't the case for me but it's just the fact it's unpleasant to experience and can/will bring more anxiety. Fear of fear but also just that weakness issue of not being able to just push on as I did before.

On top of this there is the sensitivity issue. It's no longer just a minor ache but an all focus pulling unpleasant ache. But the reality is, as has been said, it may be less of an ache or pain if your body didn't respond so strongly to it with "aaarrrgggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!"

Jonny - do what Joe said, reduce your compulsions. Working on the obsession is a different piece as it requires working on those core beliefs that underpin it all, thoughts/thinking styles and behaviours, etc but (whilst it's hard at first) you will in time elimination of those reinforcing compulsions reduces the intensity of your cycles.

Carys
17-07-19, 08:41
That's the thing, if you didn't care you wouldn't be bothered by it.

Yep, and I think thats what Jonny needs to do, learn to not care about something that is clearly nothing sinister. I view it important that those without HA counteract the thinking of those with HA by giving the persepective on how others logically process it.

Maybe he could buy and try one of those supportive wide belt things for lower back pain? I suspect his doctor is right about his height and the lower back pain, as I knew a carer who had similar issue just from bending and leaning a lot during a long working shift.

Noworryjonny
17-07-19, 09:15
My parents went to go see my doctor today as they saw how bad I was yesterday and he confirmed to them Jonny does not have AS 100% what he has is GAD and is focusing on symptoms that really aren’t that sinister, he needs to focus on other things and accept this for what it is, normal back pain

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 09:21
I’m starting to accept my back pain is general anxiety but do people feel back pain like a dull ache from just laying down for a while

BlueIris
18-07-19, 09:25
Yep, certainly. Didn't you get it when you were getting inked? Every time I've had to lie down for a tattoo I've been crippled afterwards.

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 09:29
Yes I do but because this week I’ve been laying down quite a bit it feels like a constant dull ache in my whole back and neck and then focusing on it is making it worse

BlueIris
18-07-19, 09:34
Yeah, that's just from laying flat, don't sweat it. Try to keep moving and focus on other things and it'll pass eventually.

ankietyjoe
18-07-19, 09:53
Laying down will make back ache worse. You need to walk about in the sun, watch the girls go by, breathe in the outside air etc etc etc etc.

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 10:26
So when I start worrying about it and focus on other things the back pain will subside?

BlueIris
18-07-19, 10:30
Yep, just don't expect it to happen overnight.

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 10:33
That’s the problem with me I expect things to happen very quickly, I can’t get my head around that my anxiety is making the pain 10x worse

BlueIris
18-07-19, 10:40
I've learned the hard way, it can take an age for these things to disappear.

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 10:42
I just want to rest assured that the pain is purely my anxiety and height etc, and surely with clean bloods and MRI it proves that but trying to get that into my head is hard

Fishmanpa
18-07-19, 11:02
I just want to rest assured that the pain is purely my anxiety and height etc, and surely with clean bloods and MRI it proves that but trying to get that into my head is hard

This is just more reassurance seeking Jonny.... perhaps real life help is in order at this point.

Positive thoughts

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 11:05
I’ve tried counselling and hypnotherapy none of that helps and I’ve just started sertraline a week ago which is also making me very anxious

Fishmanpa
18-07-19, 11:19
I’ve just started sertraline a week ago which is also making me very anxious

Then the heightened anxiety makes sense as start up can be challenging. perhaps once that kicks in, you should look into therapy again. I found with the depression I suffered, the meds provided the crutch I needed to focus on therapy and techniques.

Positive thoughts

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 11:26
Basically the doctor said my pain is postural aswell as I’m on my feet all day changes in my posture can cause the pain, so maybe the heightened anxiety has made me focus on the normal pain I have in my back but normally I can ignore it?

Fishmanpa
18-07-19, 11:33
Basically the doctor said my pain is postural as well as I’m on my feet all day changes in my posture can cause the pain, so maybe the heightened anxiety has made me focus on the normal pain I have in my back but normally I can ignore it?

Remove the question mark and make that a statement of fact as opposed to a reassurance seeking question.

Positive thoughts

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 11:35
Ok thanks fish! It makes sense because there are days where I can ignore it and there are days where it’s simply too much for me

ankietyjoe
18-07-19, 12:00
Well actually ignoring it won't make the pain go away completely. You're looking at this from the wrong angle.

The way to look at it is that you have backache, and it's not a problem. Life goes on.

You cannot eliminate sensation from your life so you might as well get this into your head now. You can live WITH some back pain and still not worry about it. Seeking reassurance every single second of the day is going to cause you problems, 100% guaranteed.

Putting it simply, assume your back pain is here to stay, so learn to live with it.

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 12:17
I agree joe, it’s hard to accept it for what it is I’m always after a medical diagnosis, when simply I need to accept it for what it is... backache

pulisa
18-07-19, 12:35
Benign, routine, boring backache. Just another string to your varied HA bow. It has no pathology and no significance. Keep as active as you can and ignore any discomfort.

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 14:29
It’s like a burning pain across my upper buttock and pain in right side of bum and pain in thigh/leg so thinking could be touch of sciatica?

BlueIris
18-07-19, 14:33
Doesn't matter if it is or isn't. Stop brooding about it.

Fishmanpa
18-07-19, 14:54
You're not helping yourself being logged on here talking about it.

Positive thoughts

ankietyjoe
18-07-19, 15:02
I agree joe, it’s hard to accept it for what it is I’m always after a medical diagnosis

You've had one. In fact you've had several.

You know what's harder than accepting it and moving on with your life now?

Accepting it in another 10 years after asking the same questions another thousand times. I can guarantee you it'll be harder then.

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 15:07
But I have pain exactly where you get pain with AS that’s why I think it’s that, I know I’ve had blood tests and mri but I am adamant it’s that

BlueIris
18-07-19, 15:15
This is because your anxiety is making you delusional. It's nothing to be ashamed of, but it is something you need to acknowledge.

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 15:17
Can anxiety do that???

Carys
18-07-19, 15:23
It’s like a burning pain across my upper buttock and pain in right side of bum and pain in thigh/leg so thinking could be touch of sciatica?

Yep, could be from your description. So why not try some of the self-help measures for sciatica and see if it helps? I had hospital physio for sciatica many moons ago - but there are plenty of relaxation and exercise techniques which can help at home for mild cases.

I know I’ve had blood tests and mri but I am adamant it’s that

Its not.

BlueIris
18-07-19, 15:26
Can anxiety do that???

Yes, anxiety can absolutely make you believe untrue things. It's horrible like that.

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 15:32
So a clear MRI and blood tests can rule it out?

I’ve thought I’ve had AS for three years now so I almost have to say to myself so what if it is, I’ve lived a normal life (apart from health anxiety) for 3 years

MyNameIsTerry
18-07-19, 16:27
Yep, could be from your description. So why not try some of the self-help measures for sciatica and see if it helps? I had hospital physio for sciatica many moons ago - but there are plenty of relaxation and exercise techniques which can help at home for mild cases.Its not.I agree with Carys, this sounds like sciatica. This means sitting and lying down will make it worse. What is needed is stretching and light exercise. The NHS have an exercises page and there is tons out there on Google (some that helps that the NHS doesn't mention in terms of exercises). But sciatica can take time to resolve. I found TENS helped which originally was something I found for my dad who had a history if sciatica to the severity of when it appearing he was crawling around in the floor for days (and it really helped him).

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 16:27
So a clear MRI and blood tests can rule it out?

I’ve thought I’ve had AS for three years now so I almost have to say to myself so what if it is, I’ve lived a normal life (apart from health anxiety) for 3 years

I’m just tired of it all I really am

ankietyjoe
18-07-19, 16:31
The choice is yours, let it go or suffer continually.

I'm out of this thread now because you're adamant you want to keep making yourself suffer, but feel free to drop me another PM if you want some constructive tips on how to let this go. You said you want fast results, but whatever I suggest to you won't be fast, so be mentally prepared before you try the things that actually work, it takes time.

Good luck.

Carys
18-07-19, 16:38
I’m just tired of it all I really am

Then do something about it, instead of just accepting this misery. The keys to this lock are in your own hands, and advice has been offered by many about how to progress beyond this back pain obsession.

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 16:42
I know I went to the beach on my own today but because it’s a 2 hour drive it was just so uncomfortable in the car so by the time i got there that’s all I can think of,

I’m just adamant it’s AS I know it is

Fishmanpa
18-07-19, 16:42

Still logged in I see...Frankly, worrying about a disease you don't have for three years is not normal at all. All you doing by being on here is feeding your dragon. The reassurance seeking patterns are quite obvious (?) ;) Hope you feel better soon.

Positive thoughts

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 16:50
I know it’s not normal but I’m consumed by it, when I have quite clearly the symptoms it’s so hard to believe it’s not that

BlueIris
18-07-19, 16:55
Any amount of improbable things can seem quite clear when you're in the grip of severe anxiety.

It can help to check in with people close to you; I know I can trust my husband to tell me if I'm being irrational.

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 17:12
My parents, friends and girlfriend are all telling me I’m being irrational and it’s not AS but I know my body and I’m sure it’s that

BlueIris
18-07-19, 17:16
Your parents, friends and girlfriend are all a lot saner than you right now.

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 17:18
I just don’t understand how nobody believes me :(

Fishmanpa
18-07-19, 17:23

Two years, 58 threads on an anxiety website with no physical illnesses despite multiple doctor visits and tests perhaps? :whistles:

Positive thoughts

adamden
18-07-19, 17:30
My parents, friends and girlfriend are all telling me I’m being irrational and it’s not AS but I know my body and I’m sure it’s that

Because they’re right Jonny. You’ve had the tests done, what else is there to do?
Please don’t be turning into a guy like darkside. We don’t need two of you like this.

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 17:32
I’m sorry I don’t mean to be annoying

BlueIris
18-07-19, 17:46
Just try to accept that you may not be thinking clearly right now?

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 17:49
I do accept that but I’ve had this pain before a couple of years ago

adamden
18-07-19, 18:04
I do accept that but I’ve had this pain before a couple of years ago

Were you anxious then too? More than likely.
Just because you’ve had this pain before doesn’t mean it’s 100% AS.
Want the statistics compared to the population?
Anxiety = 18.1% <———— AS = 0.5%
You are WAY more likely to have anxiety.
How about we make this specific to you?
Anxiety = 1,000% <———— AS = 0%
You don’t have it. You just don’t.

pulisa
18-07-19, 18:05
[QUOTE=Noworryjonny;1884594]I do accept that but I’ve had this pain before a couple of years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOT

A couple of years ago? And you've got the same discomfort now? So it's suddenly AS..after 2 years of no backache?

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 18:17
I’ve had backache on and off throughout the two years but this specific pain an specific place,

My doctor called and confirmed it sounds like a touch of sciatica but he said he will not give me another MRI or tests because it is not AS 100%

Seymour
18-07-19, 18:37
It’s like having a biopsy, being told it’s benign and still saying it’s cancer. It just doesn’t make rational sense.

Carys
18-07-19, 18:49
My doctor called and confirmed it sounds like a touch of sciatica

Right well there we go then, diagnosis achieved. There are no more tests and checks needed, I never had any for my crippling sciatica 30 years ago (that needed physio to get moving again), it was all diagnosed on symptoms. So, look up exercises for that and move on.....human bodies have assorted issues as you get older and as 'issues' go this one is incredibly minor.

I remember saying that when I had a brain tumour 40 years ago! Absolutely 100 percent convinced I was, had all the symptoms, clear as day yet NOBODY BELIEVED ME. Funnily enough, they were all right.

pulisa
18-07-19, 18:51
Your doctor is giving you way too much attention, Jonny. It doesn't help HA.

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 18:53
It’s like having a biopsy, being told it’s benign and still saying it’s cancer. It just doesn’t make rational sense.

I know, everybody apart from me thinks like that!

BlueIris
18-07-19, 18:54
What do you think the odds are of everybody being wrong and you being right?

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 18:55
Your doctor is giving you way too much attention, Jonny. It doesn't help HA.

He’s been my doctor for years he has tried the blunt approach which made me worse, he just said to me he don’t understand why I can’t believe what’s black and white on the scan

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 19:07
What do you think the odds are of everybody being wrong and you being right?

I know I get that, I just don’t get why I’m so caught up on this

Carys
18-07-19, 19:15
I don't think you are spending any time trying to counteract the belief you have with logical facts, self-talk and reassurance. Write down all the reasons why this is NOT the AS back problem thing, e.g. I've had an MRI scan and it showed no inflammation. Through this thread, and from the medics you've seen, you should be able to come up with many many bullet points. Then, when you come back to 'but it must be AS', read them, repeat them, retrain yourself on it.

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 19:16
I don't think you are spending any time trying to counteract the belief you have with logical facts, self-talk and reassurance. Write down all the reasons why this is NOT the AS back problem thing, e.g. I've had an MRI scan and it showed no inflammation. Through this thread, and from the medics you've seen, you should be able to come up with many many bullet points. Then, when you come back to 'but it must be AS', read them, repeat them, retrain yourself on it.

Thank you I will do that

pulisa
18-07-19, 19:24
At least the "Crohns" has taken a back seat..for the time being.

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 19:35
At least the "Crohns" has taken a back seat..for the time being.

I know, I know what everyone thinks and that I’m pathetic by these worries but they are genuine

pulisa
18-07-19, 19:40
They are genuine worries but your knowledge of disease is flawed.

Noworryjonny
18-07-19, 20:08
I will try to accept the burning pain is sciatica then and nothing more sinister

MyNameIsTerry
19-07-19, 01:43
I will try to accept the burning pain is sciatica then and nothing more sinister

And...?

Tackling anxiety is one thing but sciatica is a problem you can work on like anyone without anxiety.

The stretches take 5-10 minutes a couple of times a day, TENS can take similar. With the standing job you may need to look at your posture (slouching? Shoulders rounded? All ways to get a bad back) and people with mental health problems are know for walking with their heads down causing rounding. The changes in posture also put more strain on other parts of the body hence why we see so many knee, hip, back, headache, etc type issues as well.

Look at how you sit, sitting can contribute to sciatica. Often when sitting it can feel like you have a thick wallet (I wish! :biggrin:) in your back pocket, which is one way they spot sciatica.

You may find your calf is tight, it may even throb. All issues with sciatica.

Long term you could strengthen your core/back. Weakness is often a reason for back pain too.

Carys
19-07-19, 05:13
Yes! I'm glad you repeated all this Terry!

The good news is that you can do something about this, with adaptations of standing posture and seating, some simple lifestyle changes and learning about what helps to alleviate the issue and improve it. Back pain which is not really muscular but nerve related from the pelvis is a nuisance, but you can start learning how you can ease yours. If you must research anything then now you can look up some exercises and stretches for this condition. Trust me Jonny, you have a minor case going on here, some pregnant women who have it occur can barely move! I personally use those pharmacist heat pad things that stick on under your clothes at the worst times, they are useful.

Noworryjonny
19-07-19, 16:51
So just back from hospital as my lower back went numb earlier and the docs have said it is probably a trapped nerve and that’s what’s causing the pulling sensation in my lower back!

He said it’s not AS as you’ve had your blood and MRI

Carys
19-07-19, 17:29
Did your GP send you, or did you turn up at A and E ?

Noworryjonny
19-07-19, 18:31
I just went

BlueIris
19-07-19, 18:34
You really need to find yourself a hobby or two.

Noworryjonny
19-07-19, 18:37
I’ve literally just come back and I went to the toilet and I’ve just passed water instead of poo! I’ve had an upset tummy today because I haven’t eaten anything other than toast last night in 3 days and hardly drank and sertraline side effects with other tablets I’m really worried

BlueIris
19-07-19, 18:42
Failing to eat and stressing a lot will totally give you the squits.

Newsflash: bodies do stuff, it's how you can tell you're alive.

Noworryjonny
19-07-19, 18:43
But clear water is that normal?

BlueIris
19-07-19, 18:50
We've had a thread about it recent, and apparently it is.

Noworryjonny
19-07-19, 18:55
I suppose if I’ve not eaten anything or drank anything but I have an upset tummy because of the sertraline that’s all I can poo out is water

Carys
19-07-19, 19:02
https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?230692-Water-instead-of-poop&highlight=clear+watery+poo

Carys
19-07-19, 19:04
Personally, I've not heard of totally clear 'water' coming out, but it seems that it can happen from some other posts on here. Ring your GP if it seems abnormal to you, or related to the medication.

MyNameIsTerry
20-07-19, 02:43
Bowel issues are one of the most common side effects of starting an antidepressant.

Even if you had the AS you dread what do you think A&E can do about it? It's not an emergency situation. This is about the panic reaching high levels and you wanting reassurance but please try to use other strategies for this as A&E can't help you and others need that service more. Speak to your family. It doesn't matter if it drives them, or us nuts, it's better than taking up A&E time.

That being said, don't beat yourself up about as we've all done stuff like this at some point in one way or another. Just learn from it.

Tightness up the leg, something well known in sciatica. Work on it and see if it improves but it can take time.

Carys
20-07-19, 09:35
Hiyer Terry,

Actually, this has got confusing, Jonny has another thread about his 'clear poo' and its kinda all been resolved....... :yesyes:

Noworryjonny
20-07-19, 10:40
Hey guys

so my poo isn’t clear it’s just quite runny and mucusy, I’ve got such a tummy ache today and the runs!

I’m hoping it’s because of the sertraline and my anxiety

BlueIris
20-07-19, 10:43
Of course it is, that and the fact you didn't eat normally for a few days.

Carys
20-07-19, 10:53
Jonny, do you recall I warned you that it would take quite a while to sort out? Remember I gave you the same advice as NHS direct :winks: Read back some of the replies on the last two pages, to give reassurance to yourself. You have affected your GI tract, the whole lot not just the bowels, by starving yourself and taking meds on an empty stomach and with severe anxiety. I said, don't expect it to return to normal straight away. What you are describing sounds perfectly normal for someone who has hammered their gut flora and balance of GI in general, this can take quite some time to sort out. The new med and your anxiety ALONE could be causing some problems, but also so could the way you have treated your body the last few days - I recognise the symptoms you have.

Noworryjonny
20-07-19, 10:54
It’s like I’ve got the feeling that I need to go poo but when I go nothing comes out or (sorry) just a dribble

Carys
20-07-19, 10:55
Yep, and this is what will happen......if you don't eat and drink and stress yourself to the level that you have. There is cause and effect.

Noworryjonny
20-07-19, 10:57
And also constantly burping, so it will take a couple of days to sort out?

BlueIris
20-07-19, 10:58
Just a heads-up; you're a lovely guy but nobody likes hearing detailed information about others' excretory habits.

I can demonstrate this later today, if you don't believe me, since my IBS and I are heading off for a large vegetarian curry followed by a couple of beers.

Carys
20-07-19, 11:00
:roflmao:Ha ha Blue ! Me and my IBS have also been struggling these last few months also.....

Carys
20-07-19, 11:02
And also constantly burping, so it will take a couple of days to sort out?

Standard responses, with the extra gas also! The acids and flora have all taken a hit. It might take days, if you stop worrying about it (the body passes food at high speed through the GI tract if you are stressed and this causes problems) eat normally and allow it to sort itself out. If you stress yourself continually, don't eat normally and don't drink properly, it could take much longer. CAuse and effect Jonny.

MyNameIsTerry
20-07-19, 16:34
I can demonstrate this later today, if you don't believe me, since my IBS and I are heading off for a large vegetarian curry followed by a couple of beers.Your bum will be singing the theme tune to Bonanza :ohmy::blush:

BlueIris
20-07-19, 16:38
Probably, but it was so worth it. Freshly-cooked dosas are worth pretty much anything.

Having a dodgy stomach is a nuisance, not a tragedy.

MyNameIsTerry
20-07-19, 16:41
Hiyer Terry,Actually, this has got confusing, Jonny has another thread about his 'clear poo' and its kinda all been resolved....... :yesyes:Oops looks like I've started the runs off on this thread now then :doh:

MyNameIsTerry
20-07-19, 16:44
Probably, but it was so worth it. Freshly-cooked dosas are worth pretty much anything.Having a dodgy stomach is a nuisance, not a tragedy.No pain no gain :yesyes:

Noworryjonny
21-07-19, 11:13
I’m really worried about this nervous tummy feeling it makes me want to poo all the time please someone tell me this is normal for anxiety

BlueIris
21-07-19, 11:20
You've been told repeatedly; you need to learn to tell yourself.

Do you really want this thread to hit the 200 page mark without you feeling any better?

Noworryjonny
21-07-19, 11:22
It’s like a sinking feeling in my lower tummy thats constantly there it does not ease up and when I go to poo nothing happens how can anxiety and my meds do this

Carys
21-07-19, 11:44
Cos they can, as I told you quite a few times - disturbed gut flora, the colon constantly trying to evacuate (from anxiety) and for a multitude of other reasons all related to stress e.g. spasms in the colon. There is very little there to actually come out at present!

Carys
21-07-19, 11:49
Anxiety affects a person inside and out. One of the areas most sensitive to this change is the digestive system. The human digestive system is incredibly delicate. Even the smallest imbalance can lead to a host of bowel problems spanning the spectrum from minor discomfort to significant distress.
Bowel problems are commonly associated with anxiety, as stress can alter hormones, affect digestion speed, and put significant pressure on intestines. Throughout this article, we’ll explore the causes, symptoms, and solutions of bowel problems as they relate to anxiety and stress.

There are many bowel issues that can relate back to stress and anxiety as well. But what is interesting about bowel issues from anxiety is that they are related in a number of ways, some of which may not even yet be clear.

Below is a quick breakdown of some of the bowel problems that those with anxiety may struggle with. While it is not a comprehensive list, the bowel issues below are some of the most common reported issues and the ones that you or someone you care about may experience if they struggle from anxiety and stress related issues.

Gas

Another common bowel problem associated with anxiety is gas. During periods of anxiety when digestion is slowed and diet affected, the result may not just be diarrhea and constipation. It may also be gas, which the body creates any time digestion isn’t working properly. Gas can be both smelly and painful, and in some cases can lead to increased stress in social situations.
There are other issues that may lead to gas and flatulence as well. Those with anxiety are prone to air swallowing and hyperventilation, and these can lead to excess air in the body. Usually, this air is released through the mouth, but in some cases, it can be released through the bowel instead.

Diarrhea and Constipation

Two of the most common bowel issues connected to stress and anxiety are diarrhea and constipation. Of course, these two bowel issues are linked to hundreds of different causes and conditions, which is why sometimes these issues go unnoticed or are attributed to a different cause. But anxiety is still a frequent cause and contributor. These basic digestive issues affect a large percentage of those that struggle with severe stress.
Yet, interestingly, the cause of these issues is not always clear. Some possible causes are known, but it may be difficult to determine the exact mechanism that is affecting your particular diet. Some of the potential causes include:

Changed Digestion - Anxiety releases adrenaline, and adrenaline may slow down the speed of your digestion. Any time your digestion speed changes, it may cause either diarrhea or constipation.
Anxiety-Diet Changes - Sometimes, when people have stress, they change what they eat and drink. For example, if someone is suffering from anxiety related fatigue they may have more coffee to make up for it, which may cause diarrhea. Or they may eat ice-cream as a coping tool, leading to an upset stomach.
Diarrhea and Constipation

Two of the most common bowel issues connected to stress and anxiety are diarrhea and constipation. Of course, these two bowel issues are linked to hundreds of different causes and conditions, which is why sometimes these issues go unnoticed or are attributed to a different cause. But anxiety is still a frequent cause and contributor. These basic digestive issues affect a large percentage of those that struggle with severe stress.
Yet, interestingly, the cause of these issues is not always clear. Some possible causes are known, but it may be difficult to determine the exact mechanism that is affecting your particular diet. Some of the potential causes include:
Changed Digestion - Anxiety releases adrenaline, and adrenaline may slow down the speed of your digestion. Any time your digestion speed changes, it may cause either diarrhea or constipation.
Anxiety-Diet Changes - Sometimes, when people have stress, they change what they eat and drink. For example, if someone is suffering from anxiety related fatigue they may have more coffee to make up for it, which may cause diarrhea. Or they may eat ice-cream as a coping tool, leading to an upset stomach.

The "Need to Go"

Finally, anxiety can also cause an ongoing feeling of urgency, or needing to go to the bathroom.
This is due to the fight or flight system being activated as a result of stress. Pressure builds up inside of the body, causing stool to feel like it needs to come out. Also, during times of intense stress, the body uses increased amounts of energy, leaving less energy to hold the anal sphincter in place.

Noworryjonny
21-07-19, 11:52
Thank you

Noworryjonny
21-07-19, 14:05
Just been to docs, I had full blood tests and no inflammation at all and all my bloods were good, iron levels very good.

They said my stomach feeling is down to anxiety and the fact I’m not eating well or drinking is playing a huge part

Carys
21-07-19, 14:41
They said my stomach feeling is down to anxiety and the fact I’m not eating well or drinking is playing a huge part

Well, Jonny, sorry to have to say this........ok, I won't say it :roflmao:. We have all been saying this over and over, you are refusing to believe it though, hence having gone off to the doctor (which Doctor would see you on a Sunday and run various blood tests, he must be a one-off ?). I also said on PM that I recognise all your symptoms personally.

Noworryjonny
21-07-19, 14:52
I went to A&E as I was feeling suicidal so they ran blood tests there and then,

I’ve come back home after being assessed and I have really bad diarrhoea now and my stomach feels so nervous

Carys
21-07-19, 15:08
Jonny, if you are feeling suicidal, then its time to ring your out of hours doctor and talk to them pronto. Did you tell A and E that you were feeling that way ? (I know you also went yesterday, or was it the day before about your back, not sure if it was the same A and E you went to today?) I would say that if this is a new feeling for you, and if you are concerned about your thoughts, then you should be speaking with someone to get some further assessement - based on the fact you have just started sertraline.

Noworryjonny
21-07-19, 15:22
A&E took me to the mental health team and they helped me they gave me a medical and agreed it’s my situation and my tablets that’s caused me like this

I’m concerned about the diarrhoea and needing to poo all the time but they said the tests have ruled anything out sinister and it’s anxiety and side effects of sertraline

Fishmanpa
21-07-19, 15:51
You're ramped up due to starting the meds. When I took Zoloft for depression, I had a dodgy stomach for a few weeks but it settled down. Other than that, I didn't have any other side effects. I didn't notice any difference but people around me did. They commented on my attitude being more positive. I attribute that to the meds as they enabled me to focus on therapy.

Bottom line, is you're physically healthy despite what your anxiety is trying to tell you. We can't help you believe that as reassurance doesn't work. Its going to be up to you. Hang in there and think about getting some real life professional help.

Positive thoughts

Carys
21-07-19, 18:34
Eat little amounts often - as I said on PM, a handful of nuts, a biscuit, a banana, a cup of milk, a yoghurt, that type of thing. Don't worry about 'meals' just get something into yourself.

Noworryjonny
23-07-19, 10:35
Hi guys,

I went into hospital Sunday feeling suicidal, I have had this anxious knot feeling in my stomach for 3/4 days and my worrying about my health got too much and I just wanted to end it all!

I went to A&E waited 8 hours to speak to mental health team. They were very good.

I also had a full examination blood tests and a rectal examination and got told I’m very healthy with very good iron levels.

I am now back home highly medicated and awaiting referral to the psychologist.

They told me the weird feeling in my stomach and needed to poo was anxiety induced ibs.

KK77
23-07-19, 12:11
"Highly medicated" on what?

You don't mention depression often in your posts. You generally focus on physical symptoms, which I remember commenting on before. So I hope seeing a psychologist will be helpful as it's important to get to the root of your HA and other MH problems.

Noworryjonny
23-07-19, 14:34
Zopiclone and lanza(something) and 150mg sertraline,

Yea I don’t normally suffer with depression but this episode has caused me huge distress and the docs are saying it’s now depression

lofwyr
23-07-19, 14:47
Anxiety and depression can often be close kin. In the worst of it for me, the anxiety started things off, but before I got through the worst of it, depression was just as bad, if not worse than the anxiety. =(

I am glad you are getting the help you need though, stay strong. I was like that--wanting to just not feel it anymore--and I am much, much better off now. Seems like a distant memory to me at this point. If I can do it, so can you.

Elen
23-07-19, 14:57
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Noworryjonny
25-07-19, 14:34
So I’ve had a couple of better days, and my stomach has been settling along with my anxiety,

However I went to go for a poo and the consistency was completely normal but now I’m left with a very sore bottom and the feeling I didn’t finish, i keep trying to tell myself it’s very common with IBS

Fishmanpa
25-07-19, 14:49
Pretty normal for both IBS and a side effect of Sertraline. It'll settle down along with your anxiety as the meds kick in.

Positive thoughts

Noworryjonny
25-07-19, 14:57
Thank you fish, I’m feeling a lot more positive today

adamden
25-07-19, 16:17
I’m glad you got the help you needed Jonny. You’re very responsible for doing what you did.

Yes, feeling like you didn’t finish is a very common symptom of IBS and sertraline. Don’t let it bother you too much :)

Noworryjonny
25-07-19, 16:24
Thank you,

I think it’s because I’m passing solids again so I have to get used to that hence why it stings and because my bum stings it makes me aware of feeling down there making me feel I need to poo

NOGOTS
25-07-19, 17:45
God, I feel your pain right now. Everybody tells me "your doctor already said there's nothing wrong with you! Why can't you just believe them!" The thing is with health anxiety, GAD etc its not that simple. I made a post last night because I'm freaking out about allergies, coughing and vaping.. thinking its something much worse! Anyway, the best answer I've ever given anyone in response to that is "with suffering from health anxiety and generalized anxiety disorder, if God himself told me there's nothing wrong.. I'd probably still go on Google to see if he's right." and that's pretty sad, isn't it?

Noworryjonny
31-07-19, 12:54
Sorry to write here again but I’ve been ok for 4 days but I just went to the toilet and it was normal(ish) but I now have that continuing feeling in my tummy where I need to go again, is this normal with anxiety and ibs? I’ve been told catergorically I haven’t got crohns or anything like that

Carys
31-07-19, 14:26
Yes absolutely Jonny, this will go on like this all the time you are anxious - and it was only this week you returned to work. Remember that what comes out today is a 'product' of maybe a couple of days ago, and so you are seeing delayed responses in your bowels, even if you are less anxious at the moment. Some people, with very bad IBS have flare-ups for months and months, not saying you will - but to let you know that there is no actual physical damage to the bowels.

Noworryjonny
31-07-19, 18:28
Thanks carys, it’s just accepting it’s just a feeling!! It’s so hard though