PDA

View Full Version : Maxine's cbt progress.

maxine
20-01-05, 16:24
Hello my name is Maxine I suffer from Agoraphobia and panic attacks and as some of you may already know im starting my No more panic CBT on friday the 4th of Febuary.
So i have decided that i shall use this forum to fill you all in on my progress and also i'm working on the basics that at some piont during this im going to need some encouragement,(and of course i can rant freely!!) :D

Well anyway this morning i recieved my cbt course papers,to be honest my first instinct was "how do i get out of this" silly i know ,but after about half an hour i calmed myself down and relised I WILL BE FINE!!
I had to tell myself that about 10 times but it worked.

Oh,for anyone who is intrested my group leader is called Lynne.
And also if the people on my group(you know who you are) want to post here too,please do so i would like to see if you are all feeling the same way about the CBT as i am.

O.k thats enough ranting for one day but i will keep you all updated on my progress.

Thanks for reading this.

Keeep your fingers crossed for me!!! :)

Meg
20-01-05, 17:58
Maxine --

All the very best to you for this . We are with you all the way !!

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

mico
20-01-05, 18:13
Hi Max

Good idea, I'll be looking forward to seeing how you get on. And yes, I'm sure you will be fine.

Good luck

Karen
20-01-05, 18:24
Good luck with this Maxine.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

jill
20-01-05, 18:30
Hi Maxine:D

GOOD LUCK.
:D:D:D:D

LOVE JILLXX

nomorepanic
20-01-05, 19:52
Great idea Maxine cos you have a record here and we can help you and support you along the way.

Good luck!
xx

Nicola

vernon
20-01-05, 23:22
Hi maxine. Good luck. take care, Vernon

Moonstone
24-01-05, 15:33
Hi Maxine,
really interesed to know how you get on, good luck and all the best to you.
blessings
moon
xxx

camilla
24-01-05, 16:30
best of luck maxine
let us know how it goes

camilla

Sarah-Jane
24-01-05, 19:20
good luck im sure you will excel take care and let us know how you get on xxxx

Love Sarah-Jane xxxx

maxine
26-01-05, 20:13
Hi guys,
First of all thank you to those who replied you good wishes are much appreicated.

I'm feeling okish about starting the CBT still a little nervous but I'm hoping that will disappear once it starts.

Anyway i thougt i'd post up what exactly CBT is or at least what the NO more panic CBT involves for those of you who are intrested in possibly doing it at some point so here goes...( get comfy this is going to take a while:D)

Ok first of all you get a form from no more panic you fill it it then return it of course and then your on a 4-6 week waiting list,
It took about a month before i got a phone call from nopanic he gave me a date and time and asked if that was ok for me, once i agreed the notes i am going to need where posted i recieved then a few days later.

Now what was on these notes i hear you ask, well give me a minute i'm going to tell you!! :)

I am doing group cbt so the first page tells me who is going to be on my group there are 6 people including me,all female and all suffering the same type of symptoms, it also tells you how to use the teleconfrencing which sounds quite odd at first to be honest.

As the group runs for 14 weeks there are diffrent tasks for each week it builds up slowly step by step(which is good because i was terrified they were going to tell me to go to the supermarket on my first week!!)
You are also give tips and advice on how to keep the conversation flowing and goals to set yourself so all in all it does't look to scary.

Oh and i had to laugh in the back of your notes it says that the group leader can ,well lead ,if the group does't have a natural leader, the first though that came to my head was i hope i can be quiet enough to not to get allocated the "natural leader" position!!:D

Right thats enough of me rattling on i hope i explained that ok.

Ok bye thanks for listening.

nomorepanic
26-01-05, 20:31
Max

That is great news - I am so pleased that you are doing it.

It will be a BIG help and you WILL succeed at it I know.

Very proud of you mate
x

Nicola

seh1980
28-01-05, 18:37
Good luck Max - I hope it goes well for you!! :D

malificent
28-01-05, 18:51
Hi Maxine

Good luck and i hope it all goes well

Lucy
xxx

maxine
30-01-05, 21:11
Hi All,
Just thought i'd fill you in on next weeks plans, first of all im going to be on the missing list, my computer is broken and needs to be repaired so i won't be online till at least Friday (Im going to be so bored without my chatroom mates!!) So dont worry i am still alive!:D
And I've got a new sofa being delivered on Wednesday and then my CBT starts on Friday.
AAARRRRGGGGHHH next week is going to be stressful if i can control my panic attacks next week then i can do anything!! [8D]

Well here's hoping i get my computer back before my CBT starts.:)

Thanks for all the good wishes guys your support means alot.

Ok then hopefully i'll see you all next weekend.

Take care

Maxine

maxine
07-02-05, 16:46
HHEEEELLLLLOOOOO!!

Well as you can tell im happy!:Dafter a very stressful week im feeling really good ! yippeee.

Well it all started on Monday,my laptop was picked up to be repaired and ive only just got it back but at least it appears to be working perfectly fine again.
Tuesday morning my bloody boiler broke down again, i spend 8 hours in the cold!
Wednesday my new sofa was supposed to arrive but the phoned me at the last minute and said it was going ro be saturday before they could deliver it! arrrggghhh.
Thursday was quiet but i was beginning to get nervous about the CBT.

Friday,( the first day of the rest of my life) I woke up feeling sick and anxious and on top of that i had to move all the furniture out of my front room to make way for the sofa,i thought it would distract me from the impending CBT,(it did't have the disired affect i was just annoyed as well as anxious!)

Well anyway I'll get to the good bit.. after stressing out the whole day and having panic attacks galore it was eventually 8:45pm (why does time seem to ground to a halt when your anxious?)I phoned the number i was given and guess what as soon as i started talking to Lynne our group leader i was perfectly calm!:DI could't believe it, all that panic for nothing i was fine no problems at all.

The first session was really just breaking the ice getting to know a bit about each other ect and they all seem really nice I felt so comftable talking to them the hour past very quickly and now im really looking forward to next week.
I was gutted i did't have my computer so i could tell my mates in chat all about it!(mind you they'll be pleased i dont think i would have shut up!):D

Then Saturday morning at a very unreasonable hour 7am my new sofa arrived,it is the worlds nicest sofa, ok i admit a bit of an overstatment but its my first new one and im so chuffed with it.

So anyway that was my week all in all i was't as panicy as i was expecting and im really pleased ive started with the CBT now its the best thing ive done!:D
Sorry if i rambled on abit there i was getting slightly over excited.

Well now you know im alive and feeling fantastic!
LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!!!!!

Take care all
Maxine

Karen
07-02-05, 17:00
Hi Maxine

Fantastic news! I'm so glad the CBT went well. It was certainly an eventful week for you. I am sure this is going to help you get back on track again.

You've been missed in chat!

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

nomorepanic
07-02-05, 17:33
Max

That is great news! I am so pleased it went well for you.

Sounds like you are going to enjoy the CBT and I bet it will get better over the weeks.

Sounds like you had an eventful week! Good to see you back online again and I bet you will be in the Chat room later lol.

Nicola

FAN
07-02-05, 19:35
hi im glad you enjoyed it andfound yourself more relaxed about it than you expected hope it keeps going well keep us informed

fan x

xlauracx
08-02-05, 20:59
Glad it went well max!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Speak soon tc xxxxxxxxx

~Laulz~

maxine
19-02-05, 20:23
Hiya all,
Well a wee update for you on the CBT, it's going really well, i'm suprised to be honest how much i am enjoying it.

I've been set my first tasks this week they are as follows....

Breathing properly i.e through the nose, in 2-3-4 out 2-3-4.
I've to practise that daily for 5 mins.

Relaxation tape,continue doing the tense and release tape daily.

And last but not least....... i've to stand at the open front door for 5 mins a day no matter how anxious i'm feeling.(so thats going to be interesting).

All in all i'm enjoying the cbt and this week it really gets going.:D

Fingers crossed for me please!

Take care
Maxine

FAN
19-02-05, 20:30
good luck you can do it! keep us posted

fan x

nomorepanic
19-02-05, 21:28
Max

Great news - hope you are well.

Stick at it ok - you are doing great!

x

Nicola

Karen
19-02-05, 22:18
Hi Max

I'm glad you are enjoying it and it is going well.

You're doing great. Keep at it!

Karen

Mike26uk
19-02-05, 23:37
Hi Max
We've spoken a few times in chat and I think it is great that you are prepared to share your CBT experience with everyone.

I recognise the breathing exercises. Amazing how relaxing they actually are.

best wishes

no one ever died wishing they had spent more time at work

seh1980
20-02-05, 20:08
I'm glad that it's going well for you Max :D

maxine
21-02-05, 13:37
Help.... crisis occuring here.

I've been doing my cbt tasks and i was okish with standing at the open door so i decided i could go a bit further, i was feeling all cocky![8D]

Anyway i took a wee walk up my street and i was alrightish(apart from the very wobbly legs and the overwellming urge to leg it back home) when i was accosted by my bleeding neighbour who just happens to be a neighbour from hell and she decided she was in a good mood and wanted to talk to me, so i against my better judgement and being the poilite person that i am ,did't want to tell her to bugger off (she does't know about my phobia) had to stand there like an idiot trying despertly hard to keep myself together while she prattled on about her herion addict son, it was hell and after about 5 mins i could't control my panic any more and because i could't think of any decent excuse apart from (wait for it you'r going to laugh your self silly)I told her i was in ill with food poisoning and i needed to go to the toilet right now and i was sorry but needed to go and then i ran off and go home as quick as possible.

Now if it's not bad enough that my cow of a neighbour thinks i have a very loose bowels, and am also impolite, but the reason for my mini crisis is that i'm wondering if im going to be ok going out as long as no one talks to me, which kind of defeats the purpose of my whole getting myself together stuff.
I'm so annoyed with myself that i let that stupid women see me in a state.
HELP... sorry to ramble on, i just had a rubbish time and i'm in need of some reassurance.

P.s please excuse the terrible spelling, blame my loose bowels..[xx(]
Maxine

FAN
21-02-05, 16:09
your post amused me anyway............dont worry about how it turned out focus on what you did, you pushed the limits and got further than you thought you would so next time it will get easier you can tell yourself "i did this once i can do it again"...........good luck and keep going

fan x

clickaway
21-02-05, 17:13
Maxine,

Don't worry what she said or thought of you ~ just think of yourself at the moment.

Perhaps your neighbour was just being kind ~ teaching you not to be too cocky when you open your front door! :D

Seriously, you will do great, and I think we are all guilty of being over keen sometimes. Its difficult to get the balance right.

Onwards and upwards......

Ray

mico
21-02-05, 18:08
Hi Max

Don't worry about it, you done well. Sometimes we try our best only to be confronted by situations that make us feel like we aren't doing very well at all. It's an illusion, you're doing great! Don't let it get to you. If you feel a little knocked back by it all, then just go back to standing at your door for 5 mins, small steps. But if you feel up to it, try your walk again tomorrow, just remember to be positive about it whatever you do - and I know you can do that.

Good luck

mico

nomorepanic
21-02-05, 20:42
Max

Things like this happen I am afraid but don't let it knock you back. Yes you will meet people whilst you are out and yes some of them will talk to you. BUT - you didn't die, you felt rubbish but that is all. Nothing bad happened to you apart from Mr Panic coming to visit you but he is always there waiting to pounce.

PLEASE please do it again tomorrow. Don't let this beat you ok - it only gets easier with practice and you need to stick at it.

Big hug to make you feel better mate.
x

Nicola

Mike26uk
21-02-05, 22:34
I guess that God can be a ******* sometimes LOL! Just when you summon up the courage to do something brave a do-good neighbour decides to make herself welcome.

I agree with the above comments that you should forget about what she might think and concentrate on yourself. The fact that you had the guts to go further than planned shows you've got the courage to fight this thing. I think you should also be proud that you decided to be polite to her and didn't just run.

Good luck

no one ever died wishing they had spent more time at work

maxine
22-02-05, 12:37
Thanks guys, i was needing help to put things in perspective, i will attempt to give it another go today, and i'll let you know how i get on(hopefully that woman will stay in her house!):D

Thank you for cheering me up.

take care
Maxine

mojo5
22-02-05, 15:32
Hi Max

Sounds like you're doing great.

a) You went up the street
b) You did more - ie talking to your neighbour
c) You did it for 5 minutes ( even though that was not part of the plan )

You get 3 Big ticks as far as I'm concerned. Well done.

Keep up the good work - you're doing great.

Best Wishes.
Mo

henri
22-02-05, 19:56
hey maxine,
i think you've done amazingly well, don't even give that woman a second thought. hope you gave it another go today, maybe see you in chat later.
take care,
henri x

maxine
26-02-05, 14:17
Hi everyone,
First of thank you for your continuing encouragement it's really helping.

Last night i had my fourth session of cbt and i was set another task, i was to go to the top of my street again, but only go as far as i felt i could handle.

Well the brilliant news is that i only got in 5 minutes ago after i went all the way around my estate,(which is a quiet large) with people around saying good afternoon to me, i was jittery but not half as bad as i expected.:D

I've got renewed confidence, i can't believe i done it, god i'm so proud of myself.. i can do it, i really can.:D

I have to recommed anyone with agoraphobia does the No More Panic cbt just 2 weeks ago i could't get over my front door, now i'm walking around my estate....Im so happy i think i'm going to burst.

Well i just wanted to share my news with you all, thank you i could't have done this without your support.

I DONE IT!!!!!!!
YIPEEE...:D

Thank you all

Take care
Maxine

nomorepanic
26-02-05, 14:44
Maxine

That is such great news and great progress!:D

A big well done to you and I hope you continue to do it again and again.

Big cheer for you[:P][Yeah!]

xx

Nicola

Meg
26-02-05, 17:06
Hi Maxine,

You are doing so well indeed.

Daily walks now . How great is that !!

Meg
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

FAN
26-02-05, 18:51
brilliant going maxine keep it up

fan x

anna_mcgranna
26-02-05, 21:07
nice one max! u r making great progress, keep it up and u might get 2 gold stars next week!

x banana x

Karen
27-02-05, 00:09
Well done Max. Great progress.

Karen

lainey
27-02-05, 09:13
Well done Maxine, what a huge achievement, you must be feeling so proud of yourself.
Keep up the good work.

Take care

Elaine x

mojo5
27-02-05, 09:37
Hi Max

FANTASTIC to hear your news !!
Keep up the good work.

It's great to hear stories of success, it gives others hope too.

Well Done Max
Mo.
x

maxine
28-02-05, 16:39
Hi all,
As you know i've been doing wee walks since Saturday and it's been going okish.
Anyway yesterday i walked to my corner shop and managed to stay calm I never went in i only walked past it.
So today i thought i walk round and go get the newspaper when i set off i was alright but the nearer i got to the shop knowing that i wanted to go in it the more i paniced , i freaked out ( my breathing technic went out the window , my mind went blank) and i could't make myself go in so i just walked past it .

Now im feeling a little deflated and more annoyed than anything else but i will try again tomorrow, plus because i've been doing more walking in the last few days than i've done for about 2 years i have red raw
blisters on my heels which are hurting like hell when i'm walking.

So if anyone has any tips on how to survive blisters and a way for me to focus to get myself in that shop it would be much appreicated.

Sorry for the rant by i was in need of some venting!:(

Thank you

Maxine

FAN
28-02-05, 17:13
hi dont feel too down about not getting into the shop at least you went to it so are continuing your success,and im sure it will come with time one day you will surprise yourself and be in there before you know it im not sure about preventing the blisters i just stick elastoplast on after i get them lol

fan x

Meg
28-02-05, 17:42
scholls do some second skin that you put on your feet before you go out and the shoes rub against that and not your feet, great way of geting used to new hiking boots . Alternatively there are something like gel plasters that are marketed for blisters and I see people using but no personal experience of these.

Keep doing a walk past until thats fairly easy and comfortable - then just aim to go in, walk towards the newspapers or something prominant and walk out again. No need to stop and buy or talk the first few times, repeat daily.

Meg

Karen
28-02-05, 18:21
Hi Maxine

You are doing so well. Don't feel bad or annoyed with yourself because you didn't go into the shop. It isn't long since you wouldn't even go out at all.

Keep going for your daily walks and take is slowly. There is no need to push to do things too quickly. You will get there.

Karen

maxine
01-03-05, 19:53
Hi everyone,
Just thought i'd update you on my progress, first of i've fixed the how to walk with blisters issue......I wore flipflops and socks, i did't half look daft however i was't trying to make a fashion statement. (just as well):D

As for the walk i done today i was really rattled, far more than i was the first time i'd went out as i was terrified about having another panic attack
the good news is that i still went the bad news the shop is a little further away at the moment but i'll build back up to it again.

Thanks for your help.
Take care
Maxine

Meg
01-03-05, 19:58
Thats is totally normal Maxine !

A few forward days and then a bit of a wobble day or two.

Tomorrow remind yourlsef hwo well you've done so far and keep a mantra in mind for when you get to a hard bit.. also make sure you keep a reward in mind too.

Meg

mojo5
01-03-05, 21:15
Keep working at it Max you're doing great.

Best Wishes
Mojo

FAN
02-03-05, 10:50
hi maxine great that your carrying on regardless of your footwear lol (hope you havent got snow today)
keep pushing you can do it

fan x

lainey
02-03-05, 11:34
Keep at it Max, you are doing so well

Take care

Elaine x

maxine
02-03-05, 15:17
Hi all,
Firstly sorry for bashing your ears with my continuing rants(sometimes good, sometimes bad)

I went for 2 walks today (still wearing flip-flops and socks:D) and i was a lot calmer than yesterday, it is a misrable day here, chucking it down with rain and freezing cold but i'm finding that if i wear a jumper i start to get panicy i'm not sure why i think it's because i'm getting too hot, so i've been doing my walks in trousers a t-shirt and flip flops! ( god knows what the neighbours are thinking of me now) i still have't managed to go into the shop but i'll get there eventually, the main thing is that i've gone a walk, however small everyday since Saturday and i will continue to do so no matter how panicy i'm feeling.

I am hoping that with-in a couple of weeks i will become more confident in my area thus expanding my "comfort zone".:D

Thank you again everyone who has taken the time to respond and read my progress( and nicola for giving me a kick up the back-side every now and again) your support means more than i can put into words.

I dont think i would have made this start if i had't have found No More Panic it is a fantastic organisation with angels in place of staff and members.

I want to donate some money i dont have a lot but i feel like i would like to give something back to a place that has given me so much.

Let me know how to donate to NMP and i gladly will.:D

Thank you again
Take care
Maxine

Meg
02-03-05, 15:33
Maxine

Firstly its great and fantastic progress for you that despite a blip you are continuing your walks out. That is the way success lies so onwards ....

Thansk for your offer of donation. Each donation of whatever size does help so much especially with the new server having just gone in.

On the Home page at the bottom left there is a button saying donate now . That takes you to Paypal which is an easy online money handler. Alternatively , if you catch Nic in Chat she will give you her details to send a cheque to.

Thats really very kind of you. Thank you.

Meg

nomorepanic
02-03-05, 18:42
Max

Hiya mate. You are doing so well and I am very proud of you and your progress. It doesn't matter how far you go each day it just matters that you are doing it and you are certainly doing it.[^]

Don't worry about the neighbours thinking you look odd - maybe they won't talk to you then lol!;)

Stick at it and I will continue to kick you up the backside too!:)

Many thanks for the offer of a donation. Every little helps and the sort of things it pays for is:

1) Web hosting fees

2) Chat room fees

3) Stationery and postage costs for sending out flyers and leaflets

4) Server hosting fees

As Meg says there is a "donation" link on the page or an actual page called "Support this site".

Many thanks in advance.

Catch you in chat later ok?
xx

Nicola

FAN
02-03-05, 18:49
HI, glad to hear your still getting out ,............ and braving the weather it would be too easy to use that as an escuse for not going im sure, but your sticking at it ......keep it up

fan x

maxine
03-03-05, 13:43
Hi everyone,
I done it, went in to the shop that is.
I bought a newspaper The sun( worst paper ever but it was the closest one) I was nervous as hell but i done it. :D:D:D

And i also remember what Meg said about rewarding myself so i bought a bar of choclate too ( Galaxy Caramel) yummm there is nothing like chocolate to cheer you up!

I was so pleased with myself i skipped home, eating chocolate! :D

The shop is no longer my enemy!

God i'm getting good at this whole conquer your fears thing! :D:D

Take care
Maxine

P.s thanks for letting me know how to donate I dont get paid till next week but i will definately send NMP some money.

jill
03-03-05, 13:55
[Wow!]Maxine you are making such progress,
A big WELL DONE for facing your fears.
Keep up the good work.

TAKE CARE LOVE JILLXX

When you are afraid, do the thing your are afraid of
and soon you will lose your fear of it.

nomorepanic
03-03-05, 21:08
Well done Max - poor choice of paper lol but who cares!!

Yes you must reward yourself each time - even if it is just a big pat on your own back!

Don't worry about the donation Max - it is kind thought but you are not working and need all the money you can get. I appreciate the offer however.

What next eh? There is no stopping you now!

xx

Nicola

Meg
03-03-05, 21:25
Maxine - thats is truly brilliant and such strong progress !!

Do it every day now . Don't have to buy something - just visit and pop in ..

Meg

FAN
03-03-05, 21:33
great news maxine....keep it up will be no stopping you

fan x

Karen
03-03-05, 21:34
Well done Max. You are doing so well.

Karen

maxine
04-03-05, 19:12
Hi Guys,
Done the shop again today this time i bought a proper newspaper! ( The Guardian is my usual one) not half as nervous as i was yesterday i have my cbt tonight so i can't wait to tell them how i got on.:D

Nicola i'm not that skint! ( i would't have offered to donate anything if i could't afford it) I'm not working true but i have a keen eye for share prices. ( no your not getting any tips) LOL:D

Take care

Maxine

Meg
04-03-05, 19:14
Maxine - thats fab - again .

'not half as nervous as i was yesterday' Brilliant news

Thinking we should move this to sucesses rather than being hidden down here !!

Meg

nomorepanic
04-03-05, 19:46
Max

Thanks mate I appreciate it.

Pleased to hear you bought a real newspaper today for a change!!

Hope CBT goes well.

Nicola

FAN
04-03-05, 22:31
great news again max keep it up

fan x

Karen
04-03-05, 23:26
Well done again Max.

Karen

maxine
05-03-05, 20:20
Thanks guys you all have been brilliant over the last few months.

Meg, keep me hidden down here till i'm walking about in my local high street at least that way, loads of people wont see me fall flat!

Nic no problem,i want to donate it will be my pleasure.

CBt went well i've got 2 gold stars! :D:D lol

Take care

Maxine

maxine
08-03-05, 16:22
Hi all,
I feel rubbish today and i'm not sure why, i went for my walk as ususal went to the shop bought the paper ect and even went a bit further, but i was stressed out the whole way.

When i woke up this morning i just felt really anxoius,i've been a bit weird for the past few days,i just have't felt myself at all, now to make matters worse i've now found out that there is a fair chance i'll have someone staying in my house this weekend and i freaking out at the prospect of having to play host when i'm just getting myself sorted out.

ARGH I'm stressing and panicing and general fighting the urge to curl up under my duvet and staying there till i feel better.

What's going on with me?

Maxine

Meg
08-03-05, 16:59
Your subconcious is worried about the up and coming unusual events and is reacting .. sometimes we do just wake up unsettled our brains are active at night too and can shake us up. Blip - ignore it and it will pass but ensure you take care of yourlsef extra well. lots of lavender etc

good on you for continuing anyway.

Meg

JPF
08-03-05, 17:24
Exactly as Meg says Max - it's a blip - don't pay it too much mind.. You're making excellent progress, keep it up and don't let any space monkeys near your PC !! ;)

Hang on in there our kid and remember that you'll get through this and feel better soon!

J

FAN
08-03-05, 19:58
hi max dont worry bout having an off day you still made it to the shop keep going

fan x

nomorepanic
08-03-05, 20:16
Max

We did say to take it easyt as there may be bad days too and this is just one of them. It is NOT a setback or anything like that. Just write it off as a bad day and don't dwell on it ok?

You are doing great and I would expect some little blips along the way, it is how you view it that is important so just write it off ok!

Catch you later in chat
xxxx

Nicola

maxine
09-03-05, 14:34
Hi all,
You were right it was just a blip, i woke up this morning and i was back to my ususal optimistic self, and went for my walk only this time i got half way to the high street and bought the paper at a diffrent shop, so i'm still improving, still anxoius about the vistors that are due but i'll deal with it as i always do, with a smile and a cold flannel!:D:D:D

Thank you i was just feeling sorry for myself, you helped me put things in perspective.

Take care
Maxine [:P]

Meg
09-03-05, 14:41
Way to go Maxine !

You're doing so very well.

Meg

Karen
09-03-05, 14:45
Well done Maxine. More great progress.

Karen

FAN
09-03-05, 18:14
keep it up maxine :D

fan x

lainey
09-03-05, 18:27
Hi Maxine

Glad you are feeling better today, yesterday was just a blip and we all get them.
You are doing so well with your walks, you deserve to do well as you are working so hard to achieve your goals.
Good luck for the weekend, p,enty of rescue remedy !!!

Take care

Elaine x:D:D:D

nomorepanic
09-03-05, 20:21
Max

go girl go!!
x

Nicola

maxine
17-03-05, 19:39
Hi all,
Sorry i haven't posted in the last week it's been madness here, since the my last post i've still been going out everyday to the local shop and i am almost on the high street i've been walking to it, all i need to do is cross a busy road but the traffic lights are leaving me a little nervous i don't want to get trapped on the other side and have to wait till they go red again so i've took to timing them so i don't get stuck(not sure if thats a good thing or not).
On top of all that i've been dealing with my guests ARGH i have been so stressed out all week, i had to give up my bed so i had no where to escape to (i don't work well without my own space) infact i was using my walks to relax, they went on Monday and took me till Tuesday to chill out, and the worse bit is i may be dealing with more this weekend!

So all in all not a great week for me, i couldn't have coped without the chatroom you lot always cheer me up, so thank you.:D

I've got cbt tomorrow night i'm hoping it will help me focus again.

Sorry for going on a bit.

Take care
Maxine x

nomorepanic
17-03-05, 20:02
Max

You are still COPING so that is progress. You aren't in here pulling your hair out so keep it up ok!!

Nicola

FAN
17-03-05, 21:26
your doing great max even with all the extra hassles your still getting on with it keep it up:D

fan x

clickaway
18-03-05, 14:14
Glad you are progressing Max, and I can really relate to the crossing lights thing.

I get tense when stuck in traffic when the lights are red, just because I have nothing to stimulate me.

Good luck tonight and look forward to seeing you in chat as ever.

take care 'petal',

Ray

maxine
19-03-05, 15:22
Hiya Everyone,
I've had a great day i went for the paper as usual (that has been my job since i started going out) only this time i went further and crossed the lights all 3 sets of them, i also waited in a queue in another shop on the high street ( i hate queues) i was squashed in between sweaty smelly ppl had to wait for the lights to change the best bit being i didn't panic at all!:D:D

Rescue Remedy works, and i'm now on my high street! Yippe

I just wanted to share my news with you all i'm dead pleased with myself. :D:D

Take care

Maxine

mico
19-03-05, 15:32
Well done Max, it's difficult, but you seem to be coping great! [8D]

tracyp584
19-03-05, 15:38
Well done maxine,
You are doing really well. Keep it up!

Take care

tracy x x

maxine
19-03-05, 15:50
Thanks Guys

I'm feeling so confident at the minute , like i can do anything.

The old Maxine is back with a vengance , i've missed out on so much i want it all now!:D:D (i know Nic take it slow)

I'm sitting here music blaring, singing and swaying to the music, I'm a happy girl.:D

Karen
19-03-05, 15:58
You are doing so well Max. Well done!

Karen

xlauracx
19-03-05, 16:53
YAY go max! [:O] WOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxx

~Laulz~

maxine
23-03-05, 19:47
Hiya Everyone,
I've made more progress today i've been out 3 times which considering for the last few weeks i've only been going out once a day is progress in it's self,however thats not the best bit as you know it's been a big deal for me to get to my local high street but this afternoon i went a lot further i took my dogs a walk in Battersea park which is a big park and was one of my scary places i hadn't been to it in over 2 years.
I'm not sure why i decided i could do it today but i did and i walked a fair bit round it i was tense and a little anxious and half way round i had a panic attack but i sat down, done my breathing and i done a little meditation and calmed down again, and continued my walk so i was in the park for over an hour!:D:D:D

So i have gained a few things out of today firstly if i have a panic attack it's not the end of the world and i can bring myself back down to a normal level and secondly i can go alot further than i thought i was able to.

I've had a really great day, very positive it's really helped boost my confidence that extra bit.:D

I cant believe that a month ago i couldn't get over my front door, it's suprising how quickly you can achieve something once you've put your mind to it.

I'm a happy girl.:D:D

Take care
Maxine x

nomorepanic
23-03-05, 20:41
Nice one Max

Well done again - keep it up girl you are doing so well.

Xxxx

Nicola

Karen
24-03-05, 00:33
Another big achievement for you Max. Well done.

Karen

Meg
29-03-05, 22:49
Maxine ,

You have done so very well .

We are all tremendously proud of you and your perserence and hard work in overcoming this .

Big Congratulations and hope you rewarded yourself well.

Meg

della
30-03-05, 18:47
WELL DONE MAX

thats it keep going out NO matter what....dont let it beat you girl,
give yourself a well earned treat.

take care

della

maxine
30-03-05, 20:21
Hiya Everyone,
Thank you for your well wishes they are much appreciated.

It's a month this Saturday since i started going out before that i hadn't left my house in 2 years now i'm wandering about all over the place shops, parks, Clapham Junction!

I feel so much better about everything my confidence continues to grow and although i'm still edgy before i go , once out i calm down and i'm now finding i'm actually enjoying my little wanders.

The only down side to this is all the money i hadn't been spending over the last few years has now got a rather large dent in it, it's so nice to go shopping for clothes in stores rather than online, i think i'm becoming a shopaholic! (it's my reward for doing well, thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it!):D:D

I'm a far happier girl than i was a month ago, there's a fair chance that if i hadn't have found this site i'd still be sitting at home.

So thanks again all of you who have taken the time to read and reply to these posts.

Take care

Maxine

Meg
30-03-05, 20:25
Maxine

Totally brilliant. I'm so so so thrilled for you.

nomorepanic
30-03-05, 20:33
Wow Max

You are a star!!

Big hug and well done to you - I am so pleased to see how you have turned this around!

Nicola

kate
30-03-05, 20:58
Hi Max,

What great progress in such a short space of time.

Well done.

Love Kate xx

maxine
02-04-05, 15:49
Hiya everyone,
Well it's offically 1 month that i've been going out Yippeee!!!!!!!:D:D:D (can you tell i'm chuffed?)

I'm a little worried about next week i have my partners nephew coming on Thursday to stay the weekend and it's playing on my mind a bit ,he doesn't really know much about my anxiety and i'm stressing out that he's going to ask me to come out with them and all though i'm going out now i'm still only going solo or with the dogs, i haven't been out with my partner yet i think it's a control thing when i'm on my own i decide what i'm doing with others i'm not in control.
So the thing i'm wondering is do i just say to him i'm dealing with this my own way and i'm not ready to be hitting the pub or do i hide it and just say no thanks?
I know if i go out and about with them yet it's going to be too much for me i'm just not ready thats why going with them is not an option.

Plus you know what i'm like with people in the house i seem to go into panic overload i'm always the same but at least the actual panic doesn't last too long after an hour or so i calm down.

So the question i'm asking is should i just be honest and tell him about the cbt and things?

Maxine x

nomorepanic
02-04-05, 16:34
Max

I always believe in honesty being the best policy. You don't have to go into great detail but just say that you have a few issues at the moment that you are working through and you are doing well but don't want to push things just yet.

You never know, you may even feel like going out when the time comes.

Hopefully it won't be an issue and maybe if it is suggested that you go out to a pub, you could try and go along on the understanding that you can leave at any time with no fuss.

Good luck mate
x

Nicola

della
04-04-05, 13:18
hi max

hows the cbt going are you still getting out...Keep at it max beat itDONT let it beat you.

take care

[8D]

zena
05-04-05, 14:03
Hi Maxine,
Just reading through your posts right from the beginning.
Well done on the great achievement you have done.
It takes great strength to do what you have done.

Yes thats the only problem when you've beeen indoors for a while once you go back out the money seems to go...but...I have always been told that if you go to a different place always get yourself something small to remind you of what and where you have gone..If this makes sense.

Just remember small steps. Do what you think you are ready for....go and enjoy your new found freedom..It's great.

with good wishes

Zena

maxine
07-04-05, 17:15
Hiya all,
It's an hour before he's due to arrive so i thought i'd distract myself with the pc i'm suprisingly calm at the minute but i can feel the nerves rising again .

I have decided to take your advice Nic and just tell him that way when i'm out with them at least i wont look a total idiot and have to leg it home in a panic.

Argh i hate this , i'll be ok i know i will i am just nervous thats all once he's here i'll be fine. ( hopefully)

I'm wondering if a glass of wine will help calm the nerves or make me worse....decisions, decisions!:D:D
Well heres hoping that tonight i'll find all that stress was for nothing.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote"> della Posted - 04 April 2005 : 13:18:33
hi max

hows the cbt going are you still getting out
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Hiya Della ,
Yeah i'm still going out gradually getting further i'm still only sticking my head in Asda's though i'm thinking about making my first trip inside it about 12am! lol
As far as they cbt goes it's going well we're on thoughts now i've been told i should write them all down in my diary Hmmmm i've filled half a book in a week and i have now realised just how much rubbish i think about!

Hiya Zena,

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">zena Posted - 05 April 2005 : 14:03:41
Hi Maxine,
Just reading through your posts right from the beginning.
Well done on the great achievement you have done.
It takes great strength to do what you have done.

Yes thats the only problem when you've beeen indoors for a while once you go back out the money seems to go...but...I have always been told that if you go to a different place always get yourself something small to remind you of what and where you have gone..If this makes sense.

Just remember small steps. Do what you think you are ready for....go and enjoy your new found freedom..It's great.

with good wishes

Zena

Thank you for your post and i think i may start collecting things from wherever i go it's a good idea i never thought of it but yes your right it does make sense.

As for the money i've put a curb on my spending otherwise i'm going to be skint very quickly! :D:D
I went into a bit of overdrive in the shops, i think it was purely because i haven't been able to do it for so long, well my excuse is that i needed to update my wardrobe!!

Thankyou all for your support i couldn't have done it without you.

Take care

Maxine xx

nomorepanic
07-04-05, 19:37
Good luck Max - we are here if you need us!

Nicola

zena
08-04-05, 13:41
You my girl are doing the right things. Just read your posts all over agian.
Can totally relate to what you are doing. I spent 18 months in doors and gradually done what you have done.

Can drive now all be it not that far on my own...can go out for walks on my own which at the moment is bliss....The best thing of all though for me is that I don't have to relie on hubby to much anymore. As in your words the old Zena is coming back.

Just one more thing.....don't beat yourself up if you come across one day you can't do the thing that you done the day before. If that makes sense.

Take care honey and again well done

with good wishes

Zena

maxine
12-04-05, 13:09
Hiya Everyone,
Well thats it ,he's gone the newphew that is, and all in all i had a nice weekend.
I suprised myself how calm i was and although i was very nervous on Thursday by Friday i had chilled out again, it's the first time in a very long time that i've been ok with someone in the house.
It turned out a rather enjoyable few days, i had a laugh and i even managed to hold sereval conversations with him and the best bit is i never had a panic attack all weekend!!
I even managed to go to the pub on Saturday afternoon with them and although i never stayed long the point is i went i did say to him before i went that if i got to edgy i'd leave and i didn't want any fuss made of it, but because i told him i was ok ish and stayed about an hour.

Do me a favour next time i'm here ranting about being nervous just tell me to shh and remind me of this weekend!!:D

I'm very proud of myself, it's show me how much i've changed over the last month, before i was going out i could never have relaxed with him in the house.

Life is getting better i'm nearing "normality" sort of! :D:D

Take care

Maxine

Meg
12-04-05, 14:54
Maxine

Fantastic - more progress !!

Congratulations

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

mojo5
26-04-05, 09:09
Well Done Max !!

Great to hear your progress.
You've obviously been working hard at this and now you're getting the results you deserve.

Ok, so you spent a few quid on retail therapy.... don't beat yourself up - You've earned it I say.

Keep working at it and I know you will have this thing beat.

TC.
Mojo:D

pips
26-04-05, 12:05
Hi Maxine :D

I just wanted to say A HUGE WELL DONE TO YOU! :D :D

I have just read all your progress from the start to present day and you have done so very well[Yeah!] [^]

Give yourself a huge pat on the back (not to hard though as it might hurt [Ugh] LOL)

I have done the 121 telephone course with NO PANIC and i found that very benificial but this was only 6 weeks so I think I will try the group one also as this is a bit longer.

Glad you are doing so well Max! Keep up the good work! :) [Yeah!]

Take Care ;)

Love PIP'S XX :D

maxine
26-04-05, 20:26
Thank you...:D:D

I've only got 3 weeks of cbt left and my entire life has changed in 8 weeks, i'm no longer housebound infact it's hard going to get me to sit still indoors now lol.
Pips you should really give the group therapy a go not only is it 14 weeks long it's also great to know you've got the backing of very supportive people behind you.
My cbt task this week was to make controlled panic attacks( the same thing mojo had to do) and guess what...i can't make myself panic lol I haven't had a panic attack for at least 2 weeks, i never thought about until i was trying to bring one on, i just gave up in the end, i'm just too relaxed to panic anymore! :D:D

So alls great at the minute my next step is getting a job or going to college I haven't decided what i want to do yet , but the notion of travelling on a world trip has captured my imagination at the minute but we'll see how it goes, it might be a little optimistic at the moment but at least it's a possibility now.

If any of you are suffering from Aoraphobia please don't give up hope it CAN be beaten.

Again thank you all for your support i could never have done it without you (i'm not to sure is the general population of London is going to thank you for letting me loose on them lol)

Take care
Maxine:D

Meg
26-04-05, 21:20
You have done so well Maxine.

We can actively support , encourage, help, guide and be with you in spirit - but you have had to do it all ..

Many congratulations indeed.

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Karen
26-04-05, 22:42
Hi Maxine

You've made such great progress and put in such a lot of hard work to get where you are now. Well done.

There are now so many options open to you and you can take your time to decide where you want to go from here.

Karen

doddy
26-04-05, 22:47
maxine,

what you have acheived is sensational, just read this post from beginning to end as each pager turned i was gripped to see how you had progressed and i must say this is a truly great acheivement.

you will just go from strength to strength to strength from here im sure...........you get out there and spend as you deserve it!!!

so pleased for you.

doddy

maxine
24-05-05, 21:26
Hi Everyone,
Firstly sorry i've been on the missing list for the last few weeks, alot has happened since i last posted.
Last week i finished my CBT and so far everything has been great, it's been 5 weeks since i've had a panic attack, i'm still going out gradually going further and further away.
I even went on a bus and yeah i was ****** terrified however i done it and i'll give it another bash until i'm ok with it.
So all in all i have got myself a life, it's very strange, i missed being "normal".

I have the tools to handle most of the things Mr Panic is going to throw at me , but i'll be fine and i'll never allow myself to go down that road again.

Thank you each and ever one of you who have either replied to these posts or listened to my endless rambling in the chatroom i couldn't have done this without you.
I'm eternally greatful to all of you.

Thank you

Maxine xxx

nomorepanic
24-05-05, 21:27
Hey Max

Great news all round. So pleased to hear that things are back on track and please don't leave us will you!!

Big hug to you [^]

xxx

Nicola

Meg
24-05-05, 21:57
Maxine

Well done on all your progress... Lovely to see you missing knowing you're out and about.

Meg

Karen
24-05-05, 22:52
Hi Maxine

Glad to hear things are going so well for you.

Well done for all the hard work and determination you put in.

Karen

SB
25-05-05, 07:56
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Everyone,
Firstly sorry i've been on the missing list for the last few weeks, alot has happened since i last posted.
Last week i finished my CBT and so far everything has been great, it's been 5 weeks since i've had a panic attack, i'm still going out gradually going further and further away.
I even went on a bus and yeah i was ****** terrified however i done it and i'll give it another bash until i'm ok with it.
So all in all i have got myself a life, it's very strange, i missed being "normal".

I have the tools to handle most of the things Mr Panic is going to throw at me , but i'll be fine and i'll never allow myself to go down that road again.

Thank you each and ever one of you who have either replied to these posts or listened to my endless rambling in the chatroom i couldn't have done this without you.
I'm eternally greatful to all of you.

Thank you

Maxine xxx

<div align="right">Originally posted by maxine - 24 May 2005 : 12:26:11</div id="right">

Hi Maxine,

I love hearing others success stories with cbt. It gave me my life back after struggling with panic anxiety and depression for years. The key for me has been to keep using the tools several times a week to get them even further ingrained than they were at the end of my group and I would encourage you to do the same. I also re-read the two books we used in my group (Been there, done that? Do This! by Sam Obitz and Feeling Good by David Burns) as a refresher on what I have learned. Keep using the tools and you will make even more progress than you have already if you are anything like me!

pips
25-05-05, 11:34
Hi Maxine,

Well done you are doing so well amd making such great progress! I love the positivity you have it's Ace keep up the good work you have done so well!

I will definately give the telephone recovery group a try thanks.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

mico
25-05-05, 13:14
Well done Max!

mico

Jrank
01-06-05, 22:54
Thank you very much for posting all these notes as I am in a cbt program in school and reading all this has been really helpful. Thanks!

maxine
01-06-05, 23:11
Thanks guys for all the good wishes.....much appreicated but gawd are you trying to make me cry? lol

I'm getting all teary eyed here...

Ok i aint posting anymore until the morning otherwise i will cry lol

clickaway
01-06-05, 23:14
I'm so happy you've made all this progress so speedily, Max.

World trip, eh? Careful!

Hey, you have been a wonderful inspiration to many of us as well you know...

Keep up the good work!

Ray

Don't wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you've got to make yourself.--Alice Walker

henri
01-06-05, 23:43
hey max,
i only just read your CBT thread (i know, i know, i'm so rude!) and i just wanted to say that you have made such fantastic progress, this thread should be top of the success stories section. well done!
henri x

henri
01-06-05, 23:48
max, i just noticed the thread IS in the success stories bit. i'm such a div!

maxine
03-06-05, 12:02
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">clickaway Posted - 01 June 2005 : 23:14:47
I'm so happy you've made all this progress so speedily, Max.

World trip, eh? Careful!

Hey, you have been a wonderful inspiration to many of us as well you know...

Keep up the good work!

Ray

Awwww thanks Ray.....and yeah world trip, ok not yet but just you wait give me a while and you'll all be getting a e-card from Peru lol.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">
henri Posted - 01 June 2005 : 23:43:55
hey max,
i only just read your CBT thread (i know, i know, i'm so rude!) and i just wanted to say that you have made such fantastic progress, this thread should be top of the success stories section. well done!
henri x

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote"> [quote]henri Posted - 01 June 2005 : 23:48:17
max, i just noticed the thread IS in the success stories bit. i'm such a div! </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Hey thanks Henri...i was lurking in the Misc bit for ages..Meg said i should move it.....which is probably why you never seen it lol

Thanks for all the nice things everyone's been saying....i aint used to people being this nice to me! lol

seh1980
03-06-05, 13:21
[Wow!] Max what amazing progress you have made!! Well done to you!! :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Meg
03-06-05, 14:47
Bring on that e-card !!

clickaway
03-06-05, 15:31
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">i aint used to people being this nice to me! lol</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Why's that then? lol

Ray

Don't wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you've got to make yourself.--Alice Walker

maxine
03-06-05, 17:15
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Why's that then? lol

Ray</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Grrr because they usually don't have the stamina to keep up with me!

A bit like yourself really lol;)

Wannabeloved85
27-08-06, 23:54
its the first time ive ever properly read this thread. Im almost crying! the progress made here isnt unbelievable, its... WOW!!! IT WORKS!! and i know why, its cos you have to put the effort in, simple i hear you say, yeah i guess lol only it took me like 4 years to just work that out!
what a success story, a true inspiration.
Becci x

Meggles
12-11-07, 05:04
Hi Guys,

I realise this thread was started 2 years ago, and hasn't had a reply in a year, but I just HAD to post.

I hope maxine is still around and can see my post.

I just want to say a huge thankyou to Maxine for her journey.

I dont suffer from agoraphobia - I can go out, so I'm not as severe as you were Maxine, but reading this thread from start to finish, every time you posted I was more and more in tears.

You've made me realise that if someone who couldn't even leave their house, can get better.... then I definitely can.

I cried many tears of joy for you, and even said a quiet "YAY!" a few times.

Well done to you a million times over.. you're an inspiration. :hugs:

maxine
15-11-07, 20:08
I am still around occasionally.

Thank you very much for your kind words reminding me of this thread to be honest i'd completely forgotten about it!

I''ve just re-read it all from start to finish and my god that whole time of my life feels a million miles away.
I've been having a rough couple of weeks , feeling anxious and panicing a few times it scared me as i know what happened the last time.
I'm dealing with it, i'm not hiding in my house and i'm still working so i'll be fine i know i will.

Life is so different now I don't recognise the person i was then.

Thank you again for helping me put the last few weeks into perspective.:hugs:

mico
15-11-07, 21:20
Well done Max, mate.

Bill
16-11-07, 02:19
IT WORKS!! and i know why, its cos you have to put the effort in.

So true Becci. So many people seem to forget that therapy only works if the sufferer is willling and prepared to follow what they're advised.

It can take a Long time for therapy to work on deep seated problems and often a sufferer will need help to tackle them whereas other problems are much more easy to treat and sometimes the sufferer is able to learn how to cope themselves.:hugs:

PUGLETMUM
16-11-07, 09:47
:yesyes: hi, im going to read this whole post later when ive got time, it looks good to me, because ive had 15 weeks of cbt and it has worked wonders, but i still have a long way to go tackling my fear of panicking, but like you other guys say, the only way to get better is to be prepared to feel the WORST, not use any safety crutches and let the panic go down on its own:yesyes: this is what im currently working on, so later on today ill be back to read this whole post as it sounds like an amazing success story! well done maxine:winks:

SarahSRE
16-11-07, 09:52
Hi Maxine

Could you tell me how you get CBT please? I think it would help me alot with my anxiety but finding it hard to find anyone who does it unless I pay 100 pounds (privately) a time which I can't afford.

Good luck. I think it's great that you said you will do it , be excited about the results you will have.

Sarah x

mico
16-11-07, 14:12
I'm sure Maxine will correct me if I'm wrong but I think she received CBT via phone through the charity group No Panic (not to be confused with this place, although I'm sure you'll find the link here somewhere).

CBT's also available on the NHS but waiting lists can be long.

maxine
17-11-07, 16:28
Thanks peopel.

Yeah Mico thats correct i did do the CBT through No panic.

I id have to join to be able to do the telephone recovery it was only £10 and that gave me access to evrything i needed and a great support network.

You don't have to pay for the courses or anything that's all included in your membership fee, i think they only charge it to help with running costs

Anyway here's thelink if anyone is interested http://www.nopanic.org.uk/menu.htm

Good luck.