PDA

View Full Version : Started CBT today

anxious
18-09-07, 10:58
Hi,

well after a wait of about a year (not bad considering some lists) i went for my first CBT session.
Nice friendly lady, felt quite relaxed :) First couple of sessons are to talk about my past history (which is quite extensive considering ive had problems for 25 years :blush: ).
So after about an hour of my none stop rabbiting the lady was still smiling (good sign eh? or was she smirking lol:D ) She informs me that i am actually quite 'normal' (not many say that so tried to get it in writing). My problems are very common and shes sure she can help me yay!!
So i have lots of questionaires to fill in for next week (incase we missed anything) and a huge list of common anxiety symptoms to tick (i can tick them all - lucky old me!)
So providing she hasn't left the country by then, i shall be going back again next week.
I hope she can help because i've had anxiety from hell for the past few weeks:weep:

love anx xx
So onwards and upwards eh

manmoor
18-09-07, 15:09
Vicki :hugs: glad it went well for you hun :yesyes: xxx

trac67
18-09-07, 16:34
So glad it went well for you :) keep us updated as to how you get on each week

Love

Trac xxx

neptuno
18-09-07, 17:06
Sounds great, looks like you will be able to build a solid relationship with your therapist - keep at it
be kind to yourself

nomorepanic
18-09-07, 19:11
Great news - keep us posted on this thread each week and hope it goes well and really helps you.

honeybee3939
18-09-07, 19:14
Hi

Glad to hear you have started CBT:yesyes: :yesyes:

Im sure you will find it a great help, keep us posted how it goes hun.

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

anxious
24-09-07, 21:07
Hi all,

today was my second meeting, which again i found very friendly and relaxing:) . We talked some more about my past history and about reasons for why people become anxious. She wants us to work out what started my health anxiety and how it has developed over the years:huh: . I have to write down my anxious thoughts ( how they occur/where/when etc) for the next week so she can work out where we go from there. I shall have writers cramp by next week :blush:

anx xx

honeybee3939
24-09-07, 21:17
Glad its going well Anx:yesyes: :yesyes:

:hugs: :hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

nomorepanic
24-09-07, 21:56
That will keep you busy then lol

Good luck with it and hope it is some help.

anxious
01-10-07, 11:50
HI there,

had my third session today. Went through my diary of anxious thoughts which i found difficult as some i had managed to forget about over the week, its also quite embarrassing :blush: We've covered how my anxiety started and developed and are now looking into what keeps it going - triggers, reassurance seeking, checking etc. We've also looked and planned for what i will do with my new found time when i don't spend so much of it worrying :D
She has asked me to stop taking any meds (including herbal) when we start treatment as she wants me to feel the anxiety and not be scared of it!
Won't be this week thankfully as i have a day long hospital assessment with my daughter on weds regarding her forthcoming operation.
So more forms to fill in and boxes to tick, next week we are looking at relaxation techniques and then down to the nitty gritty :ohmy:

anx xx

honeybee3939
01-10-07, 12:12
:yesyes: :yesyes:

Sounds to be going well Anxious:) , I can understand the reasons why your CBT therapist would like you to stop taking meds like you explained, but i havent heard of that before:ohmy: it wasnt discussed when i had CBT, wonder if anyone else as been asked to do that before? If you have been taking the meds for a while anxious maybe it would be a good idea to discuss with GP first.

Hope your daughter goes well too at the hospital hun.

Love and hugs
:hugs: :hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

Believe
01-10-07, 13:22
Hi Anx,

Glade to hear that it's going so well for you. I too have started cbt, but I am doing mine online. I am looking forward to your posts.

Take care
Believe

anxious
01-10-07, 14:25
Hi Andrea,

never gave the meds too much thought, i take beta blockers but only when i feel the need so i should be ok (side effect wise) as i reguarly have a day off. She reckons they are used as a 'crutch'. But saying that it could be a major problem for some people couldnt it! Like you i would never advise anyone just to stop, but she didn't mention me contacting my gp :huh: I'm sure if i'd have still been on my citroplram she would have as i had problems stopping that.
Interesting to know what others have been told.

anx xx

anxious
01-10-07, 14:27
Hi Believe,

hope your CBT is going well, i can see how it can be done online because of all the form filling i am doing, but do you have access to someone you can talk too if you are struggling?

good luck
anx xx

Panic1971
01-10-07, 14:32
Hi Anxious and Believe

I am doing CBT at the moment too. Got my third session this afternoon. I am also doing it online - with a therapist there if I need her and to help me.

Fingers crossed x

Glad yours is going okay Anxious.

anxious
09-10-07, 12:49
Hi all,

had session no 4 today :shades: . Today we discussed what anxiety does to your body and why. Felt a bit like a biology lesson :) . Most i sorta new but i didn't realise how heightened your hearing becomes in the middle of an attack (explains why i can hear my blood rushing at times :huh: )
I kept trying to jump ahead because i've sussed the next step - stop checking, asking/looking for reassure and ride the anxiety out!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She's obviously used to people like me, because whilst being nice she managed to put off my questions and just said it will all become clear it the next session. Oh i am so looking forward to next week :ohmy: :blush:
So the preparation goes on, i have to spend 20mins a day doing relaxation exercises and practice breathing techniques.
Hope everyone else is doing well,

anx xx

honeybee3939
09-10-07, 20:46
Glad the CBT is still going well Anx :yesyes: :yesyes:

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

anxious
24-10-07, 23:10
Hi all,

just had session no. 6 today and not so impressed at the moment :lac: Now have complete ban on 'checking'. Have to not check, feel the anxiety and ride it out :ohmy: But my head if full of 'what if's'. We are not even doing rational thoughts as apparantly that is reassurance seeking...oooooooooooooo
I wish there was a magic switch to turn anxiety off.

anx xx

nomorepanic
24-10-07, 23:13
So what will happen if you don't check? I am betting nothing!

anxious
25-10-07, 08:39
I like a bet :), I'll let you know, thanks nic

anx xx

domino
26-10-07, 00:49
Glad to see you are getting some help with your anxiety, i tried to get myself some c.b.t. ,went to see my g.p. ,and was put in touch with a place that well , let just say they called my home number and basicly told me that they could not help me. where can i get some help, if my own g.p. can,t help me. Any links would be greatly appreciated.

Lilith1980
26-10-07, 12:19
That's great! I cant wait to start my counselling - hopefully early next year. I just feel like I have so much to talk about and sort through, I am sure it will help me.

Good luck with your future sessions.... xx