PDA

View Full Version : Head Zaps

scared1998
18-07-19, 23:31
Hey,

For the last 2 weeks I have been having what I can only describe as 'head zaps'.. I get this weird electric shock/falling feeling in my head for like 2 seconds and it is happening throughout the day. I do suffer from heart palpitation related anxiety but that has been mostly under control for a while now thanks to help from a psychologist.

I have only got back from holiday yesterday and cannot get a doctor's appointment until Monday.. I am worried this is a form of epilepsy / something dangerous, but I am trying to stay rational and wait to go to the dr's on Monday (in the past I would have gone to the dr's/ a&e straight away so quite proud ive left it for this length of time to see if it goes away by itself).

Has anyone experienced this?

Hypo27
19-07-19, 01:00
Would you happen to be on any medications such as SSRIs for anxiety or depression? When I was on Paxil I had brain zaps.

Fishbomb
19-07-19, 02:58
Same. A few different types- which makes sense, I guess, given they affect connections/chemistry in the brain! And they got worse when I was tapering off and for a few months after I stopped taking them.

BlueIris
19-07-19, 04:54
Paxil withdrawal did that to me, too.

scared1998
19-07-19, 08:08
No that’s what is making me concerned.. I’ve never taken any anti depressants or other drugs before.

ankietyjoe
19-07-19, 09:39
They're common with or without medication.

lofwyr
19-07-19, 16:23
I have had them for most of my adult life. No meds. Well, truthfully, I am on a betablocker for a heart issue right now, and since I got on metoprolol, I have not had them as often. So, meds actually seem to have slowed or stopped them

WorrywartAus
20-07-19, 06:34
I have it. It's called Occipital Neuralgia.
If your scalp feels tender when you rub the 'zap' spot with your finger, you can pretty much can confirm it yourself. Still see a gp though. A Neurologist can confirm.

I've had it since I was a girl.
When it's bad, I take ibuprofen. If it's really bad, I go to the Dr for Lyrica. It blocks the nerve signal.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk