PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever had a thyroid biopsy

Scaredtoo
20-07-19, 19:24
I’m getting one Tuesday and wondering how the actual procedure is? Thanks

pulisa
20-07-19, 21:06
Yes I've had a few. You will have ultrasound to make sure the fine needle locates the nodule precisely and then you'll have an injection of local anaesthetic to numb the area completely. The aim is to get a definitive diagnosis of your nodule and not an "inconclusive" result which is useless so the radiologist will be keen to get the best sample possible to biopsy. The process doesn't take long and isn't painful as you have the local anaesthetic. Afterwards it's best to take paracetamol and maybe use some ice over the puncture wound because you will get some soreness and bruising.

The results take about a week but often the radiologist can give you some idea of what he sees on screen. I had 6 biopsies done first time and then 4 more later on but I had multiple large nodules.

Good luck for Tuesday and I hope you get reassuring news very soon.

Scaredtoo
21-07-19, 00:58
Yes I've had a few. You will have ultrasound to make sure the fine needle locates the nodule precisely and then you'll have an injection of local anaesthetic to numb the area completely. The aim is to get a definitive diagnosis of your nodule and not an "inconclusive" result which is useless so the radiologist will be keen to get the best sample possible to biopsy. The process doesn't take long and isn't painful as you have the local anaesthetic. Afterwards it's best to take paracetamol and maybe use some ice over the puncture wound because you will get some soreness and bruising.

The results take about a week but often the radiologist can give you some idea of what he sees on screen. I had 6 biopsies done first time and then 4 more later on but I had multiple large nodules.

Good luck for Tuesday and I hope you get reassuring news very soon.

Thanks so much. I have a .08cm on my right gland and the report said it was moderately suspicious so I am nervous. I also have a cyst on my left gland. I’m glad yours turned out well. I have heard that the inconclusive thing happens a lot and I def don’t want that issue.

adamden
21-07-19, 16:53
Hey there, I’ve had one. Have two nodes on my thyroid that they did a “fine needle” biopsy on, both were benign.
They’ll ultrasound you to pinpoint the location of the node and then they’ll go from there.
They put me completely to sleep for my procedure but only because I’m squeamish and not good with being awake for procedures, but for your case, I’d assume they’d just numb where they’re gonna biopsy and then take their sample. Won’t be painful at all with the anesthetic.
Good luck :)