PDA

View Full Version : Brain eating ameobi fear

Jamie123
23-07-19, 17:42
Been doing relatively well for the past year but something set me off today. I was washing my eyes after I got some bits of paint near it and got some water in my nose. Im worried since I am currently in eastern europe on holiday and the water was warm from a home boiler so now I am worried about naegleria fowleri as I am unsure how clean the water is. Is there anything I can do to clean my nose as I am stressing out. Is there anything I can do to reduce the chance of getting this. Ive tried to clean my nose with tissue as much as I can.

lofwyr
23-07-19, 18:02
In 54 years in the United States there were 145 cases. Rarely more than 1 or 2 a year in a population exceeding 150 million at the start of that timeline, and 350 million at the end of it. I know that isn't eastern Europe, but your odds of contracting it are probably less than being hit by lightning by a wide margin.

Enjoy your holiday!

Fishmanpa
23-07-19, 19:18
Haven't seen one of these threads in a while. Surprising since its Summer and there's usually an uptake in this and flesh eating bacteria posts.

Positive thoughts

Yourboymj99
23-07-19, 19:36
What's up Jamie,

Relax, you could snort that water up your nose and I still wouldn't give it a second thought. You literally have a better chance of being eaten by an escaped lion while watching TV on your couch. I'd definitely be careful with the paint around the eyes though..

Take care

adamden
23-07-19, 19:55
I was just gonna say the same thing Fishmanpa, I noticed how many posts about brain eating amoeba are here on this website.
Like MJ said, you have a much better chance of that sort of wackiness than contracting a brain eating amoeba. You might even have a better chance of seeing pigs fly in your lifetime before that.
From research I've done, there hasn't been a reported case of BEA since 2015 in the United States. I know you live in the UK, but compare that to the population of the United States, and you'll see how extremely low the chances are.