PDA

View Full Version : Pain in left side of head behind ear and neck.

flatterycat
23-07-19, 18:58
I absolutely panicked today and rushed off to a and e. I had a sudden awful pain in my head that got worse, then kind of radiated into my shoulder and jaw. It was a sort of spasming pain and like nothing I’ve had before.

I read that if you get a headache like nothing you’ve had before you should seek help.

The hospital did my blood pressure etc then carried out an ecg which was all fine. Then a nurse did some basic neuro tests and checked eyes. All ok. They then told me it was probably a muscle spasm in my neck.

I can’t believe that something that came on so suddenly and was so painful could be a muscle. All I keep thinking is that it’s a brain hemorrhage or the start of one.

The pain was agony and literally went from behind my ear, into the base of my head and then neck and shoulder.

I’m so scared it will come on again or that it’s something to worry about.

flatterycat
24-07-19, 07:07
Woke this morning feeling awful. I keep thinking back to the pain and how quickly it came on. So scared it was a brain haemorrhage.

BlueIris
24-07-19, 07:12
Believe me, if you'd had one of those you'd know.

flatterycat
24-07-19, 07:44
Thank you Blue.
Im so scared of what that pain was. It was so sudden and very painful and of course I’m worried it’ll come back. I woke in the night with stabbing pains in my lower left side of head which has added to it all.

BlueIris
24-07-19, 07:46
You've been checked over; neck tension can cause all manner of nasty problems and there will often be aftershocks, as it were.

flatterycat
25-07-19, 09:21
I am really spiralling. How do I know I didn’t experience a warning to a brain haemorrhage or that it wasn’t one? The hospital didn’t scan me. I’m a mess and really frightened.

BlueIris
25-07-19, 09:25
Because you'd have so many more symptoms if this was the case. Take a deep breath, acknowledge the fear and then move on.

flatterycat
25-07-19, 09:29
I’m really trying Blue Iris. But this is taking over. I keep thinking that they have dismissed me and not taken me seriously.

BlueIris
25-07-19, 09:34
You went to A&E, and they ruled it out. Just because you're afraid, it doesn't mean there's necessarily anything to be afraid of.

flatterycat
26-07-19, 08:00
I ended up going back to a and e yesterday. I cannot believe that such awful, sudden, pain in my head can be nothing to worry about. I read stories by people who had suffered brain haemorrhage who said they had a headache, then a couple of weeks later had the haemorrhage.

The anxiety and panic I feel over this is awful. Although the pain went after an hour, it was so sudden and so painful. I keep getting slight pains now, but nothing like when it came on.

A and E basically told me there was nothing wrong with me and after seeing a nurse, then a different nurse, was told to go home and that they would not scan me.

Please help, I am so scared that this headache was a warning of a brain haemorrhage to come.

BlueIris
26-07-19, 08:05
Are you being treated for your anxiety at the moment? It sounds as though this was terrifying for you, and I think any of us HA people would have trouble processing it.

Not the same, I know, but a few winters back I suffered a truly awful calf spasm; it was agonising at the time, and for months afterwards that leg would twinge slightly. I was too afraid to get it checked out, but I worried terribly about it being a DVT. In the end, though, it just went away on its own.

I know it's harsh, but you have to try and trust what you were told. If you keep on reading stories that scare you, of course it's going to keep the fear alive.

flatterycat
26-07-19, 08:28
Yes I’m being treated for anxiety, but this has taken over.

BlueIris
26-07-19, 08:31
Just keep on reminding yourself that the anxiety is the problem, and the other stuff is window dressing.

flatterycat
26-07-19, 08:33
I will. But right now I feel sick with anxiety. Going to try and get another appointment with doc today.

BlueIris
26-07-19, 08:38
I'd strongly suggest that you frame the discussion around the anxiety, rather than the original pain. If you don't discuss your worries, then you may get brushed off and you may inadvertently be denying yourself the help you need.

flatterycat
26-07-19, 08:42
I just find it hard to believe that such a pain in my head for nearly an hour is nothing to worry about. Then I’m worrying about it coming back. My hubby is going to come with me so he can hear what they’re saying too, I don’t always take it all in because I’m so anxious. Also when you say that most people would be worried about it too, I feel even more worked up.

Thing is is no matter what anyone says I’m going to find ‘something’ in it aren’t I.

BlueIris
26-07-19, 08:47
You are, which is why you really need help with the anxiety.

One key point: I didn't say most people, I said people with health anxiety - in other words, people with faulty thinking patterns. One of the ways I deal with my own anxiety issues is to admit that sometimes (a lot of the time) my own thinking is faulty.

flatterycat
26-07-19, 08:58
Ah I see. Thank you.
I was advised to increase my sertraline from 50 to 100mg a while back, but as I’ve been on 50mg for years, I thought 100mg wouldn’t help either. I did take my first one last night though. I think it’s also the thought that I’m dealing with anxiety when really I should be dealing with the head problem.

flatterycat
26-07-19, 09:06
Ah I see. Thank you.
I was advised to increase my sertraline from 50 to 100mg a while back, but as I’ve been on 50mg for years, I thought 100mg wouldn’t help either. I did take my first one last night though. I think it’s also the thought that I’m dealing with anxiety when really I should be dealing with the head problem.

BlueIris
26-07-19, 09:09
I think it’s also the thought that I’m dealing with anxiety when really I should be dealing with the head problem.

This is how anxiety behaves, though - it's a nasty, sneaky creature that wants to live and grow, so it convinces you that something else is the problem.

The trick is to acknowledge it - even thank it, if you want, for trying to keep you safe - beat it over the head with logic (you've seen multiple medical professionals who weren't worried, and the pain is almost entirely gone now) and then walk away and do something more interesting.

flatterycat
26-07-19, 11:06
I am so far in the mire right now that I can’t rationalise at all.
I’ve now got tingling in my cheek on the same side where pain was.

saw the doctor who has said the same as the others.

BlueIris
26-07-19, 11:08
The tingling is almost certainly due to hypervigilance. What advice did the doctor give about your anxiety?

flatterycat
26-07-19, 11:31
Increase my sertraline, which I started yesterday. So I’m doing 10mg one day, 50mg the next, for a week, then up to 100 each day. I’m a bit too far in the rabbit hole to be able to do anything else. My hubby is going to reduce my screen time to stop me googling as I don’t have any will power.

BlueIris
26-07-19, 11:40
It'll get easier - I know how tough it can be when you fall off the precipice.