PDA

View Full Version : weird thing happened to me

devo343
26-07-19, 13:06
so last night i had some trouble sleeping and when i did finally fall asleep i really dont know if i was awake or asleep it was kinda of that werid mixed zone i think it was a dream but idk but it felt like i was having a muscle spasm in my lower body/legs it felt painful which made me think that i was awake but its very fuzzy which also makes me think i was dreaming. idk what happened but its making me worried any help?

adamden
26-07-19, 17:29
Interestingly enough, I've been in that position before, not knowing whether or not I am fully awake or fully asleep, or just somewhere in between.
I'm not in your body, so I can't really offer any good advice here whether or not you were asleep or not. I wouldn't stress over it too much though, because our body can do weird things while we are sleeping. I'd say just don't think too much of it. Probably just something that your body's doing in your sleep.

AntsyVee
26-07-19, 21:51
Charlie horse?

RadioGaGa
26-07-19, 23:46
Having been an alcoholic at the young age of 21, and a "weekend warrior" since then (i.e. no drink throughout the week, but going overboard on the weekends) I've had my fair share of sleep-related hallucinations.

Alcohol (and benzos, barbs et al) makes us more prone to it. So does anxiety. Usually alcohol AND/OR benzo (use/abuse) (delete as appropriate) go hand-in-hand. There are a lot of questions on here regarding sleep-related symptoms, so I thought I'd give you a detailed response in the hope it helps you and any other person who reads it.

Sleep related hallucinations can be very unusual, realistic and downright terrifying. After experiencing a hypnagogic hallucination (i.e. as you go to sleep), or a hypnopompic hallucination (i.e. coming out of sleep) it can be hard to believe they're not a sign of something more sinister. In my case, when I experience(d) them, I always struggle to accept it wasn't a brain tumour-related partial seizure.

Hypnagogic hallucinations are much more common than hypnopompic hallucinations. That's NOT me saying that hypnopompic hallucinations are any more likely to be serious (they aren't) it's just that most people experience them as they go to sleep, rather than wake up.

Some of my personal hypnagogic hallucinations:

1. Going to sleep one night, back in 2015 and after taking 10mg temazepam (for insomnia), I suddenly realized I was paralysed. Almost at the same moment, it felt like my entire body was shaking. I thought to myself during it "I'm having a grand mal seizure, I have a brain tumour!". I then came out of it, after what seemed like 20 to 30 seconds.

2. Two months ago, coming out of sleep, I experienced the above. Again a very unnerving experience. This time there was no temazepam, and it occurred in reverse. My anxiety came back for the day and I worried about epilepsy. But of course, it's not possible to have a grand mal seizure and be aware. So I ruled that out (lol)

3. Hearing very intense, vivid music as I fall off to sleep. I can never place this music, although undoubtedly, I've heard it before.

4. My maternal grandmother passed away in 2005. I can remember her voice, but not vividly. However, going to sleep last year sometime, I heard her voice intensely as if she was beside me, say something to me. Some would say she was "making contact", but I'm certain (with reluctance) this was nothing more than a sleep related hallucination.

5. I've smelt, seen, heard and felt things that weren't real as I went off to sleep. Intensely smelt bacon one morning as I woke up - the only problem was it was 05:00 and nobody in the house was awake, lest were they cooking bacon. I clearly saw a figure standing in my room as I went off to sleep and was paralysed - but when I awoke I realised they'd failed to set the burglar alarm off :winks:

As someone that has obsessed over, and intensely researched, glioblastoma (it's a very rare but invariably fatal brain tumour) from 2012 until early this year I can categorically say that sleep-related hallucinations are never anything to worry about unless they also occur when you're fully awake in the middle of the day.

My drinking habits, and anxiety, have simply made me more prone to this universally normal phenomenon.

You have nothing to worry about.