PDA

View Full Version : Help

MJDancer
03-11-03, 16:33
I need some advice, I was diagnosed with Stress at beginning of September and im trying to deal with it but im abit concerned. As far as attacks go im managing to slow my heart rate down after about 5 minutes and the attacks go which is good but the pains im getting above my heart is getting worse week by week. Firstly it was just a pinch or a twinge but now its a really really painful sharp pain which is scarying the crap out of me. I feel that i will have a heart attack within a matter of months or even weeks and almost waiting for it to happen which is scarying me even more.

Can anyone help as my doctor seems to be fobbing me off with blood tests all the time and not really giving me any advice or telling me anything?

Meg
03-11-03, 17:22
Hi MJDancer,

Firstly, are you at high risk of having a heart attack - realistically ? Smoke , drink to excess, overweight, eat rubbish , no exercise , elevated cholesterol and over 45, etcetcete

Have you had an ECG ? If not ask directly for one.. That will tell whether there is any warning signs leading to a possible heart attack.

Assuming that is negative then look after yourself well.

Well done for managing to control your heart rate and preventing an attack . This is excellent news.

Exercise is so effective for these chest pains which are likely to be tightening of the muscles in the chest wall- very similar to getting shoulder or neck pain.. but because of the location we assume it's cardiac pain.
Do something that stretches the chest muscle wall - ie swimming or stretching in general - talk to a gym instructor. If you're that worried about a possible MI that you don't want to exercise vigorously at present then do T'ai Chi or Yoga or some martial arts that does lots of stretching in a gentle manner.
However as soon as it goes then look after your heart so that you'll know it is unlikely to be that if it should return !

I used to take myself off for a very huffy puffy walk -Aka route march- as my neighbour called it whenever I got chest pain, on the basis that it should get worse if it was cardiac ischaemia. It always had totally gone by the time we came back.

Let us know how you do please

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

uryjm
03-11-03, 21:51
MJDancer. If you were having genuine chest pains because of a heart problem - and the doctor's checked you out, and your heart is healthy - then surely it would have already happened, considering the stress you're putting yourself under! Try relaxation exercises, imagining how you'd feel if you'd no pain in your chest. Can you relieve the tension and pain by focusing on positive feelings? If so, this may be a clue. Exercise is another great relief from tension, and forcing your heart up to 140 beats a minute - under your conscious control - is brilliant reassurance that it's not about to give up the ghost. I've had chest pains, the occassional numb left arm, palpatations (they were scary, but nothing to worry about in the end) through my years of panic attacks. It's not funny, but do what you have to do in order to tackle it.

Jim

MJDancer
05-11-03, 13:53
Radar thanks for the info.

Well i occassionally smoke have 2 drinking sessions a week which my doctor says is about 40 units (ahem), im only 25 and eat reasonable well but hardly exercise.
Exercise will probably help in a big way but its finding the time - with work and kids its difficult.
I also work in Customer Service which i think could be a big part of it as im getting restless and stressed with customers almost every day

uryjm thanks aswell

Meg
05-11-03, 14:23
So you're at an extremely low risk of having a heart attack !!!

As for the 40 units/week - 10 pints twice a week or equiv. Your choice. It's not recommended but it's certainly not going to cause the all elusive heart attack single handedly. Don't drink to mask anxiety though....

As for exercise - perfect, MJDancer - take those kids of yours out and exercise with them. You don't have to go to a Gym... A good family walk, kicking a ball about. swimming, dancing session at home altogether regularly will do nicely instead and be very beneficial to you all in so many ways.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

MJDancer
06-11-03, 11:40
Thanks for the advice Radar ive got a ecg scan coming soon so it will put my mind at rest.

diana
06-11-03, 12:39
Hello MJDancer,

I just wanted to wish you luck on the ECG scan, come back to let us know how you do after you get your results. I also have suffered severe chest pains, due to anxiety/stress and I have had several tests run such as a sonogram of the heart and the catheterization (not sure of the spelling), just to find no real problem, just minor stuff really. I hope the same for you, nothing serious shows up.

Cheers,

Diana :)