PDA

View Full Version : Worried about or climate

devo343
29-07-19, 19:43
im seeing all these stuff about artic wildfires burning the arctic. june was the hottest recorded month. sea ice is decreasing every year its making me worried about our climate as a whole. see im a cold weather winter kind of person seeing all this stuff about earth is warming winters may be a thing of the past soon at least snow wise its just very concerning to me. i dont know what to do.[title is supposed to be our not or}

Dying_Swan
29-07-19, 20:54
Tough call. I agree with you, but I think all you can do is try to reduce your own impact, and where possible encourage others to do the same. Use the car less, fly less, pay into carbon offset schemes, support clean and renewable energy etc. If everyone did it would have a huge impact. We're a way off from that, but I think people are starting to take notice and some are making changes.

venusbluejeans
29-07-19, 21:58
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Emmz

AntsyVee
29-07-19, 23:45
I think many of us are worried about this. But the problem is more than any one person can solve. It cuts across many spectrums of life: personal lifestyles, political, economic, etc. All we can do is keep fighting the good fight, as mentioned above, and try to vote for people and policies that support the environment.

FrankT
01-08-19, 10:09
Believe me, I'm worried too!

FrankT
07-08-19, 20:49
Why, we've even ignored the warnings and are still buying peat that comes from a resource we've quickly squandered! If there was any chance of saving the planet, it's gone now.

FrankT
24-08-19, 10:00
The Brazilian dictator has started burning down the Amazon. If this carries on, our last chance of saving the climate will be GONE.

https://secure.greenpeace.org.uk/page/m/58334ba1/64428526/5974a88a/201440c7/1016900969/VEsE/?g=Siu5TMQot1BcUpjOlbanMxA

jojo2316
24-08-19, 10:32
It is indeed an enormous problem. It might even be insurmountable. All we can do is our best. And hope. And be curious.

jojo2316
24-08-19, 10:33
Also I have really noticed that people are waking up to this. Even a few short years ago it wasn’t unusual to be a denier

FrankT
24-08-19, 10:34
Hope?! There is no hope, there never was! When that evil man took power, it was already too late!

jojo2316
24-08-19, 10:37
Hope?! There is no hope, there never was! When that evil man took power, it was already too late!

Yes. Maybe human civilisation is doomed. Is that a bad thing - or just a thing?

FrankT
24-08-19, 10:38
It's VERY bad!

jojo2316
24-08-19, 10:39
Yes. Maybe human civilisation is doomed. Is that a bad thing - or just a thing?

I mean, biologically speaking, it’s quite interesting- this naked ape and what it’s done?

jojo2316
24-08-19, 10:41
It's VERY bad!

Yes- sometimes I feel that. And sometimes I just feel like a alien observer.... and then it is interesting. Which helps. Because otherwise it is just unbearable

jojo2316
24-08-19, 10:42
But mostly I just feel cross with us. For our stupidity.

FrankT
24-08-19, 10:43
My God, I'm having a panic attack over this!!!

jojo2316
24-08-19, 10:48

If the whole planet could have a panic attack then maybe we’d have a hope?

WiredIncorrectly
24-08-19, 21:41
The earth is like any living "thing". It can heal. But it will not heal because humans will not let it. It's not possible. The survival of the human race today depends on resources, transport, farming, yadda yadda. Do you know how many servers power the internet? Billions. All requiring power. What about the backup farms for the billions^billions of terrabytes of historical internet data that the NSA stores? Tremendous amounts of power. And it's only getting worse.

I keep saying this, but it's humans that have destroyed this planet and the living things on it. We're the cancer of the planet. It's in our DNA. No other living species destroys the planet like humans. What we depend on for "convenience" is eventually what will wipe out the human race. I wonder if other life forms have existed before us that wiped themselves out?

WiredIncorrectly
24-08-19, 21:46

I have in the past, but that's usually a sign that my anxiety is spiking like crazy and I generally need meds to level me out again.

MyNameIsTerry
25-08-19, 01:55
The earth is like any living "thing". It can heal. But it will not heal because humans will not let it. It's not possible. The survival of the human race today depends on resources, transport, farming, yadda yadda. Do you know how many servers power the internet? Billions. All requiring power. What about the backup farms for the billions^billions of terrabytes of historical internet data that the NSA stores? Tremendous amounts of power. And it's only getting worse.

I keep saying this, but it's humans that have destroyed this planet and the living things on it. We're the cancer of the planet. It's in our DNA. No other living species destroys the planet like humans. What we depend on for "convenience" is eventually what will wipe out the human race. I wonder if other life forms have existed before us that wiped themselves out?

It's how it happened to the dinosaurs. Scientists have been baffled for years what the strange tablets found in their claws were for and it's only since Apple brought of their wares that the scientists had a big "aha" moment :winks:

I blame Fred Flintstone.

FrankT
25-08-19, 08:45
Yeah... well... Fred Flintstone would never go as far as frying the planet Earth like Bolsonario would.

MyNameIsTerry
26-08-19, 03:10
Yeah... well... Fred Flintstone would never go as far as frying the planet Earth like Bolsonario would.

Maybe not Fred but Mr Slate might of :winks:

This issue is now getting attention from world leaders. The ever press coverage grabbing Macron is raising it to be discussed ahead of the G7...which Brazil isn't in (G20) so perhaps talks will start?

It's not even new, we were taught in school about this stuff. Another price of wanting everything cheap really.

Perhaps the Americans will "manage" Bolsaonario out if they change their minds about their direction? :whistles:

There are a couple of petitions I've just signed and one is from an activist in Brazil so hopefully public pressure can be added too.

It's also been noted how the UK media were silent on this issue for weeks.

FrankT
19-10-19, 12:10
Just... Be honest with me - agree that the world is going to end in 11 years, and there's nothing we can do about it!

Quinn1
19-10-19, 12:27
Load of BS where do people come up with this shite.
The Planet is f...anyway.

venusbluejeans
19-10-19, 13:21
Just... Be honest with me - agree that the world is going to end in 11 years, and there's nothing we can do about it!

Please do not be a scaremonger on here.... This maybe what you believe but please do not force your opinions onto other members on here and tell them they have to agree with you.

nomorepanic
19-10-19, 13:36

Best make the most of life then I guess :yahoo:

Fishmanpa
19-10-19, 13:46

Do you have the exact date? I want to plan a party and maybe even hire a band and a footballer to attend ;)

Positive thoughts

pulisa
19-10-19, 13:52
Why 11 years? Why so precise?

MyNameIsTerry
19-10-19, 14:08
A tree surgeon has scaled Big Ben to highlight the climate crisis for XR. What? A bloke that murders trees for a living?!!! What next, a bloke that makes 4x4s? :biggrin:

pulisa
19-10-19, 14:13
These protestors are a joke. They do nothing to promote and highlight their cause.

MyNameIsTerry
19-10-19, 14:35
These protestors are a joke. They do nothing to promote and highlight their cause.I'm waiting for one of them to glue themselves to a snow leopard :roflmao:

FrankT
19-10-19, 16:49
Why 11 years? Why so precise?

It's what the UN said.

venusbluejeans
19-10-19, 18:46
Best make the most of life then I guess :yahoo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrdEMERq8MA

pulisa
19-10-19, 19:50
It's what the UN said.

So it's headline news then? Takes precedence over Brexit and Man United's demise?

MyNameIsTerry
19-10-19, 20:07
Just... Be honest with me - agree that the world is going to end in 11 years, and there's nothing we can do about it!So you can't have really understood it then. The more significant date is mid century and the next decade is crucial to being on target for that. That's what they have said. They have not said at 2030 the world ends, it just declines from there. And it wouldn't help if we just kept on wasting and producing more carbon to flick a switch in 2030 to have halved emissions for the target. Again, Frank, catastrophizing and not correctly taking in what is being reported in the same way a doctor says 'I would like x test just to rule out y' and on here it then becomes a cancer someone has.

KK77
19-10-19, 20:40
Again, Frank, catastrophizing and not correctly taking in what is being reported in the same way a doctor says 'I would like x test just to rule out y' and on here it then becomes a cancer someone has.

Quite right, Mr T. This is simply anxiety manifesting/expressing itself in a different form or context. But it's still anxiety that is not being effectively challenged and treated.

Quinn1
20-10-19, 02:56
Do you have the exact date? I want to plan a party and maybe even hire a band and a footballer to attend ;)

Positive thoughts

:roflmao:
I will send over an old retired footballer and an Aussie singer,Shannon Noll.:roflmao:

FrankT
20-10-19, 12:17
So you can't have really understood it then. The more significant date is mid century and the next decade is crucial to being on target for that. That's what they have said. They have not said at 2030 the world ends, it just declines from there. And it wouldn't help if we just kept on wasting and producing more carbon to flick a switch in 2030 to have halved emissions for the target. Again, Frank, catastrophizing and not correctly taking in what is being reported in the same way a doctor says 'I would like x test just to rule out y' and on here it then becomes a cancer someone has.

I see... I understand now.