PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need a colonoscopy?

LeighJ7
31-07-19, 23:06
Ok so I gave birth 3 months ago. I’ve been having some rectal bleeding for about 2 weeks, only when I have a BM. It started after a little straining with a BM. I’m really assuming it’s an internal hemorrhoid, but I saw a gastro who thinks I need a full colonoscopy, not just a sigmoidoscopy. I’m terrified of the sedation because I have a really slow heart rate at rest, in the 40’s and low blood pressure. My gastro says that she uses proferol for sedation and won’t do it without sedation. Should I get a second opinion? Or put it off a few weeks and see if the bleeding stops? Would precancerous polyps continue to bleed even with soft BMs? Also, I’m 33 and my parents both have had precancerous polyps.

nomorepanic
31-07-19, 23:26
I am surprised they are jumping straight in with a colonoscopy to be honest. I would get a 2nd opinion.

Did they not do a rectal exam to check for piles?

LeighJ7
01-08-19, 00:02
Yeah you’re probably right. She did do a rectal exam and said there was a really small hemorrhoid, but that even if there was a hemorrhoid she couldn’t tell if that’s where the bleeding was coming from or if it was from far up in the colon

Sandra1980
12-08-19, 01:55
I hope you don't need to get one,I'm the same I tested positive in the screening test but have no symptoms but do have occasional bleeding from my stomach when I take certain medications which I was taking at the time I did the test,I had to take the medication again recently and it made my stomach bleed again the last ime I took it was Thursday and my stomach has settled down now,my doctor gave me another test thing to do so I am going to wait another week to let my stomach get back to normal and I'm praying the test comes back negative this time.
Because if I do need to get one what would it do,yes it would mess up my very sensitive stomach again.

jojo2316
12-08-19, 07:32
Since you have a family history of polyps and your doctor has recommended one, I would go ahead and have the colonoscopy. They are not at all bad (I’ve had two) and it will give you peace of mind.

MrsEd
17-08-19, 10:40
I would have one just to be cautious. I had one in june and it was fine