PDA

View Full Version : Cyclothymia/ bipolar advice needed please.

Unicorn1985
01-08-19, 09:23
HI

im just wondering how many people on here have been diagnosed with cyclothymia? I believe my husband has cyclothymia and I’m trying to push him to get help. How were you diagnosed? What were your symptoms?

Im concerned a psychiatrist will say it’s not this but I’m confident it is. Life is really hard at home at the moment, it’s gotten much worse over the last few years and I’m on eggshells a lot. I’ve suffered from depression in the past and currently health anxiety for over two years now. I just feel whatever is going on is much more than that for him. The mood swings are unpredictable. One day lowest of the lows and can’t get out of bed, next day buzzing around like he has ants in his pants.

Thanks for any any advice or suport
x

razziledazzile
01-08-19, 09:30
Hi. I'm 21 and was diagnosed with cyclothymia at the age of 14. I was diagnosed with cyclothymia after dealing with bouts of mania and depression.I would usually follow a routine of setting these high, unaccomplishable goals for myself followed by a come down with depression, and not wanting to do anything. My symptoms would usually change like 2 weeks mania, 2 weeks of a low. During mania I would usually like to do something like paint my whole room, tell myself I was gonna start working out and start a whole routine, and then the low would hit and I would cry on the way to school because I couldn't stand getting out from my room. Bowls would pile up because I just couldn't do it anymore. It really helped that my family would support me and not call me "lazy" or think I was okay just because I was on a high. I saw a therapist since then till I turned 18 and she really helped me as well, I developed healthier habits and learned to ride the wave of cyclothymia lol. Now I just got into my dream school and manage the lows by confiding in my boyfriend/family and reminding myself it will pass. It's easier once diagnosed because you know it will pass as always.

Unicorn1985
02-08-19, 09:20
Hi. I'm 21 and was diagnosed with cyclothymia at the age of 14. I was diagnosed with cyclothymia after dealing with bouts of mania and depression.I would usually follow a routine of setting these high, unaccomplishable goals for myself followed by a come down with depression, and not wanting to do anything. My symptoms would usually change like 2 weeks mania, 2 weeks of a low. During mania I would usually like to do something like paint my whole room, tell myself I was gonna start working out and start a whole routine, and then the low would hit and I would cry on the way to school because I couldn't stand getting out from my room. Bowls would pile up because I just couldn't do it anymore. It really helped that my family would support me and not call me "lazy" or think I was okay just because I was on a high. I saw a therapist since then till I turned 18 and she really helped me as well, I developed healthier habits and learned to ride the wave of cyclothymia lol. Now I just got into my dream school and manage the lows by confiding in my boyfriend/family and reminding myself it will pass. It's easier once diagnosed because you know it will pass as always.

Thank you for sharing your experience and I’m so pleased therapy has helped you x