PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam - I screwed up big time

nick1994
04-08-19, 12:17
Hi guys

I need some help desperately. I have a flight in six hours and had some diazepam prescribed to help with severe anxiety/panic disorder. Being the stupid idiot I am, I bought a beer at the hotel bar just now and had one sip before realising that you can't mix diazepam and alcohol. I haven't taken diazepam yet, but I need it desperately for the flight. Will one sip of beer six hours before I take it have awful effects? I'm terrified.

Absolutely banging my head against a wall right now. Can one tiny little sip kill me?

nomorepanic
04-08-19, 12:42
You will be fine - one sip will make no difference whatsoever

nick1994
04-08-19, 12:47
Thanks Nicola, I appreciate that. You'd expect it will be out of my system by then, the reason in me is telling me that!

nomorepanic
04-08-19, 14:44
It is ok to drink alcohol but the effects may be increased so they advise not to but better be safe than sorry if you have never mixed them before.

RadioGaGa
04-08-19, 21:10
Good advice from Nicola

I would add that even a couple of beers with diazepam (therapeutic doses) would be unlikely to cause any issues. People mix them for "recreational" purposes all the time. Although, this is a dumb idea and is not recommended. (And they do so at much higher doses)

panic_down_under
05-08-19, 02:44
Can one tiny little sip kill me?

It takes about 2 hours to metabolize the alcohol in a pint of beer, so just on that score you'd be fine taking diazepam 6 hours later.

The problem with mixing alcohol and benzodiazepines is that both can depress brainstem activity which, among other things, produces the breathing reflex. Falling asleep after consuming high amounts of both drugs increases the risk of asphyxiation (vomiting and being too sedated to awaken is another risk). This used to be potentially even more problematic in the past when aircraft were less well ventilated than they generally are now as a fuel saving measure. Another issue is that at high doses the combo can trigger strange, or violent behaviours.

Phill2
05-08-19, 05:52
I've taken Valium after drinking Bourbon a few hours before for years with no problems.
A sip of beer won't hurt.

MyNameIsTerry
06-08-19, 01:45
Another issue is that at high doses the combo can trigger strange […] behaviours.

I've taken Valium after drinking Bourbon a few hours before for years with no problems.
A sip of beer won't hurt.

Hmm...that explains a few things :whistles::biggrin:

Phill2
06-08-19, 02:29
:roflmao:You worked out my secret