PDA

View Full Version : Tongue issues

Wotalife
07-08-19, 00:11
Hi all. I’m new to the forum although I have been lurking for years. Have had HA for best part of 20 years and like many of you my main trigger is the Big C. Have been doing ok but have got myself in a state regarding my tongue. I bit the back left side of my tongue really badly on Sunday evening. It all looked very red and messy when I looked at it. Last night I discovered a largish swollen lump with some ulcers on it. For some reason I have got myself into a state thinking I have got oral cancer. I went to the dentist today and she thought it was ulcerated trauma and tried to reassure me that is was nothing sinister but as I was in quite a state she has asked me to see her next week and she also took a photo of my tongue which really freaked me out. I am worrying myself thinking that this lump may have been there for a while and just biting it has brought it to my attention although I’m sure I only had a checkup at the end of June and nothing was noted then. I’m in such a state I feel like locking myself away from everyone. Any advice?

Wotalife
07-08-19, 12:06
Just hoping to hear some words of wisdom or similar stories to maybe help?

BlueIris
07-08-19, 12:29
You bit your tongue badly, and now it's a mess. Cause and effect.

Wotalife
07-08-19, 14:44
Thanks for your reply. Tongue has healed a lot but I am left with soft lump with small ulcers on the side of the tongue . This is what is freaking me out as I always think of sinister things when I see lumps. It may be irrational to others but it’s firing my anxiety

BlueIris
07-08-19, 14:55
Give it time, if it was a bad bite it'll take a while to heal.

Wotalife
08-08-19, 07:52
I’m in such a state. My tongue has got the lump there still and I’m thinking the worst. I admit I keep poking and prodding at it probably every hour or so so that probably doesn’t help. I’ve hardly eaten for the last 2 days and have kept myself away from friends because I am obsessing like crazy. What if the lump doesn’t go down before I see the dentist on Tuesday? I’ll be referred for sure. Please someone offer me some advice - I’m so scared

BlueIris
08-08-19, 08:03
Wounds don't heal instantly, and your dentist will know that.

Wotalife
08-08-19, 08:09
she said she would expect it to heal in 7-10 days. Do you think poking it is delaying that?

BlueIris
08-08-19, 08:20
Of course it is - you're essentially re-injuring it.

Wotalife
13-08-19, 13:20
Just an update- went back to the dentist today and she was pleased that my tongue had healed really well. I was concerned that there was still a lump there but she assured me that was to do with trauma and may take a while to go down. She is not concerned at all but I keep thinking what if she’s wrong and the lump is sinister. I know this is typical HA as I’m doubting her- how do you just accept her diagnosis? It’s the million dollar question isn’t it?!

BlueIris
13-08-19, 13:23
Every time the worries spring up, remind yourself the dentist said it wasn't a problem and then focus on something else. Lather, rinse, repeat and eventually things will get easier.