PDA

View Full Version : Chronic Tonsil Pain - ENTs can't decide...

sam93
07-08-19, 17:01
Hi there,

I've had a pain on the right of my throat for over four weeks now... it's in the area of the tonsil.

On Monday evening I went to see an ENT who put a camera down my throat and had a look. He suggested it could be a tonsil stone but wasn't sure. He was unable to see anything on the camera and sent me on my way saying don't worry, it may just resolve itself. If not, think about having your tonsils out but no big deal either way.

Then I went to see a second ENT last night. He didn't use a camera. I mentioned to him that it could be a tonsil stone and he dismissed it straight away and said they don't cause pain. He then said that because it has been four weeks I need an MRI scan and that he's concerned.

Now I'm totally freaking out. I was calm after seeing the first ENT, but the second one has TOTALLY worried me!

Should I even bother with the MRI? It's going to be quite expensive...

Thanks for your advice

nomorepanic
07-08-19, 17:59
How come you saw two consultants?

sam93
07-08-19, 21:56
How come you saw two consultants?

It was actually a mix up with NHS and insurance company agreeing to cover one. So I just didn’t bother cancelling either and went to both.

Dying_Swan
08-08-19, 01:18
Tough call and sounds like seeing both has got you into a bit of a pickle. It happens, I'm sure lots of us can relate to one doc saying it could be something terrible and the other saying it's nothing.
I'm not sure that anyone here could advise on whether or not you should have the MRI. Would it be covered by insurance? I think in your shoes I would probably go back to the GP and ask for some advice. Perhaps give them a call tomorrow and see what they suggest?