PDA

View Full Version : Rabies from Bats (real bite marks)

woaidelrey
09-08-19, 02:57
Hi everyone,

Rabies scare really sucks... Two weeks ago I went to a friends gathering. The whole time I was sitting on a bench chair under the table covered with long table cloth. It is summer here in Massachusetts, so I did feel a lot of bugs on my legs when my legs were under the table. Didn't think too much about it. Fast forward several days, my friend told me that she found bats in the attic of her house. The same day I went home and examined my whole day... I then found two bite marks on my ankle (very close to each other, definitely resembles bat bites)... Now it's been 14 days since the gathering, the two red marks are still here and I'm scared as hell because its already very late to get any vaccinations and I have been feeling some nerve pain on my legs.. I'm so scared it's rabies. The day of the gathering I did not feel any sharp pain but I don't know if bat bites are supposed to hurt or not... Online says bat bites could be very small and unnoticeable, so is it possible that I could have gotten bit without knowing or seeing a bat? Thanks everyone

SnowyGreen
09-08-19, 04:03
'

SnowyGreen
09-08-19, 04:05
'

HelloPanda23
09-08-19, 06:57
Hi everyone,

Rabies scare really sucks... Two weeks ago I went to a friends gathering. The whole time I was sitting on a bench chair under the table covered with long table cloth. It is summer here in Massachusetts, so I did feel a lot of bugs on my legs when my legs were under the table. Didn't think too much about it. Fast forward several days, my friend told me that she found bats in the attic of her house. The same day I went home and examined my whole day... I then found two bite marks on my ankle (very close to each other, definitely resembles bat bites)... Now it's been 14 days since the gathering, the two red marks are still here and I'm scared as hell because its already very late to get any vaccinations and I have been feeling some nerve pain on my legs.. I'm so scared it's rabies. The day of the gathering I did not feel any sharp pain but I don't know if bat bites are supposed to hurt or not... Online says bat bites could be very small and unnoticeable, so is it possible that I could have gotten bit without knowing or seeing a bat? Thanks everyone

Had the same fear as you for a bit, and let me tell you that if a bat was anywhere near you, you’d know. As stated many times, they’re not ninjas, if it was under the table, it would’ve been found by people at your gathering. This is especially the case if it was rabid because rabid bats start to have a lot of difficulty flying and therefore stay put. That’s why victims of rabid bats usually find the bat in their room after waking up. Not only this but if a bat bit you, you’d known. The whole point of the rabies virus is to spread itself, and so if the bat saw no reaction from biting you, it would’ve kept biting. You don’t have rabies, don’t even waste your time worrying about it. It’s a scary disease and that’s exactly why you’re being so irrational about the situation, trust me, I went through the same thing. Good luck! :)

woaidelrey
09-08-19, 10:22
Had the same fear as you for a bit, and let me tell you that if a bat was anywhere near you, you’d know. As stated many times, they’re not ninjas, if it was under the table, it would’ve been found by people at your gathering. This is especially the case if it was rabid because rabid bats start to have a lot of difficulty flying and therefore stay put. That’s why victims of rabid bats usually find the bat in their room after waking up. Not only this but if a bat bit you, you’d known. The whole point of the rabies virus is to spread itself, and so if the bat saw no reaction from biting you, it would’ve kept biting. You don’t have rabies, don’t even waste your time worrying about it. It’s a scary disease and that’s exactly why you’re being so irrational about the situation, trust me, I went through the same thing. Good luck! :)

Yea I can't imagine a bat bit me and I didn't know, and nobody at the party noticed a bat the whole time at all... It's just the two bite marks that are there are constantly reminding me that it may be rabies... And I'm constantly attributing any symptoms I have now to rabies. I feel like this is onee scare that really gives me panic attacks at this point because there is just no way to know :(

Fishmanpa
09-08-19, 11:22
I feel like this is one scare that really gives me panic attacks at this point because there is just no way to know :(

On the contrary, there is. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's a duck. You can't make a duck turn into a ninja bat no matter how hard you try.

If you can make up a scenario and convince yourself a rabid bat, which are typically flying mammals, was crawling around unseen on the ground in a group of people, found it's way to your leg, bit you and you didn't notice anything or feel it, I think you should consider a career in fiction writing.

Positive thoughts

nomorepanic
09-08-19, 12:22
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

woaidelrey
10-08-19, 19:20
I am now having whole body soreness, joint pain... I really am starting to think I'm one of the few unfortunately ppl now... It's too late to get shots now as well 😭

BlueIris
10-08-19, 19:46
How would you have not known if a rabid small mammal was under your table?

NervUs
10-08-19, 19:52
I am now having whole body soreness, joint pain... I really am starting to think I'm one of the few unfortunately ppl now... It's too late to get shots now as well 

Rabies does not normally show up within 2 weeks time. It is usually like 6 weeks to 3 months, although there are outliers.

The facts are these: you didn't see a bat. Just because bats are in her attic doesn't at all mean they were hanging around in her backyard by your ankles. Those two pronged marks are VERY common. I have found them on my body in rabies panics and out of rabies panics, as well as on my kids' bodies. Those marks could have been caused by anything.

I find it really difficult to believe you would be unaware if a bat had bitten you at a party when you were wide awake. There is a lot of information about people brushing against bats, not feeling a bite, and then getting rabies. I have read the case histories ad nauseum after finding a very dead, untestable bat in my daughter's room. The adults that brushed against bats and then got rabies had awareness they had been in contact with a bat. There are cases of sleeping children (well a sleeping child) getting bitten and not knowing it, but children are something special, lol. Have you ever seen them sleep?

I find it really hard to believe you were bitten by a bat when you were wide awake when you didn't see a bat anywhere. If you called the CDC, they would not recommend a RPEP course in your case. Can you imagine how many people would be going through rabies vaccination if the recommendation was to administer the shots every time someone found a two pronged mark after being outside??? It is NOT recommended because a two pronged mark is not considered an exposure. You don't have a real bat bite. You have a mark that you want to believe is a bat bite. There is a difference.

You have yourself so worked up that you (subconsciously) are scanning any flutter or twinge in your body, looking for evidence of rabies. This (phantom rabies) is a very common phenomenon among people that fear they have been exposed. It is really hard to combat the fear when you are sure you've been exposed, feel sensations/pain in your body. All of that creates a feedback loop from hell that will keep you in the rabies paranoia. As I said, I have read so much about rabies, and the way rabies presents is not all over muscle pain, so you really aren't even showing rabies symptoms. But, your brain will want to trick and trick you until you have calmed down naturally or it has been so long that you realize it couldn't be rabies because if it had been you would already be dead.

I hope that these replies help you to see this more clearly and help you calm down naturally.

woaidelrey
10-08-19, 20:35
Thank you so much for the long reply. This is so very kind of you and have put my mind at ease somewhat.
I think I just keep replaying that day in my head trying to find moments or scenarios that I could have forgotten that could be a bat biting me. I know the statistic says very low probability but I can't stop feeling/thinking that what if it was a bat- the two pronged marks does not come from nowhere. Her house does have bats and if it was a bat on the ground, then that bat definitely had rabies because bats usually don't stay grounded unless they were sick.

Then again, there were other people there wearing shorts and dresses as well, why is it just me who got bitten by the bat?

The symptoms I'm feeling also makes it even more difficult to dismiss/forget about the fear. Everything just seems to be a perfect storm leading me to believe I'm doomed...

Thank you so much for your reply

woaidelrey
11-08-19, 04:26
I'm on my way to the ER to ask for rabies shots after reading this 😭https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.today.com/today/amp/tdna121279

Fishmanpa
11-08-19, 04:35
I'd be very surprised if they give it to you.

Positive thoughts

woaidelrey
11-08-19, 04:53
I'm debating in the ER parking lot :(. The shots are super expensive, but on the other hand it's my life... Most importantly it's because of my symptoms- pain and tingly in my legs and forearms that are worrying me sick- I'm afraid rabies are attacking my peripheral nervous system already and that if I do not do something, I'm gonna let it invade central nervous system .. I'm going crazy here I feel like .. rabies is the most profound fear I've ever had 😭

BlueIris
11-08-19, 05:17
Take a breath and use your logic. YOU DO NOT HAVE RABIES.

woaidelrey
11-08-19, 05:47
Take a breath and use your logic. YOU DO NOT HAVE RABIES.

I came back from the ER parking lot. Didn't go into ER at the end.. price is gonna be too much and I'm not sure about this situaiton..

but this physical pain in my lower legs and forearms are constantly reminding me that I may be the unlucky one...

BlueIris
11-08-19, 05:49
...Or that your anxiety is making you tense and hyper aware of every tiny bodily sensation.

woaidelrey
11-08-19, 11:40
Woke up with anxiety through the roof. Leg and arm aches.. I just don't know how to pull through this one...

BlueIris
11-08-19, 11:54
One hour at a time, a minute at a time if necessary.

Fishmanpa
11-08-19, 13:13
I came back from the ER parking lot. Didn't go into ER at the end.. price is gonna be too much and I'm not sure about this situaiton..

The fact you didn't go in shows that deep down you know you weren't bitten ;) Hang onto that!

Positive thoughts

woaidelrey
11-08-19, 15:03
The thing is I can't think of any other two pronged marks that do not itch and are not painful... Flea bites will itch, bug bites will itch, maschito bites will itch, spider bites will be painful... Only bat bites not painful not itchy... I can't find another reason for me not to worry, I keep thinking I am the unlucky one, a stealth bat bit me and nobody noticed 😭. I can't eat, cant sleep, this is all too much ...

Fishmanpa
11-08-19, 15:10
The thing is....

You have HA :whistles: Seriously, this thread is no different than the thousands of other rabies threads. Some have gone as far as to get the shots and STILL think they're going to die. There's really no way to reassure you as you're too deep in the rabbit hole. I hope you feel better soon!

Positive thoughts

BlueIris
11-08-19, 15:13
Not everything needs an explanation. Sometimes things just happen.

The way your thoughts are working right now is equivalent to waking before dawn and panicking because the sun's gone out.

woaidelrey
11-08-19, 15:16
How can I feel better? Wait for the next two and half months? I can't live like that :( how do I get out of this rabbit hole? Please help 😭. This is one of my worst episode of HA ever. The fear is just so profound

BlueIris
11-08-19, 15:47
If you really can't cope, it may be worth visiting your healthcare provider. Be sure to make your anxiety the focus of the visit, though.

Fishmanpa
11-08-19, 16:04
The way your thoughts are working right now is equivalent to waking before dawn and panicking because the sun's gone out.

Great analogy

Positive thoughts

woaidelrey
11-08-19, 22:10
I'm trying to paint this story to myself to calm myself down:

I saw two pronged bite marks. I'm scared that it might be from a bat, which I did not see the day of the party. I asked my friends to see if saw any bats that night. They also replied no. So basically, I'm scared that a stealthy bat bit me lightly without me feeling anything and got away without anybody noticing. And that bat just happened to bit me, not anybody else at that party, just me, despite a lot of people wearing dresses and shorts as well.

This story sounds a little ridiculous after I write it out, so it kind of calms me down a bit. But then again, I always go back to the CDC stories where ppl don't even know how they were exposed... Are their exposure kind of like mine, but because i have HA, I pay more attention to everything..

I don't wanna worry for the next months, but my perfectionist personality and OCD just don't allow me to calm down fully and I don't know what else to do ...

NervUs
11-08-19, 22:17

but this physical pain in my lower legs and forearms are constantly reminding me that I may be the unlucky one...

I am so glad you didn't go in!

woaidelrey
11-08-19, 23:05
Was wondering if I can get some advices: I don't want to go to ER. But should I go to a trav clinic to receive pre-exposure vaccinations? I read that it starts to give antibodies in 7-10 days. Maybe I should go get it?

BlueIris
12-08-19, 05:19
No, because you didn't get bitten.

woaidelrey
12-08-19, 06:27
No, because you didn't get bitten.

I'm trying to think rationally. My two marks measures exactly 1cm in width, which is the typical width of a bat bite. It didnt itch or cause pain, so it wasn't porbably from insects or bugs. So should I err on the cautious side and just have the vaccinations, because maybe I really missed the bat or was oblivious when it bit me as bats teeth are so small thay sometimes it leave little trace?

woaidelrey
12-08-19, 08:42
Awake all night, pretty much convinced I may be the unlucky one... I just went out to a friends gathering and then I got two bite marks that are 1cm apart. Everything just happens so coincidentally that I don't know what to think anymore. I'm so scared and numb right now, its too late to get vaccinations although I still want to get it, cuz maybe it will save me somewhat...

woaidelrey
12-08-19, 13:35
Sorry to keep bumping this thread.
I think I'm still gonna go to the ER to get the shots. It's too much of a risk because there is just no explanation for two bite marks 1cm apart other than bat bites... This is severely impeding my daily life, i can't even go to work..I'm calling out for work. This fear is all too much, is the king of HA😭

BlueIris
12-08-19, 14:08
Just be aware that you're going to have to confront this again next time another scary symptom comes along.

Fishmanpa
12-08-19, 14:11
Again, I'd be surprised if they give them to you based on the scenario.

Positive thoughts

woaidelrey
12-08-19, 14:11
It's not even about the symptoms, it's about the unexplained two bite marks. I just want to be on the safe side, just in case.

Fishmanpa
12-08-19, 15:21
It's not even about the symptoms, it's about the unexplained two bite marks. I just want to be on the safe side, just in case.

Then do it. You obviously came on here to seek reassurance and it's obvious nothing said will help so.... :shrug:

Positive thoughts

NervUs
12-08-19, 16:59
Sorry to keep bumping this thread.
I think I'm still gonna go to the ER to get the shots. It's too much of a risk because there is just no explanation for two bite marks 1cm apart other than bat bites... This is severely impeding my daily life, i can't even go to work..I'm calling out for work. This fear is all too much, is the king of HA

You do realize this is probably going to cost you $10 K out of pocket, unless you have amazing health insurance with low deductibles. Even so, since you had no contact with a bat, insurance might not cover it-- so you will have to lie and say you know a bat bit you or landed on you or whatever. Do you really feel good doing that?

If you are expecting a doctor to look at the bites, and know what bit you, that is not going to happen. No one can look at you and verify what bit you or didn't bite you. Most of the time, we have no choice in life but to accept that we simply can't know. If there was a medical reason to get rabies vaccination after every unknown mark appears on the skin, rabies vaccines for everyone would be routine. The reason rabies vaccine isn't routine is because (1) it is in short supply, so you are potentially taking a dose from someone who had a "true" exposure and (2) the vaccine poses risks, just like an vaccine, and sometimes the side effects are severe. My daughter DID need to get vaccine, for a very weird and bizarre exposure, and the doctors were definitely weighing the risks of rabies in her case versus the risk of debilitating side effects (which is rare, but happens, things like encephalitis, paralysis, Guillan Barre). In her case, she met the CDC guideline so she got the shot. You do not meet it, so you are subjecting yourself to an unknown that is costly and exposes you to risk. Still want to do it?

Fishmanpa
12-08-19, 17:02
All valid points NervUs but since when does the dragon listen to reason? :shrug:

Positive thoughts

woaidelrey
12-08-19, 18:16
I just don't know what to do. When the fear is so strong, what else can I do to assure myself?? I do have a bite mark- this is something I can't shake off. What should I think? I keep thinking what if it was a bat..what if?? What should I think? 😭 Online everywhere is saying a lot of times you don't even feel a bat biting you because it can be painless ..

BlueIris
12-08-19, 18:28
Bats have mass, though, and they're clumsy in tight spaces. There's zero chance one could have been under a crowded table without anybody noticing, and that's leaving aside the fact that most bats aren't rabid.

NervUs
12-08-19, 18:58
I just don't know what to do. When the fear is so strong, what else can I do to assure myself?? I do have a bite mark- this is something I can't shake off. What should I think? I keep thinking what if it was a bat..what if?? What should I think?  Online everywhere is saying a lot of times you don't even feel a bat biting you because it can be painless ..

I have been where you are.

This is harsh and hard...but...when I have been where you are, at the bottom of the pit, giving into the thought that "I am going to die" settles my brain. When you are what if, what iffing every two minutes, you are keeping yourself in panic.

When you accept that the worst is happening, and stop the thoughts with "yes, I'm going to be dead of rabies in 2 weeks," you are depriving your brain of what it desires, which is the constant omg, omg omg. It's a way of stopping the adrenaline that comes from taking yourself down the road of the firing squad of questions and prolonging the panic and drama.

I won't bore you with all the details of our story-- and all of the subsequent rabies paranoia it unleashed-- but I was absolutely convinced my child was going to die. There had been a significant delay between the exposure and getting the shots (like a very long delay, well within the incubation period). Not fighting it allowed my brain to move onto other things, like she's ok today. OK today got me through. And I know you feel like you are not OK today, because you think you have muscle pain. My daughter, while all this was going on, woke up one day with a terrible flu and mental confusion and photophobia. She was 4 and talking jibberish and screaming at me about the lights, and omg, that is the last thing a person in a rabies panic wants to hear, lol.

It wasn't rabies, though. She just had a different virus. I waited it out. The confusion and photophobia passed.

You are in a situation where you need to do something to jolt yourself out of your emotional state. Getting the shot might do it and might not. You need a mental health solution. What I did was kind of like exposure therapy, I guess. Trying to use rational thought is another. Don't know if either will work, but you need to experiment with what gets you to a point of being able to function and squash the thought as suddenly as it enters your brain. Only you know what has worked for you in the past. I find that true acceptance is what makes me functional.

woaidelrey
12-08-19, 20:46
I have been where you are.

This is harsh and hard...but...when I have been where you are, at the bottom of the pit, giving into the thought that "I am going to die" settles my brain. When you are what if, what iffing every two minutes, you are keeping yourself in panic.

When you accept that the worst is happening, and stop the thoughts with "yes, I'm going to be dead of rabies in 2 weeks," you are depriving your brain of what it desires, which is the constant omg, omg omg. It's a way of stopping the adrenaline that comes from taking yourself down the road of the firing squad of questions and prolonging the panic and drama.

I won't bore you with all the details of our story-- and all of the subsequent rabies paranoia it unleashed-- but I was absolutely convinced my child was going to die. There had been a significant delay between the exposure and getting the shots (like a very long delay, well within the incubation period). Not fighting it allowed my brain to move onto other things, like she's ok today. OK today got me through. And I know you feel like you are not OK today, because you think you have muscle pain. My daughter, while all this was going on, woke up one day with a terrible flu and mental confusion and photophobia. She was 4 and talking jibberish and screaming at me about the lights, and omg, that is the last thing a person in a rabies panic wants to hear, lol.

It wasn't rabies, though. She just had a different virus. I waited it out. The confusion and photophobia passed.

You are in a situation where you need to do something to jolt yourself out of your emotional state. Getting the shot might do it and might not. You need a mental health solution. What I did was kind of like exposure therapy, I guess. Trying to use rational thought is another. Don't know if either will work, but you need to experiment with what gets you to a point of being able to function and squash the thought as suddenly as it enters your brain. Only you know what has worked for you in the past. I find that true acceptance is what makes me functional.

Thank you so much for this ❤️ I can't thank you and can't express my appreciation enough for these words.

I read these paragraphs so many times and am now trying to come up with my own solutions to address my profound fear. Right now my plan is two fold (1). Accept that I am most likely going to be fine being that nobody saw the bat that day and I didn't feel nor seeing any bat that day. If I was bitten, then everybody else there could have been exposed as well. The chances are really small and the odds are on my side seeing there is only 1-3 cases per year in the US. (2). Accept that if really I am the unlucky one against all the odds- being afriad of rabies in the first place, didn't see any bats biting me, nobody else saw- then I really have nothing that I can do and that it is my fate then.

After writing this down and telling myself these, I am feeling a little better and not in a panic state as much. I know that in the future weeks, I am still going to panic about any little symptoms I may feel, but I really have to practice this and do this for myself.

This morning, I was even thinking about quitting my job that I worked so hard for, because I really thought I couldnt take it anymore and that I am not able to function anymore. This is my darkest phase and the worst I've ever felt in my whole HA journey and I am praying that I will go through this ordeal this time just like any other time.

I am thankful for your kind words. And I will keep you updated :)

woaidelrey
13-08-19, 14:05
My sciatica pain that started last night got a little better this morning, so I'm guessing this is a good sign that it's not R related? Hoping today will be a good day.

woaidelrey
13-08-19, 20:32
Hi guys,

I'm at work and am in the middle of another panic attack. I am trying very hard to keep it together.

The reason why I'm having a panic attack is because I suddenly have a feeling of "going crazy, losing control". My head just feels funny. I have also been experiencing body aches today.
All these symptoms are making me feel like I am starting to experience symptoms and it terrifies me so much because i know if it is, nobody would be able to help.

All these symptoms are really scaring me. I'm a guy and I feel like I just want to cry and leave work.

This is the worst I have ever been. I really didn't feel anything biting me that day and didn't see any bats that day. I really really hope I didn't get bit by a bat that day. If I get through this fear, I will cherish life much more and know that fear of cancer or other diseases are just much less scarier than this big R. Please pray for me as I am going through these stranger symptoms.

Fishmanpa
13-08-19, 20:46
Respectfully.... a little bit dramatic don't you think under the circumstances? I'm a Stage IVa Head and Neck cancer survivor. Take into account I had an unknown primary which accounts for 1% of ALL Head and Neck cancers, I had a less than 50% chance of surviving 1 year and less than that 5 years and I'm 6 years out. I find your post incredibly self absorbed and insensitive. What I had was real. What you're imaging is not! Please seek real life help for the illness you do have.

Positive thoughts

woaidelrey
13-08-19, 20:58
Respectfully.... a little bit dramatic don't you think under the circumstances? I'm a Stage IVa Head and Neck cancer survivor. Take into account I had an unknown primary which accounts for 1% of ALL Head and Neck cancers, I had a less than 50% chance of surviving 1 year and less than that 5 years and I'm 6 years out. I find your post incredibly self absorbed and insensitive. What I had was real. What you're imaging is not! Please seek real life help for the illness you do have.

Positive thoughts

Don't know why Everytime I edit, it keeps deleting.

I didn't mean to disrespect anybody. All I meant was that because I had a lot of cancer fears before as you are able to see from my post history, I have realized that the R fear is really a beast of its own... Didn't meant to put anybody down but to reveal my own feelings/thoughts on this for this moment... Sorry if it was offensive..

BlueIris
13-08-19, 21:02
Speaking from years of personal HA experience, the scariest disease in the world at any given point in time is the one you're convinced you have.

woaidelrey
14-08-19, 01:18
Speaking from years of personal HA experience, the scariest disease in the world at any given point in time is the one you're convinced you have.

That's very true!!!!!!!

woaidelrey
15-08-19, 00:07
These two days have been a little better. The fear is definitely still there whenever I have any symptoms (headache, tingling of the leg, cloudy head". But I have been able to managing it much better now with rationalization. I keep telling myself that there was no way a bat could have flew under the table without being frantic and bit me and flew away without me or anybody noticing. Even if the bite doesnt hurt, but I/we would have felt or seen something. So this has helped a little. I would still think of the horrible images of R, but every time I thought of it, I just tell myself that the chances are so small and that I wouldn't be the unlucky one and then move on to another thought.

NervUs
15-08-19, 00:50
These two days have been a little better. The fear is definitely still there whenever I have any symptoms (headache, tingling of the leg, cloudy head". But I have been able to managing it much better now with rationalization. I keep telling myself that there was no way a bat could have flew under the table without being frantic and bit me and flew away without me or anybody noticing. Even if the bite doesnt hurt, but I/we would have felt or seen something. So this has helped a little. I would still think of the horrible images of R, but every time I thought of it, I just tell myself that the chances are so small and that I wouldn't be the unlucky one and then move on to another thought.

If you have found a way to move on from the thought, then you are doing great!

woaidelrey
15-08-19, 01:00
If you have found a way to move on from the thought, then you are doing great!

I think so! Thank you for your words the other day!! It helped a lot for me. I hope I keep up with today's trend!

HelloPanda23
15-08-19, 05:58
I think so! Thank you for your words the other day!! It helped a lot for me. I hope I keep up with today's trend!
In all honesty, during summer, it’s so common to get bitten. I literally have at least 20 mosquito or spider bites around my body. Whenever I scratch them a decent amount, I can see the way the swelled areas were bitten, and they’re two bite marks right next to each other. It kind of freaks me out but then again, I doubt a bat somehow got into my house, sneaked into my room, bit me while I was asleep, and then dipped; especially a rabid bad at that. Getting a visit from the tooth fairy is probably more common than a visit from a rabid bat. In your scenario, it’s impossible for there to have been a rabid bad under the table. I’ve stated this but I’ll do it again, if there was a bat under the table, you’d know. They’re not ants, they’re quite big, and if they bite, you’d feel it. Bat bites feel like needles as far as ik, and if a bat bit you, you would feel its wings fluttering, or the wind hitting your leg due to the speed of them jolting at your leg. If the bat bit your leg, then it would’ve bitten the legs of other guests because the whole point of the rabies virus is for rabies to continue spreading itself. I think you’re overreacting, so calm down and think rationally. It’s impossible to pin point the cause of the bite, and so you can’t do anything about it anyways, besides getting the rabies shot. Even then, won’t you fear the possibility that you got it too late? In that case, what’s the point of the shot if it won’t relieve your worries? Your time is better spent doing things you enjoy. Rabies is a very scary virus but wasting your life worrying about this virus is scarier. It’s the biggest fear I have at the moment, but I don’t let it ruin my day. I barely consider it at all, however, I do subconciously fear the possibility of dying from rabies, I’m certain a lot of people do. The thing I’m about to state is one of the reasons I live more comfortably, instead of 24/7 fear of this virus. Asian countries are literally full of stray dogs and cats. Believe it or not, 50,000+ people get rabies, most of them being in Asia. If literally all the animals there have rabies, what can poor people living there say about this anxiety? In our case, we don’t have any rabid animals, and a very low percentage of bats have the virus. We’re living very well considering the state of people in these countries, and so why should we be the ones worrying? If they’re living their lives normally, regardless of how likely it is for them to get rabies, why shouldn’t we do the same? Put it simple, I 100% think you don’t have rabies, and I know this won’t be enough to assure you that you’re fine, but I really do wish you the best of luck with your anxiety. :)

woaidelrey
15-08-19, 14:08
In all honesty, during summer, it’s so common to get bitten. I literally have at least 20 mosquito or spider bites around my body. Whenever I scratch them a decent amount, I can see the way the swelled areas were bitten, and they’re two bite marks right next to each other. It kind of freaks me out but then again, I doubt a bat somehow got into my house, sneaked into my room, bit me while I was asleep, and then dipped; especially a rabid bad at that. Getting a visit from the tooth fairy is probably more common than a visit from a rabid bat. In your scenario, it’s impossible for there to have been a rabid bad under the table. I’ve stated this but I’ll do it again, if there was a bat under the table, you’d know. They’re not ants, they’re quite big, and if they bite, you’d feel it. Bat bites feel like needles as far as ik, and if a bat bit you, you would feel its wings fluttering, or the wind hitting your leg due to the speed of them jolting at your leg. If the bat bit your leg, then it would’ve bitten the legs of other guests because the whole point of the rabies virus is for rabies to continue spreading itself. I think you’re overreacting, so calm down and think rationally. It’s impossible to pin point the cause of the bite, and so you can’t do anything about it anyways, besides getting the rabies shot. Even then, won’t you fear the possibility that you got it too late? In that case, what’s the point of the shot if it won’t relieve your worries? Your time is better spent doing things you enjoy. Rabies is a very scary virus but wasting your life worrying about this virus is scarier. It’s the biggest fear I have at the moment, but I don’t let it ruin my day. I barely consider it at all, however, I do subconciously fear the possibility of dying from rabies, I’m certain a lot of people do. The thing I’m about to state is one of the reasons I live more comfortably, instead of 24/7 fear of this virus. Asian countries are literally full of stray dogs and cats. Believe it or not, 50,000+ people get rabies, most of them being in Asia. If literally all the animals there have rabies, what can poor people living there say about this anxiety? In our case, we don’t have any rabid animals, and a very low percentage of bats have the virus. We’re living very well considering the state of people in these countries, and so why should we be the ones worrying? If they’re living their lives normally, regardless of how likely it is for them to get rabies, why shouldn’t we do the same? Put it simple, I 100% think you don’t have rabies, and I know this won’t be enough to assure you that you’re fine, but I really do wish you the best of luck with your anxiety. :)

Thanks Panda. Your first point is exactly what I use to kind of calm myself down whenever symptoms strike. Sometimes my rationalization takes the upper hand, sometimes the fear prevails. Its as if when there is a symptom that mimics R, all of the rationalization just gets overshadowed by the strong fear of R.

I'm currently in the battle between these two- the fear and the rationalization of the situation. It is painful to my psychological and physical wellbeing, but I think the only way to snap completely out of it is time- I assume as time goes by, the fear will subdue quite a bit.

What's weird is- nobody, not a single soul at the party that evening is afraid of rabies or even are thinking about rabies at all. I am the only one that's so concerned. I even asked the owner of the house regarding rabies. She said she has seen bats in her bedroom and she is not worried... She had a guy come over to do bat inspection yesterday. She is just NOT worried. I think if I didn't have the bite marks, then I wouldn't be worried neither.

Anyways, I know I shouldnt be too worried because the scenario is just too unlikely- I don't feel anything down at the table if a bat was flying under there and nobody saw any bats that day.. I think I just need to keep putting this in my thoughts and I have been ok, except for when the symptoms strike, I can't help but think "this is it". I still got a long way to go with this whole thing...

woaidelrey
16-08-19, 01:26
I am having a little relapse right now because of new symptoms i am experiencing. I have been feeling right side of leg pain and right side of abdominal pain, both of which i have never experienced before. I am afraid that it is the R virus traveling up. I know the chances are slim and I am still trying to tell myself that I didn't get bitten by a bat that day because I or other people would have seen that bat coming or flying away.

However, for some reason, it seems like there are times where I have more "positive" force that will help me focus on the brighter side, and when i have that positive force, I kind of tell myself how stupid my fear is. But then, most of the time, the fear of R prevails and I can't see to overcome this cloud. I dont know if it makes any sense. Back on Tuesday, it seemed like I suddenly had an "epiphany" or something and I was like telling myself how stupid I am to worry about something I didn't even see and then that lasted for a while. Now the fear is coming back, and i can't seem to get that positive force or "epiphany" back to combat this fear... at one point, i was even like "i definitely don't have it, and ive been worried for nothing". and then there are times like right now that I feel like i really could be the unlucky one, i mean its either 0 or 100% for the individual right.

does anyone feel like this?

NervUs
16-08-19, 14:10
I am having a little relapse right now because of new symptoms i am experiencing. I have been feeling right side of leg pain and right side of abdominal pain, both of which i have never experienced before. I am afraid that it is the R virus traveling up. I know the chances are slim and I am still trying to tell myself that I didn't get bitten by a bat that day because I or other people would have seen that bat coming or flying away.

However, for some reason, it seems like there are times where I have more "positive" force that will help me focus on the brighter side, and when i have that positive force, I kind of tell myself how stupid my fear is. But then, most of the time, the fear of R prevails and I can't see to overcome this cloud. I dont know if it makes any sense. Back on Tuesday, it seemed like I suddenly had an "epiphany" or something and I was like telling myself how stupid I am to worry about something I didn't even see and then that lasted for a while. Now the fear is coming back, and i can't seem to get that positive force or "epiphany" back to combat this fear... at one point, i was even like "i definitely don't have it, and ive been worried for nothing". and then there are times like right now that I feel like i really could be the unlucky one, i mean its either 0 or 100% for the individual right.

does anyone feel like this?

I don't want to speak for anyone, but I will. lol. Everyone going through ha feels like this.

The cruelty of this whole thing is that the anxiety heightens awareness of the body (little zaps or zings you would not even feel in a less heightened state). For whatever reason, it can also throw out new symptoms. Sometimes, these are real symptoms (like my daughter I talked about before and the photophobia), sometimes not. I will never forget, about 6 years ago, I went through testing for breast cancer. Of course, the process takes a long time, and I began to feel pain in my ribs, which I automatically assumed was metastasis to the bone. One day, I was listening to a radio program on NPR, and they were talking about alzheimers disease. The craziest thing is I would feel the pain shoot when they would mention certain words or themes. Now, it won't be that obvious for everybody, but it made very clear to me how the mind keeps going at this and can produce symptoms or feelings. The sad thing about this is that people with HA can't really trust themselves. It makes it hard to sort a real symptom for an imagined symptom, and it just prolongs the misery and also corroborates the fear. I think it shows that our brains actually crave this crud, for whatever reason!

I guess all you can do is try to assess objectively what you are really feeling. If this is rabies, you would expect worsening today. When I am having symptoms of whatever I'm fearing, that is how I approach it-- I try to not give the symptoms unless I clearly am worsening. Like, if I am waffling, like, omg does that feel worse than it did yesterday?, I do not consider that worsening. It has to be a true, clear, objective worsening before I entertain worry or seeing a doctor.

One time, after cleaning up some mouse droppings (unfortunately, we get intruders every so often), I woke up with the.worst all over muscle aches, which is a sign of hantavirus, which I of course had become expert in after finding the mouse poo. It was about a week or so after the cleaning up, so prime time for incubation. I was positive this was it. I couldn't believe it....until I remembered that, the previous day, I had raked up a metric ton of leaves! It wasn't hantavirus myalgia at all-- just being grossly out of shape. Our minds are always looking to confirm the fear, so we have to fight back a little and figure out ways of testing physical sensations more than the average person would.

I hope your pain is gone today but, if it isn't, just focus on it not being worse. And remember, you did not see a bat!

woaidelrey
17-08-19, 05:01
I don't want to speak for anyone, but I will. lol. Everyone going through ha feels like this.

The cruelty of this whole thing is that the anxiety heightens awareness of the body (little zaps or zings you would not even feel in a less heightened state). For whatever reason, it can also throw out new symptoms. Sometimes, these are real symptoms (like my daughter I talked about before and the photophobia), sometimes not. I will never forget, about 6 years ago, I went through testing for breast cancer. Of course, the process takes a long time, and I began to feel pain in my ribs, which I automatically assumed was metastasis to the bone. One day, I was listening to a radio program on NPR, and they were talking about alzheimers disease. The craziest thing is I would feel the pain shoot when they would mention certain words or themes. Now, it won't be that obvious for everybody, but it made very clear to me how the mind keeps going at this and can produce symptoms or feelings. The sad thing about this is that people with HA can't really trust themselves. It makes it hard to sort a real symptom for an imagined symptom, and it just prolongs the misery and also corroborates the fear. I think it shows that our brains actually crave this crud, for whatever reason!

I guess all you can do is try to assess objectively what you are really feeling. If this is rabies, you would expect worsening today. When I am having symptoms of whatever I'm fearing, that is how I approach it-- I try to not give the symptoms unless I clearly am worsening. Like, if I am waffling, like, omg does that feel worse than it did yesterday?, I do not consider that worsening. It has to be a true, clear, objective worsening before I entertain worry or seeing a doctor.

One time, after cleaning up some mouse droppings (unfortunately, we get intruders every so often), I woke up with the.worst all over muscle aches, which is a sign of hantavirus, which I of course had become expert in after finding the mouse poo. It was about a week or so after the cleaning up, so prime time for incubation. I was positive this was it. I couldn't believe it....until I remembered that, the previous day, I had raked up a metric ton of leaves! It wasn't hantavirus myalgia at all-- just being grossly out of shape. Our minds are always looking to confirm the fear, so we have to fight back a little and figure out ways of testing physical sensations more than the average person would.

I hope your pain is gone today but, if it isn't, just focus on it not being worse. And remember, you did not see a bat!

Thanks again :). Today has been ok for me. Had pretty bad headache but really tried hard to steer away from the thought of R, despite having the bad headache! Work was also super busy, so it kind of distracted me a little bit.

I am kind of trying to distant myself from that scary thought of R and tell myself that maybe I would've even think about this headache or other symptoms If I'm not worried about R. This definitely worked for me today because It allowed me to not give second thoughts to my symptoms.

Thank you again for the kindness of replying me and also trying to reassure me with your past experience. This has been so helpful and it actually made me smile reading this today while I was in a conference meeting at work!

woaidelrey
19-08-19, 14:58
Past weekend was not bad. I didn't think about R that much. It slipped through my mind but I quickly told myself how ridiculous it is and then distracted myself to other things.. I hope this week is good for me. Im still not completely relieved yet because I still get scared and get anxious sometimes about the symptoms... But fingers crossed I get through this ordeal soon 🤞🤞

ErinKC
19-08-19, 15:11
You were much more likely bitten by a spider since you were sitting on a bench. Bats don't typically walk around on the ground (which is why they were found in the attic, not walking around the yard).

woaidelrey
20-08-19, 01:41
Today I have been feeling a little run down. Tired and feeling feverish. It's around the 3 weeks mark, and I'm scared now :(. Still trying to keep my calm and not panic, but deep inside I am scared right now.

Fishmanpa
20-08-19, 14:14
It's around the 3 weeks mark.

Hopefully, when this finally passes, you'll be able to look back and see how you wasted in excess of three weeks worrying about nothing, get help for your anxiety and not allow it to happen again.

Positive thoughts

woaidelrey
24-08-19, 01:32
This week has been really good for me!! I rarely thought of the big R! Only thought of it couple of times and then convinced myself to think of other things! I think I'm finally slowing getting out of this fear, fingers crossed that I don't relapse!!

BlueIris
24-08-19, 05:13
Crossing everything for you!

woaidelrey
03-09-19, 02:48
I think I'm finally getting over this fear!! Past week has been super busy with work and family, I barely thought about it!!! It was great!!!!

BlueIris
03-09-19, 07:06
That's awesome, congratulations!