PDA

View Full Version : Rash/bruise: should I worry?

flappergirl
09-08-19, 23:37
My son has a red/purpley patch on his thigh that he noticed this afternoon. It is like patches of little dots/broken blood vessels and looks like something has rubbed or is some sort of bruise starting. It does not hurt and he hasn’t fallen that we can remember. We did got to laser tag earlier and he noticed it on the way back, so I wonder if the hard plastic vest he had to wore rubbed on his leg. He was wearing thin shorts so not much between him and the vest. When my daughter went earlier in the year, she had a friction rash.

However, I am also worried about meningitis and/or leukaemia. He has no physical symptoms suggestive of either and seems ok in himself. No swollen glands, tiredness or lack of appetite etc. I am thinking I let him sleep and check on him/it to make sure he is ok and rash isn’t growing. I feel I want to call 111 (medical advice line) but don’t want to go to a&e for something that is probably nothing.

Should I worry? Should I call for advice? I am worrying that if I do nothing I might be doing the wrong thing for him but I am also worried that my anxiety will cause him to worry more and go through unnecessary stress of a&e etc.

Help! Advice please!

nomorepanic
09-08-19, 23:44
I really don't think there is anything wrong and it is just your HA taking over but as a mum you have to decide what to do - we can't advise on that to be fair.

flappergirl
09-08-19, 23:47
That’s fair enough. My HA does cloud things and I sometimes cannot see things in perspective: what is something I should worry about or not. 🤦🏻*♀️

ankietyjoe
10-08-19, 11:02
I child without a bruise or rash is a rare, rare thing.

I would give it a day or two and see if it starts going by itself.

flappergirl
10-08-19, 11:40
Thanks, because it just appeared and was quite angry looking, it totally freaked me out! Happily, it is still the same size and not bigger and the colour of it has faded a little, it is more pinky purple than bright red and purple. So that has reassured me somewhat. I shouldn’t freak out so readily, kids have always got something funny going on 🙃🙄