PDA

View Full Version : Rabies fear is back - cat in Turkey

claire92
14-08-19, 06:15
I know that this will be something everyone rolls their eyes at, and I apologise for sounding repetitive, but I'm in turkey on my own and just need a reassuring message. I have had support for my OCD and HA and it's so much better, I've been travelling alone for the last 4 months and I am really enjoying my life again, but something has triggered it once again.

So I'm in Turkey, yesterday I was in Ankara eating lunch and a kitten jumped onto my bench. The kitten hangs around at the restaurant I was eating, I don't think it's officially theirs but the staff look after it. The kitten was trying to get into my bag so I gently picked it up and moved it away, it stretched its leg out and accidentally jabbed me with its claw, through my dress.

I looked in the mirror when I got a chance and while there was no obvious scratch, I do have a few spots there, including one in the area where it jabbed me. I don't know if this was from the jab or not - I always have a few red spots there. However since, it has been stinging.

I know rabies is only a risk if the skin is broken, but how does one know if the skin is broken or not? I actually just went to the doctor, but there was a language barrier and he looked and said there was no scratch. I know there's no like obvious scratch, but is there any risk of rabies transmission?

I apologise again, I know this gets asked all the time but it just seems such a grey area. Obviously if the cat bit me I'd get the shots but I'm just worried about how it can be transmitted and the fact that I couldn't speak to the doctor properly about it made me feel quite anxious.

It's worth noting that I have had all the rabies jabs this year (pre-ex and post as I did actually get bit by a dog in Laos).

If anyone could just let me know what they would do in this situation, I'd really appreciate it. Thankyou.

Fishmanpa
14-08-19, 12:40
If anyone could just let me know what they would do in this situation, I'd really appreciate it. Thankyou.

I'd continue to enjoy what sounds like a wonderful adventure :)

Positive thoughts