PDA

View Full Version : Three nights of broken sleep in a row

NervousSubject
19-08-19, 13:35
I've been sleeping really good for a long while and then all the sudden I'm just having these instances of being up on and off all night, not knowing if I actually slept or just lied still with my eyes closed. Sometimes my mind just races when I try to close my eyes to sleep, thinking of absolutely ridiculous things....

I know that SFI is literally the rarest disease in the world and almost doesn't happen period, and that it's more than just insomnia (more like very early onset dementia) but I can't help but be concerned with my sleep patterns as of late. I don't think I've really "dreamed" in a couple of days. And dreams are usually an indication of deep sleep....

BlueIris
19-08-19, 13:42
You've had a few rough nights, that's all. Maybe try putting the radio on quietly or finding some sleep music on YouTube?

SarahNah
20-08-19, 00:06
I haven't had a good night sleep in over two years! Sometimes it's worse- I know it's hard but I've made it through two years with horrible sleep just fine(ish) sometimes it's hard at work! . but I think blueiris is giving some good advice. Sometimes back round music can really help

ankietyjoe
20-08-19, 00:17
I haven't had a good night sleep in over two years! Sometimes it's worse- I know it's hard but I've made it through two years with horrible sleep just fine(ish) sometimes it's hard at work! . but I think blueiris is giving some good advice. Sometimes back round music can really help

Lol same here, I've been months and years without one single full nights sleep in the past.

SFI is a preposterous worry here. Completely.

LF87
20-08-19, 00:33
I'm in the same boat! Wake up a lot and can't get back to sleep. Not fun x

nightcat
20-08-19, 01:28
Sleep? What’s that [emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lofwyr
20-08-19, 03:38
If I have literally anything to think about, and lately I have had plenty, if I can sleep an hour without waking up I am happy. And lately that has been a hard achievement.

NervousSubject
20-08-19, 10:42
Tonight was even worse, I think I only slept from midnight to 3am and just couldn't get back asleep. I tried everything, relaxing music, melatonin, cbd oil, nothing worked

NervousSubject
20-08-19, 11:19
Please someone just give me one reason why I wouldn't have SFI

ankietyjoe
20-08-19, 11:21

Because insomnia is as common as sand and SFI is as common as unicorn droppings.

BlueIris
20-08-19, 12:47
I genuinely cannot remember the last time I got six unbroken hours' sleep. This isn't a big deal.

Dying_Swan
20-08-19, 12:56
I had to google SFI as had never heard of it. Insomnia isn't nice but a few nights poor sleep really isn't an issue. The more you worry about it, the less likely you'll sleep, in my experience. Whenever I'm tossing and turning and worrying about it, I try to remind myself that the worst that'll happen is I'll be a bit tired the next day. Seriously, try not to fret and you'll probably sleep just fine.

Scass
20-08-19, 13:00
I haven’t slept for more than 4 hours in a row for about 7 years now. And 4 hours is a good stretch. Don’t worry too much, it makes it worse. Sometimes we just don’t sleep well.

lofwyr
20-08-19, 14:17
There have been what, six documented cases of SFI outside of the 40 families that are known carriers of the familial version. That's not 60 or 600 but 6. The question is why would you think you *did* have it?

utrocket09
20-08-19, 16:54

Because anxiety fuels insomnia...it is that simple.

NervousSubject
20-08-19, 19:54
There have been what, six documented cases of SFI outside of the 40 families that are known carriers of the familial version. That's not 60 or 600 but 6. The question is why would you think you *did* have it?

It's just the sudden onset of this insomnia that's scaring me....and it seems to be getting worse.

I know that SFI is extremely rare, but it still scares me. Especially after someone had theorized that sometimes prions diseases can have connections to traumatic brain injuries and I remembered a couple of days ago I hit my head...

ankietyjoe
20-08-19, 20:08
Especially after someone had theorized that sometimes prions diseases can have connections to traumatic brain injuries and I remembered a couple of days ago I hit my head...

And other people theorise that we are all lizard people and the earth is flat.

You're being ridiculous.

bin tenn
21-08-19, 02:17
My fiance experiences sporadic bouts of insomnia. The cause? Anxiety. She doesn't have severe anxiety, but it's chronic and intermittent. She'll go a few years with zero anxiety, and suddenly she's panicking every time she leaves the house. It lasts a few months or a year or two, and the cycle repeats. She recently went to our PCP, and he prescribed low dose Mirtazapine (generic Remeron). She takes it each night at bed time, and she's out like a light. She stays asleep, save for waking up to use the restroom once on some nights. She feels great in the morning, so no negative side effects upon waking. Prior to beginning the medication, she would have loads of trouble sleeping. She couldn't fall asleep at a reasonable time. Even when she did, she'd frequently awaken at all hours of the night, unable to fall back asleep in a reasonable amount of time.

Have you talked to your doc about it?

textsfromthemoon
21-08-19, 08:17
I've been sleeping really good for a long while and then all the sudden I'm just having these instances of being up on and off all night, not knowing if I actually slept or just lied still with my eyes closed. Sometimes my mind just races when I try to close my eyes to sleep, thinking of absolutely ridiculous things....

I know that SFI is literally the rarest disease in the world and almost doesn't happen period, and that it's more than just insomnia (more like very early onset dementia) but I can't help but be concerned with my sleep patterns as of late. I don't think I've really "dreamed" in a couple of days. And dreams are usually an indication of deep sleep....

I get the exact sensation you feel, "not knowing if I actually slept or just lied still with my eyes closed", never had anyone put that into words so well but I totally know that feeling. However I can say, it definitely does not mean you have SFI, I've had that sensation on and off when I've trouble sleeping, I think everyone, but especially anxiety sufferers tend to go through times where they have trouble sleeping, my boyfriend has anxiety too (not HA but GAD) and has the same problem at times with insomnia.

One thing that has helped me is to not put so much pressure on myself to fall asleep, just lay down and try to tell a story in my head or think about something relaxing or even mundane and tell myself its okay even if it takes me a while to sleep or if I don't sleep, usually when I'm not stressing about the act of falling asleep I fall asleep much faster.

WiseMonkey
21-08-19, 09:02
Haven't had a full nights sleep in 30 years but still here and functioning well :)

NervousSubject
21-08-19, 14:02
Well...last night wasn't great, but was a smidge better than the night prior. It took me a few hours to relax enough to go to sleep because I had gotten wound up with sleep worries, but eventually I did and I even recall having a little dream, which meant that at some point, I entered the REM stage, even if it was for a little while.

lofwyr
21-08-19, 16:03
Well...last night wasn't great, but was a smidge better than the night prior. It took me a few hours to relax enough to go to sleep because I had gotten wound up with sleep worries, but eventually I did and I even recall having a little dream, which meant that at some point, I entered the REM stage, even if it was for a little while.
The quickest way to ruin sleep is to obsess about how well or unwell you will sleep. I ended up in a cycle of anxiety once, not health related, but anxiety nonetheless, and I didn't sleep for more than an hour at a stretch for four months straight. Part of that issue was not being able to let go of wondering how well I would sleep, literally being anxious about sleeping.

It's a vicious cycle, try to end it and get help for the anxiety if you aren't. That will be your best remedy for sleep issues.

ankietyjoe
21-08-19, 16:11
The quickest way to ruin sleep is to obsess about how well or unwell you will sleep. I ended up in a cycle of anxiety once, not health related, but anxiety nonetheless, and I didn't sleep for more than an hour at a stretch for four months straight. Part of that issue was not being able to let go of wondering how well I would sleep, literally being anxious about sleeping.

It's a vicious cycle, try to end it and get help for the anxiety if you aren't. That will be your best remedy for sleep issues.

Word

The OP is just using this post as a kind of blog update, flaming the fire of worry.

Not sure if any of the advice has been taken on board or not.