PDA

View Full Version : Stabbed under thumbnail - scared of infection (sepsis/ TSS)

HopeI'mWrong:P
20-08-19, 14:02
Hi, this might sound ridiculous but this morning, as I was rushing to get ready for work, I went to grab a comb and the teeth went under my thumbnail and injured my thumb. I forgot about it as I was rushing, and went off to work.

It's about 5 hours later and it's become painful. I can see that there is a very slight injury there. I have now washed my thumb but before I did I noticed that there was dirt under my thumbnail. Now I'm worried that all those germs that were under my nail have been entering the wound for the past 5 hours! What if it's been inecting my thumb and the bacteria has entered my bloodstream? I don't feel great and my heart is racing, but I have just eaten so I'm hoping that's true cause (I often get palpations after eating).

I'm really worried. Should I get it checked out by a doctor or is that ridiculous?

Thank you!

BlueIris
20-08-19, 14:04
It's a bit ridiculous, yes. The area will be bruised because you damaged the soft tissue, but it's really unlikely to turn nasty.

HopeI'mWrong:P
20-08-19, 19:15
Thank you for replying. I did read your message earlier but I was at work so I couldn't reply. I did read your message though and it helped to calm me down.
I do feel really silly having read it back - I hate getting so irrationally worked up! Thanks again

BlueIris
20-08-19, 19:21
That's okay! It really does happen to all of us.