PDA

View Full Version : World War III?

FrankT
24-08-19, 10:43
The Express is reporting an influx of deadly weapons and that WW3 could be triggered at any moment. Should I start building a fallout room?

BlueIris
24-08-19, 10:50
No, because the Express makes money from terrifying people.

FrankT
24-08-19, 10:53
Well, they're doing a good job at it, aren't they?!

BlueIris
24-08-19, 11:01
Pretty good reason to avoid them, if you ask me.

jojo2316
24-08-19, 11:20
The Express is not known for its accuracy. For reliable information try the BBC or the New York Times

KK77
24-08-19, 11:27
Why would you read/believe such alarmist crappage? I wouldn't wipe my arse with that rag :lac:

FrankT
24-08-19, 11:55
Oh, so what! News is news no matter who's printing it!

KK77
24-08-19, 11:57
Oh, so what! News is news no matter who's printing it!

No it's not, I'm afraid. It's hypothetical crap based on threads of "truth". You need to recognise the difference.

MyNameIsTerry
24-08-19, 12:25
Why would you read/believe such alarmist crappage? I wouldn't wipe my arse with that rag :lac:Considering some news outlets are telling us a No Deal Brexit will cause a toilet paper shortage you might want to keep hold of a few copies of The Express :winks:

fishman65
24-08-19, 20:55
Newspapers, some more than others, need to grab the attention of any potential readers. Alarmist headlines will do that and they get to sell another copy. Truth is neither here nor there for these people.

WiredIncorrectly
24-08-19, 21:31
The Express is toilet paper. Their use of sensationalism is absurd. It's click bait. I have no idea how they're still allowed to run such titles since fake news is no longer supported by social media and Google. For what it's worth you probably shouldn't believe everything you read. I don't know of a single unbias news outlet that reports straight facts.

MyNameIsTerry
25-08-19, 01:44
The Express is toilet paper. Their use of sensationalism is absurd. It's click bait. I have no idea how they're still allowed to run such titles since fake news is no longer supported by social media and Google. For what it's worth you probably shouldn't believe everything you read. I don't know of a single unbias news outlet that reports straight facts.

Exactly. They are all in with certain sides of the political spectrum and do what their owner tells them. It's been notable that some of these newspapers swing from one direction to another...because their owner has changed :winks:

Even the BBC has reduced itself to click bait headlines now.

FrankT
25-08-19, 08:41
So you're telling me this is hogwash? Fake news?

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1169627/hypersonic-weapons-russia-china-usa-donald-trump-putin-nuclear-war-world-war-3

Hypersonic weapons is a big thing, wouldn't you say? On top of that, apparently Kim Jong-un is STILL building nuclear missiles!

BlueIris
25-08-19, 08:48
My goodness, Frank, check all the qualifying words in that article!

There isn't a single hard fact in there - it's scaremongering, pure and simple, designed to sell papers to gullible fools.

MyNameIsTerry
25-08-19, 12:41
Countries spend money on weapons. :shrug: A new type of weapon with serious implications will likely end up encouraging pacts not to use or build them just as nuclear did. But what's any of this got to do with WW3? It seems a lot less like news compared to the trouble we have again with Iran but I don't see you even mention this.

FrankT
25-08-19, 12:47
Nobody told me. :shrug: I mean I did hear they sent B-52s over there at one point, but...

WiredIncorrectly
25-08-19, 12:48
One could argue we're already in WW3 except it's now cyber warfare. The Russians, Chinese and US are all hacking each other. If the Russians did have their fingers in the US election then they've done far more than any weapon could do.

WiredIncorrectly
25-08-19, 12:53
Nobody told me. :shrug: I mean I did hear they sent B-52s over there at one point, but...

If there was any real threat of a war you'd know about. The byline gave it away:

TERRIFYING hypersonic weapons are "blurring the line" between nuclear and conventional warfare, cranking up the risk of devastating future wars, a military analysis has said.

The bold words are the scaremongering words. The hypersonic bit is jargon. They made no reference to the military analyst. Notice how the grammar is also completely off? They used the word analysis instead of analyst. The whole article is a hypothetical situation they've created themselves to scare people. Their goal is to have you click so they can show you ads and earn some revenue. That's their business model. It's trash. Honestly.

Fishmanpa
25-08-19, 16:13
I admit, the thought is scary, especially now with nukes, but I live around 70 miles from DC and if it were to happen, I would have literally seconds (if that) before I was vapor so... :shrug:

Positive thoughts

FrankT
07-09-19, 23:57
Well... even without these "hypersonic" weapons, the risk of devastating future wars is still pretty high. Both sides withdrew from that Intermediate Forces Treaty, remember!

lebonvin
08-09-19, 10:15
If you get vaporized, it will happen so quickly you won't know anything about it.

Kim Jong Un is still trying to launch missiles which don't fall into the Sea of Japan on their way somewhere else.

I think I'll change from the Washington Post to Express which I take is a national Brit daily and not the French magazine. I love fake news. It's entertainment.

FrankT
08-09-19, 10:34
I think I'd know about the meat sliding off my bones and my tongue being burned out!

Scass
08-09-19, 11:57
I think I'd know about the meat sliding off my bones and my tongue being burned out!

I don’t think it would concern you for long...

Pamplemousse
08-09-19, 12:23
The Express is reporting an influx of deadly weapons and that WW3 could be triggered at any moment. Should I start building a fallout room?

No, you should stop buying the Daily Express. It is a rubbish "news" paper. If you want news, go to someone like Reuters - a news agency with no axe to grind.

Pamplemousse
08-09-19, 12:26
I think I'll change from the Washington Post to Express which I take is a national Brit daily and not the French magazine. I love fake news. It's entertainment.

You'll be entertained by that rag, that's for sure. It seems to be aimed at a scared white pensioner demographic.

FrankT
08-09-19, 13:02
Don't encourage them! :ohmy: