PDA

View Full Version : Child lock for hypochondriacs

pav1984
25-08-19, 22:08
Does anyone know if there is a way of setting parent controls on my devices so that i cant access health related websites? I obviously want to keep access to adult content just lock down webmd etc?

Fishmanpa
25-08-19, 22:53
Depends on the app but most browsers have parental controls or add ons. Thing is, you'd have to have someone to hold you accountable, change the password, etc. The dragon is crafty and will get around self imposed restrictions.

Positive thoughts

pav1984
25-08-19, 22:58
Ha ha good point, i didnt think about that but you are right. I will have a play and get my better half to change the password. It will be like being a teenager again 😂

MyNameIsTerry
26-08-19, 02:12
And remember this is not a permanent strategy as it's avoidance thus leaves a fear present you can't look at a health website without panic. But it can be helpful in cutting off a compulsion right now until you get to that place where you can work on removing that element of the faulty wiring.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/features/how-to-block-any-website-on-your-computer-phone-or-network-588357

bin tenn
26-08-19, 02:28
And remember this is not a permanent strategy as it's avoidance thus leaves a fear present you can't look at a health website without panic. But it can be helpful in cutting off a compulsion right now until you get to that place where you can work on removing that element of the faulty wiring.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/features/how-to-block-any-website-on-your-computer-phone-or-network-588357

I agree. I can vouch for this from experience, because I often practiced avoidance when my anxiety was a larger problem. It helped for a time, but I'd always find myself working around those self imposed restrictions eventually.

MyNameIsTerry
26-08-19, 03:14
I agree. I can vouch for this from experience, because I often practiced avoidance when my anxiety was a larger problem. It helped for a time, but I'd always find myself working around those self imposed restrictions eventually.

Indeed. Whilst not a HAer avoidance has always been one of my biggies to tackle in my GAD.

Even if you get someone to password lock it you can find a way. And even if you don't your subconscious notes how you don't trust yourself, and self trust is a big thing for us as well as self reassurance.

And then there is the whole thing we humans always struggle with, tell us we can't do something and we instantly want to do it! :doh::roflmao:

bin tenn
26-08-19, 03:43
Indeed. Whilst not a HAer avoidance has always been one of my biggies to tackle in my GAD.

Even if you get someone to password lock it you can find a way. And even if you don't your subconscious notes how you don't trust yourself, and self trust is a big thing for us as well as self reassurance.

And then there is the whole thing we humans always struggle with, tell us we can't do something and we instantly want to do it! :doh::roflmao:

Haha, no kidding! I have some degree of social anxiety, and avoidance has also been a big hindrance there. Even now, I often find myself subconsciously avoiding situations that have potential to initiate social interaction. I've gotten so much better in that regard, but it's such a habit that I often don't realize I'm doing it until well after the fact.

pav1984
26-08-19, 10:16
Thanks guys. I intended it as a short term measure to break a bad cycle.

lofwyr
26-08-19, 14:13
I will say this too. When confronted with a legitimate (actually diagnosed) serious medical issue, Google provided me with countless valuable resources and a solid support group.

The way I learned to avoid googling anxiety induced fears (with occasional rare setbacks when I have convinced myself the situation is real, or googling will be harmless) is to work my mindfulness. My awareness of mind. As I sit down in front of a computer, or open my phone, I only do so for the purposes I am using it for. If I need to google a meatloaf recipe (trying that one this weekend Fishmanpa ;) ) I limit my activity to that. Temptation to google it pulls at me, sure, but I try to really, conciously only focus on using the internet for the exact thing I decided I needed to look up.

Our problem, of course, is that anxiety is a constant bedfellow, sometimes luring us into thinking "well, it's just a little tingling in the toes, it can't be serious, I will google solutions to it for a home remedy" and before it we are down the rabbit hole looking up MS symptoms and peripheral artery disease etc.

Just do your very best to consciously decide if what you are about to google will feed the dragon or not, and honestly that will be a big step towards recovery. The same ability to make that decision can be applied accross the board in other areas of our anxiety too.