PDA

View Full Version : The rabbit hole is deep with ALS

Hijikata
27-08-19, 10:06
I went to a neurologist who specializes in nerves today (im lucky because in japan you can just go directly to the type of doctor you think you need). My wife had to translate my symptoms which are weakness and loss of coordination in my right hand as well as what I thought was atrophy in my right arm in a certain spot which the the doctor basically said wasn’t even a muscle area lol.

It it was a little hard with the translation but he basically laughed when I said als and said it’s super rare, especially when young and then tested my reflexes which were perfect, my strength which was good although he was more worried about my left hand (naturally weaker) and said I don’t think you have a problem. I told him I have twitches all over as well and he didn’t even bat an eye to it lol

But still it’s hard to let go and believe that I don’t have a problem.

HA sucks lol

.Poppy.
27-08-19, 14:37
Oh yes, it does. I think things like MS and ALS are especially scary because they involve a loss of control; at least that's what always scared me.

It sounds like you got good news on the health front though - have you made steps to address the HA? I swear, meds + therapy changed my life completely.

its1111
27-08-19, 15:41
I am dealing with the same thing- Twitching all over for months and weakness in my right arm. Went to Neuro and is sending me for an EMG in a couple weeks, but said it is "unlikely" to be ALS...I was hoping for more certainty lol
Hope your twitching calms down...I know mine is driving me crazy

tryingtosurvive1
02-09-19, 08:37
Neurologists can tell a great deal from clinical exams. I think you are okay.