PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

pav1984
27-08-19, 13:02
Hi Guys i am not going to ask for reassurance on this post just need some advice. Also if i ask for reassurance in the future and you remember please tell me no. Im pretty sure that whilst this forum is fantastic, used wrong can turn into a dealer for my addiction.

I used to obsessively wash my hands and conquered this by using cbt techniques. I consider myself "cured" of this. My therapist says that i have general anxiety that once my obsession was cured, hanged its hat on my health.

Why therefore do i find the same techniques that worked so wonderfully well before seem to be failing me with health anxiety?

I thought i would ask the group as you all will have experienced the feelings where my therapist has not.

Do you think i have just forgotten how hard it was before and that i should expect to feel worse short term?

I am so fed up of being absolutely convinced that i am ill and it has got worse since i have tried to do something about it.

bin tenn
27-08-19, 13:25
How long have you been focusing the CBT techniques on the health anxiety? It obviously doesn't happen overnight. Keep moving forward, and continue to use those techniques. You can certainly talk to your therapist about this as well. I've learned that CBT and other forms of therapy for health anxiety consist of so many techniques, and if one doesn't work, there's almost always something else to try.

Sorry you're struggling right now, but I think it'll get better sooner rather than later. You just have to keep putting in the effort that you have been doing.

BlueIris
27-08-19, 13:41
Agreeing with Bin Tenn; it can take ages to get CBT techniques working again.

pav1984
27-08-19, 15:36
I have been working on them for a coupleof months. Perhaps i am a little impatient. Thank you.

Fishmanpa
27-08-19, 15:56
Have you downloaded the FREE CBT (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?211324-9-FREE-CBT-ebooks-for-Health-Anxiety) workbooks offered here?

Positive thoughts

lofwyr
27-08-19, 16:26
I find that HA is more resilient than my GAD. I mean, when I am anxious because of a professional problem, or a family problem, there is usually something concrete that can be done towards resolution of some sort. Even if it is a long shot, that sort of possibility helps me disarm my GAD and put my life into perspective.

That is much more difficult for me with HA. Sure, the same principles apply in theory, but in practice "what if the doctor was wrong" and "what if *this* time my upset stomach is cancer, even though it wasn't the last 40 times it was upset" become questions anxiety can easily undermine, and until we are able to apply those same CBT principles to those problems too, it is a tough road.

It took me a LOT longer to put my HA into a healthier place (still have relapses on occasion, but I am able to deal with it much better than when I was at my worst 20 years ago), and by a lot longer, I mean I started therapy 15 years ago and my GAD did well pretty early on, but my HA is just now starting to be under control consistently.

I know it is hard, but be patient.

pav1984
27-08-19, 18:26
Have you downloaded the FREE CBT (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?211324-9-FREE-CBT-ebooks-for-Health-Anxiety) workbooks offered here?

Positive thoughts

Thankyou. I will do. I am a keen reader so will start tucking into them

pav1984
27-08-19, 18:36
I find that HA is more resilient than my GAD. I mean, when I am anxious because of a professional problem, or a family problem, there is usually something concrete that can be done towards resolution of some sort. Even if it is a long shot, that sort of possibility helps me disarm my GAD and put my life into perspective.

That is much more difficult for me with HA. Sure, the same principles apply in theory, but in practice "what if the doctor was wrong" and "what if *this* time my upset stomach is cancer, even though it wasn't the last 40 times it was upset" become questions anxiety can easily undermine, and until we are able to apply those same CBT principles to those problems too, it is a tough road.

It took me a LOT longer to put my HA into a healthier place (still have relapses on occasion, but I am able to deal with it much better than when I was at my worst 20 years ago), and by a lot longer, I mean I started therapy 15 years ago and my GAD did well pretty early on, but my HA is just now starting to be under control consistently.

I know it is hard, but be patient.

Thank you. I will keep going as I am too stubborn to give up. This also makes me feel a little better. I was worried that I was just weak or something because positive changes havent happened instantly.

I appreciate everyones comments and advice. Thank you all.