PDA

View Full Version : Waking up in a panic/gasping for air

portomar1970
29-08-19, 20:48
So last night I woke up 2x gasping for air. This has been happening on and off for the last year and I am really starting to get nervous. I know I should not have done this, but I looked up symptoms and it says it could be anxiety/panic attacks but also sleep apnea and now I am super scared. Has this or does this happen to anyone? It wakes me up and I literally can't catch my breath for a few seconds all the while trying to tell myself to calm down and it's terrifying to say the least. Thanks for any input.

bin tenn
29-08-19, 22:46
Yep, very familiar. I experienced this off and on for several months, a couple years ago. No idea the root cause, but I assume it was anxiety (I was at my worst around then). It hasn't happened since.

ankietyjoe
30-08-19, 10:49
It's very common with anxiety. The cause is muscle tension, as the diaphragm is a muscle, it's affected along with all the other muscles when you're tense. It can be exacerbated by the kind of rapid, shallow breathing that occurs with anxiety, which can cause a mild state of hyperventilation.

Lin71
31-08-19, 22:37
I've had just one night-time panic attack so I know it can be scary. Try to sleep on your side and not your back as it can help keep your airways relaxed- I've done this ever since and touch wood it never happened again.